D98GT Paxton 5.0 Progress Thread (pic heavy)

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
The car is a 2012 with an automatic and is no different than several other from this and other boards. The total break down of mods:

MOTOR
Stock motor that has never been opened
Standard satin Paxton (Can't beat that novi2200 price!!)
I typically remove the paxton air inlet while at the track, otherwise, its an open filter on the end of it.

The car dyno'd at 570-580 on 93 octane

FUEL
Injector Dynamics 1000cc
KB BAP
(For the Mustang vs Camaro Shootout) 105 octane
(For the s197 meet) 93 octane with Torco

EXHAUST
Off road x pipe
mac axle back

Drivetrain
Stock 6r80 with a PI converter (2800-3200)
Stock 3.15 gears
Still on the stock driveshaft (however, I do have a one piece sitting at the house that I just might slap in)

Wheel/Tire
15" RACESTAR front runners (used the 2010 brake kit to allow it to fit)
17" RACESTAR rears with a 26" ET STREET DR (just stepped down from a 28" tire)

Suspension
Stock haha; nothing changed other than removal of front sway bar
----------------------------------------------------------------------

On September 27, 2013 we had a S197FORUM meet where we went out and definitely had a good showing against the SUPER CHEVY guys out at ROYAL PURPLE RACEWAY. On that night I went out on a 3.6" pulley on the brand new tires that I just mounted that day. This was going to be my first 1/4 mile passes since getting tuned and I was hoping to go 10.9x but was REALLY hoping for a 10.75 as a best. I went 10.69 on my FIRST pass before a cool down even.

My best pass that evening was as follows:
This was backed with SEVERAL 10.6 passes throughout the day

The DA that pass was around 1800 so I was really excited to run such a great number especially after seeing the huge dyno numbers that the E85 paxton cars were throwing down. I made a lot less power but was able to run the number with them ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Earlier this week I had seen Billys thread about the Mustang vs Camaro event in Ennis and told Larry (Stretch) that if he went then I would bring another TSS car. This is a good 3+ hours from where I live so it was a pain in the ass.
On Friday I went to Jasons (onebadgsx) house and he pretty much installed a 3.33" pulley and a new belt for me while I watched haha. Now keep in mind I know this is an aggressive pulley especially for a stock motor however I am about to wastegate my centri so I was only running this pulley for the event only. The wastegate & meth go on soon :hi: After this I drove it home and put it on the trailer for the long haul up to Ennis
I arrived at the hotel late and had to wake up early to make it to the track on time. On the way in at the gate I happened to snap this picture as well which made it at least 3 TSS cars running in the event.

After a horrible time trying to get my car off the trailer (kept bottoming out), I made 2 passes during some time trials. I didn't want to do burnouts even as I hadn't even got the car in boost since the pulley swap so I wanted to datalog a run first. The first real lazy pass resulted in:
and then I knew then with the extra MPH that I was going to be fine when I actually made an all out pass.

Put the car on the scales and I guess it wasn't so bad with my obese ass in it:

During my two qualifying runs I actually launched the car and let it eat. Here are those two runs:

The 1.51 60' is the best that my car has ever seen. This was done by flashing the converter from a low rpm. I, yet again, exceeded my goal with these two runs and with even better air coming in I knew it had potential to get good later on.

So after sitting in Billys (05stroker) car trailer for a while Larry decided to call me out with GRN13 which all of you should know about that car. I believe he even mentioned that he didn't even need a helmet while racing against my silver piece of shit haha

GRN13 was car 257, I was car 258 so you can see by the results that the driver mod resulted in him getting the win; it was a close race though and I didn't mind at all being the victim of some Ford vs Ford crime in this case.

I tried to go 9s but managed to pop different intercooler pipes off on my attempts with the good air. I do have T-BOLTS too so it's my fault for not making sure they were fully on I guess. My final pass before getting on the trailer when an intercooler pipe came off; I trapped 110.75 in the 1/8th which is right before I lost boost and got out of it; ran 10.511 @ 112.09 so I think I would have had it that pass!!

A huge thanks goes out to Billy for sharing his trailer, To Jason for installing my parts for me, to Larry for calling me out and making me drive the damn car hard, and to the rest of the guys that were in the group. We had a great day of racing even though the weather conditions weren't the best.

It's safe to say that Triangle Speed Shop has the coyotes moving with a paxton!

Last edited:

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Great passes and nice write up. As long as you keep the fuel to it you should be fine with that pulley. How much boost are you seeing with that pulley?

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Thank you for mentioning the fuel; I will edit my post and include that bit of information. I DO NOT suggest anyone to run this pulley without at a minimum mixing in TORCO. For this event I was running approximately 5 gallons of race fuel (105 octane) and I brought torco with me just in case if I began to run low and had to throw in 93octane which I did not have to do so.

I actually do not have a boost gauge in this car so the scary part is that I don't know!

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Yes sir; I was very pleased.

DA was +770 during the pass against GRN13!! We wont get that weather down in houston for a while

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I was really impressed with your car and the times you put down.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Moostang took a lot of video. He'll post them up soon.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very nice ETs. Almost breaking into the 10.0s is getting it done, especially with your mods. How much boost are you running? I think you are making more then 580 rwhp with a 136 mph trap at 3810 lbs.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I had made that number while on the 3.6 pulley which I am now on the 3.33". I've never been real big into dyno numbers especially as im an auto with a converter ;)

I lack a boost gauge until my sensor kit comes in from aeroforce so I could only "guess" at the current moment.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was a lazy day for me! I was beat from a long weekend and Sunday is typically Family Day around our house. I should get some videos up later today/tomorrow morning! Make sure you subscribe so you can see them in your sub boxes.

Every single one of those TSS cars moved out! Hell, Green 13 even pulled the front tire on a pass!

syqu7ypa.jpg

Last edited:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Nice progress! I couldn't come up there until late in the day, just in time for the rain, so I didn't get to see much of anything. Was hoping to bust 10.50 in that air.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back