Deciding on what cam and tuner question.

S1mustang

Reaction score
I have an 06 3v that I made a previous thread on, basically I'm having a fella tear it down to fix. Price ended up being a little cheaper so that leaves a little room for this idea.

Car is basically stock minus cold air and exhaust/tune. I'd love to have the sound of a lopey cam but from what I read I can't decide of its even worth messing with. I think I'd go with the Ford performance from what I've heard but found a set of comp cams for $300 on Facebook market place. I use the car as a daily and have done a lot of suspension work to make it a good cruiser and I just need it to he reliable so based on that should I even worry about it in the first place?

I have a Bama tuner from when I purchased the car. It helped but never has been quite right. I want to move to a lito tune but would that mean I need to buy a new tuner altogether or can I download them on my Bama rev-x and upload them to the car?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I have an 06 3v that I made a previous thread on, basically I'm having a fella tear it down to fix. Price ended up being a little cheaper so that leaves a little room for this idea.

Car is basically stock minus cold air and exhaust/tune. I'd love to have the sound of a lopey cam but from what I read I can't decide of its even worth messing with. I think I'd go with the Ford performance from what I've heard but found a set of comp cams for $300 on Facebook market place. I use the car as a daily and have done a lot of suspension work to make it a good cruiser and I just need it to he reliable so based on that should I even worry about it in the first place?

I have a Bama tuner from when I purchased the car. It helped but never has been quite right. I want to move to a lito tune but would that mean I need to buy a new tuner altogether or can I download them on my Bama rev-x and upload them to the car?
Be careful with a set of cams for 300.00 and scrap the Bama tune.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If I followed your other thread correctly your freshening up a hi milage motor. I think that’s a great time to add some cam and a new tune. I shy away from used parts most of the time unless I can hold it in my hand before I buy.
That said, I believe you will have the best results with your new motor by selecting something like Brenspeed’s Detroit Rockers and a Brenspeed tune with new tuner. I ran those cams with a few bolt-ons and a Brenspeed tune for several years and was very happy with the performance and sound.:driver:

whitmanink

Reaction score
as far as cams go ,, thats up to you,, tuners,, ? id stay away from brenspeed,, id go lito all the way

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
moved to chat, "part choice" questions are not tech.

TomL

Reaction score
You can use your RevX tuner with a tune from Lito. What exhaust mods do you have? My 05 had Ford cams when I bought it but stock exhaust with different axle back mufflers and some unknown crappy tune. I bought the Bama tuner at first and used their tunes but they sucked. I installed Kooks long tubes with H-pipe and had Lito tune it and it made a completely different car out of it. I went with the H-pipe because I didn't want that raspy sound of an X-pipe.

Last edited:

S1mustang

Reaction score
You can use your RevX tuner with a tune from Lito. What exhaust mods do you have? My 05 had Ford cams when I bought it but stock exhaust with different axle back mufflers and some unknown crappy tune. I bought the Bama tuner at first and used their tunes but they sucked. I installed Kooks long tubes with H-pipe and had Lito tune it and it made a completely different car out of it. I went with the H-pipe because I didn't want that raspy sound of an X-pipe.

Mine just has mufflers deletes for now. My buddy went from a x to an h pipe I think I'll go with an h in the future. Thanks for letting me know the rev x can be used.

Thanks for the info everyone else! The 300 dollar cams are brand new BTW. They are local so im gonna go look at them.

S1mustang

Reaction score
Ended up going with howards rattler cams. Should be done next week, very excited!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Ended up going with howards rattler cams
Hi S1mustang,

I'd be very interested in how your experiences turn out running these cams from a curiosity standpoint as I've heard of very few folks running them.......no one I know of has posted any dyno results on them & I'd also be interested in how the tuning came out as well (though most likely not to get this info due to tuner sandbagging, social media wars).

From watching a few YouTube videos of some folks who've installed a set of these Howards Rattler cams, they do sound really good & present a much smoother\rhythmic chopping cadence--which I really like--than videos of Hot Rods or Detroit Rockers but no data on peak HP\TQ or available HP\TQ.

If possible, please post your results if you have a mind to. I'd appreciate it.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Howard cams have been around for many, many, many years and used in professional race engines with excellent results. Strange no one has installed them on their 3V 4.6L? I am curious to know how they produce power and sound.

They are one of the few companies that makes variable roller lifters too. Rhoads was the other company that made variable flat tappet lifters back in the day...

I have a set of protype variable roller lifters from DBA Smart Cams out of AZ (defunct now). Good vacuum at idle and perform like a solid lifter at mid-to-high RPM.

Good luck on the install and post your finds.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Howard cams have been around for many, many, many years and used in professional race engines with excellent results. Strange no one has installed them on their 3V 4.6L? I am curious to know how they produce power and sound.

They are one of the few companies that makes variable roller lifters too. Rhoads was the other company that made variable flat tappet lifters back in the day...

I have a set of protype variable roller lifters from DBA Smart Cams out of AZ (defunct now). Good vacuum at idle and perform like a solid lifter at mid-to-high RPM.

Good luck on the install and post your finds.

Oh I forgot, the lifters are on my 87' 5.0 not my 05' GT.

S1mustang

Reaction score
Hi S1mustang,

I'd be very interested in how your experiences turn out running these cams from a curiosity standpoint as I've heard of very few folks running them.......no one I know of has posted any dyno results on them & I'd also be interested in how the tuning came out as well (though most likely not to get this info due to tuner sandbagging, social media wars).

From watching a few YouTube videos of some folks who've installed a set of these Howards Rattler cams, they do sound really good & present a much smoother\rhythmic chopping cadence--which I really like--than videos of Hot Rods or Detroit Rockers but no data on peak HP\TQ or available HP\TQ.

If possible, please post your results if you have a mind to. I'd appreciate it.
I'll be sure to post the results!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back