Dealership Issue

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Basically I want to know how mad I should be, and how far I should take this...

I bought a brand new Roush Stage 3 from a local dealership. One of the final items they added which was key in making my decision to buy the car was the phase 3 upgrade (80mm pulley and supporting mods). They assured me that the Ford warranty was unaffected by this upgrade, which I know I probably should have known better. So I went through with the purchase.

The warranty issue was eating at the back my mind so I called Roush and then Ford who both told me that the upgrade voided my powertrain warranty. At this point I was beyond angry, so I brought the car back to the dealership and asked them to give me the keys to my trade in. They denied that the warranty was voided, and it actually took a call to roush to verify that what I was claiming is true. The dealership told me they would purchase a third party warranty, but they were going no further than that.

My questions are 1) should I be as angry as I am? 2) is there anything I can do besides complaining to Ford?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be angry, you still have a warranty. Enjoy your ridiculously fast supercharged 5.0.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I would be angry but only to a certain extent. As long as the dealership is going to stand by their word your good. GET IT IN WRITING! BTW I beat the dog snot out of my coyote with 630 to the tire for 4 years before I upgraded the motor...and that was only because I wanted to.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know of a aftermarket warranty that will pay anything while the factory warranty is supposed to be in effect. You may need a lawyer. I would do so ASAP, if you really want to void the deal and get your car back.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
The third party warranty is from roush so it should pay. Thanks for all the input guys I do appreciate it!

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stage 3 are forged motora right? If Roush is standing behind you, I think you are good.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Its still covered under the 3 yr 36000 miles, whats the problem?

It's not covered under the ford 3 yr 36k mile, and this is the issue I am having heartburn over. This would be a warranty purchased from Roush to cover the phase 3 upgrade.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Basically I want to know how mad I should be, and how far I should take this...

I bought a brand new Roush Stage 3 from a local dealership. One of the final items they added which was key in making my decision to buy the car was the phase 3 upgrade (80mm pulley and supporting mods). They assured me that the Ford warranty was unaffected by this upgrade, which I know I probably should have known better. So I went through with the purchase.

The warranty issue was eating at the back my mind so I called Roush and then Ford who both told me that the upgrade voided my powertrain warranty. At this point I was beyond angry, so I brought the car back to the dealership and asked them to give me the keys to my trade in. They denied that the warranty was voided, and it actually took a call to roush to verify that what I was claiming is true. The dealership told me they would purchase a third party warranty, but they were going no further than that.

My questions are 1) should I be as angry as I am? 2) is there anything I can do besides complaining to Ford?

You could certainly complain to Ford about the ethics and or knowledge of your dealership. If the dealership will guarantee any issues that are voided by the factory warranty then it's no big deal.

It's only the powertrain warranty, biggest problem might be the MT-82. Remember that the second you use an aftermarket tune the powertrain warranty is most likely voided. It would depend on what failed and if it was a result of the tune. Things like too much power causing parts to break or too much spark advance causing a piston failure.

I found my car to be more fun without the powertrain warranty. You could just snag an aluminator right now as a precaution, lol.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
You could certainly complain to Ford about the ethics and or knowledge of your dealership. If the dealership will guarantee any issues that are voided by the factory warranty then it's no big deal.

It's only the powertrain warranty, biggest problem might be the MT-82. Remember that the second you use an aftermarket tune the powertrain warranty is most likely voided. It would depend on what failed and if it was a result of the tune. Things like too much power causing parts to break or too much spark advance causing a piston failure.

I found my car to be more fun without the powertrain warranty. You could just snag an aluminator right now as a precaution, lol.

My wheels are already turning on this... If I go aluminator right now I would still have a warranty and I could sell the stock engine with 300 miles. I don't think any company in their right mind would warranty the MT-82 at that kind of power level.

Thanks again to all!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My wheels are already turning on this... If I go aluminator right now I would still have a warranty and I could sell the stock engine with 300 miles. I don't think any company in their right mind would warranty the MT-82 at that kind of power level.

Thanks again to all!

Ford warrants the Aluminator? Are there restrictions to it? It's certainly a very good deal for what you get. I'm with you on being proactive. A running motor brings a whole lot more than one that's trashed, lol.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Does not make sense. We just sold a Raptor here at the Dealershiop I am at and we installed a Roush Supercharger and Exhaust and it did not change the Powertrain Warranty! I know alot was based on us using the Roush Tuner and not an aftermarket tuner.

garner

forum member
Reaction score
Does not make sense. We just sold a Raptor here at the Dealershiop I am at and we installed a Roush Supercharger and Exhaust and it did not change the Powertrain Warranty! I know alot was based on us using the Roush Tuner and not an aftermarket tuner.

That's because raptor only has one phase. On the stangs there's 3 different phases of the roush supercharger systems. As I understand it, phase 1 keeps factory warranty, phase 2 and 3 have optional roush warranty

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you go aluminator, get billet oil pump gears. They dont come with them and it will be easier to do with the engine out of the car.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
stage 3 is the 80mm pulley, bap and open cone filter. 675 crank HP... and NO power train warranty. ( except roush parts..like the blower itself).

The stage 2 is 85mm pulley, and cone filter, no bap, 625 hp....and NO warranty..except roush parts.

Stage 1 is 90 mm pulley, oem air box, no bap... 575 crank hp....and comes with a 3 year, 36k mile warranty.

Oem plane jane GT comes with a 60K mile power train warranty.

Roush advises those with the 675 crank hp kit to seriously consider suspension upgrades.... on top of the roush provided suspension. (IE: lca relocates etc, etc)

So yeah, u get a warranty, but only on roush parts, like the blower. NOT the eng nor the MT-82, etc.

Dunno why they don't just stuff the alumimator in there in the 1st place, its a $9k option from roush. The all forged 5.0 aluminator is just the forged version of a coyote..and cost a measly $1k more than the coyote from FRPP . Comes with a 2 yr, 24 k mile warranty if bought in the crate from FRPP. Dunno what u get if roush installs it. Roush uses the 11:1 CR version of the aluminator, not the 9.5:1 CR version.

Folks who have added headers and a 82mm pulley are getting 745 crank hp from them. Now whether the chinese built MT-82 will handle any of this is another question.... ditto with the clutch. The ford oem traction lock LSD and oem 2 piece DS will probably not last too long either.

High power is great, but stuff like warranty..or lack of...and the stuff downstream that has to handle the power has to be well thought out. The 575 crank hp is probably plenty for a street car..and at least comes with a 3 yr, 36k warranty.

Sure u could put the aluminator in there... but what's next, the T-56 tranny ?
One of the fellows on the roush forum has 595 rwhp from his automatic..its an animal. 82mm pulley, brenspeed tune, bap and cone filter and LT's. The oem roush 275 tires don't work. He replaced em with 315mm nitto invo's on 11.5" wide forgestar rims.

Your dealer sorta led u astray with the warranty..which is only roush parts. That's a helluva lot of $$ invested in a new car..with zero power train warranty.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back