Finished Installing My Brenspeed Paxton Throwback - Tune Question

Ron

Reaction score
Hello all,

I finally finished up the installation of a Paxton Throwback. Thankfully no issues (yet) and everything went pretty smooth. I took the car for a ride and to me the tune seems pretty conservative. I opted for Brenspeed's 91 tune.

When the car was NA, I used Lito for a 91 octane tune. It was far superior than anything else that I used.

Would it be worth it again to use him to tune the car w/ the Paxton? Or am I asking a dumb question and just do it?

Thanks for any input!

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd get Lito to tune it.

Do you have E85 in your area?
I'd also consider relocating the AIT sensor to the elbow or somewhere in the Intake Manifold. as it is probably tuned conservatively due to lack of data for the true AIT.

Ron

Reaction score
I'd get Lito to tune it.

Do you have E85 in your area?
I'd also consider relocating the AIT sensor to the elbow or somewhere in the Intake Manifold. as it is probably tuned conservatively due to lack of data for the true AIT.

Thanks for the reply. I put the IAT in the intake manifold.

I'm sure Lito can make it great.

Last edited:

crjackson

Reaction score
Another vote for having it tuned by Lito (or any good dyno tuner) and dumping the Brenspeed tune.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ron, just make certain you have an 02 bung sensor welded in between your exhaust manifold and cats along with a laptop pc, as Lito only does custom remote tuning via data logging.

-Rocky

Never mind, I didn't notice you had a Lito N/A tune until after posting. My bad lol.

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
Lito did the tune on my Vortech Si last year (basically the same head unit as your Paxton). It has a bit of a stumble when it's cold but everything is spot on once it's half way warmed up. I'll reach out to him again after I pull the car out of winter storage.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I wouldn't let Brenspeed tune my lawnmower.

That's funny. :D I've been very happy with my Brenspeed 91 octane tune for the last 7 years but I agree with everyone else that Lito is the best way to go on ANY 3V.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I put the IAT in the intake manifold.

I'm sure Lito can make it great.
Hi Ron,
Nice setup! Is an ATA intercooler upgrade a future item?

Curious....just where in the OEM IM did you mount the IAT & how (assuming the separate Ford threaded IAT sensor was used) did you do it? I'd like to do the same for mine while I have it off the car so I can get it out the way.
Appreciate any info given.

Ron

Reaction score
Hi Ron,
Nice setup! Is an ATA intercooler upgrade a future item?

Curious....just where in the OEM IM did you mount the IAT & how (assuming the separate Ford threaded IAT sensor was used) did you do it? I'd like to do the same for mine while I have it off the car so I can get it out the way.
Appreciate any info given.

Thanks! Possibly down the road I'll add an ATA intercooler. I am enjoying it as it is right now.

I mounted the new Ford IAT in the 2nd runner on the passenger side (per Brenspeeds directions that came with the IAT). You will need a 37/64 drill bit and a 3/8 - 18 NPT tap.

The two wires from the IAT go to the gray and gray/red wires that go to the MAF sensor plug. I had to add some wire to them to make it across.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Thanks! Possibly down the road I'll add an ATA intercooler. I am enjoying it as it is right now.

I mounted the new Ford IAT in the 2nd runner on the passenger side (per Brenspeeds directions that came with the IAT). You will need a 37/64 drill bit and a 3/8 - 18 NPT tap.

The two wires from the IAT go to the gray and gray/red wires that go to the MAF sensor plug. I had to add some wire to them to make it across.
Thanks for the info! So these composite intake runner walls are thick enough to support the sensor....good to know. Did Brenspeed give any words of wisdom as to why the 2nd runner on the passenger side or just to put it there? Just curious to understand why in this particular area?

Since reading your response it occurred to me that, since I'm using Steeda CMDP's I "could" install the IAT sensor in 1 of the intake runner ports in the CMDP's instead of the plastic intake itself but I've a sneaky hunch that location would be too close to the engine & would be overly affected by radiant heat thus not true IAT....

Appreciate the response!
:beer:

osgruber327

Reaction score
Someone please remind me ....... why is it that we dont like Brenspeed?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have my IAT sensor installed in the underside of the plenum. It has been there since 2018 and has seen 17+ PSI and have not had an issue. The composite was reasonably thick there, I found a writeup on modular fords but can't find it anymore.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

Their customer service sucks and so do their tunes. After I specifically stated to them that I went back to the stock 3:55 gears from 4:10s, they e-mailed the wrong tune revision not just once, but twice for 4:10s anyhow. When I confronted Doug about it, he denied it by claiming they e-mailed the correct tune revision for 3:55 gear ratio and pointed the finger at SCT as their piss poor excuse by claiming it was a software issue in the X4 that was responsible. Needless to say, Brenspeed lost my business as a valued customer as a direct result of their incompetence and unacceptable customer service support. Since making the switch over to JDM engineering, they always provide outstanding customer service by treating their customers with respect by taking the time to address any tuning related concerns/questions and if whenever a tune revision is required? they always make it right for the customer with no excuses whatsoever. That being said, just as Laga mentioned in his quote

I wouldn't let Brenspeed tune my lawnmower.

Pretty much says it all IMHO!

Laga

Reaction score

I bought a supercharger kit, long tube headers, h-pipe, and cam from them. Along with their tunes for all of them. When I had a problem with poor idle that was so incredibly rich it burned your eyes to be next to the car. And it had to idle so long to warm up so I could back it out of the garage without dying, that I bought a remote starter so I didn’t have to sit there for 15 minutes. Their reply was,” Hey, you have a supercharger and performance cam, it’s going to run like that.”
After Lito tuned it, it didn’t run like that. It runs great.
I bought the Detroit Rocker blower cam because I wanted the old school muscle car sound. Brenspeed promised they could deliver. Here are the results with their tune. https://youtube.com/shorts/Nn10fnR2Me4?feature=share

Here is a couple of days later after Lito tune. https://youtube.com/shorts/tDDFjRCTdJI?feature=share

Not only did it sound better. It only requires 30 seconds of warmup instead of 15 minutes to back out without dying, and it drove smoother and pulled harder.

Did I mention that the Edelbrock wire harness for the SC had a short in it, and I was promised by Brenspeed a new one that never came?

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I have my IAT sensor installed in the underside of the plenum. It has been there since 2018 and has seen 17+ PSI and have not had an issue. The composite was reasonably thick there, I found a writeup on modular fords but can't find it anymore.
Thanks for the posting! That's where I was initially thinking bout relocating it there at the rearward end as there the internal IAT when running would be technically the highest (end of air tract) so the PCM would be the most accurate calc'ing air mass but wasn't knowledgeable enough on IM's composite thickness (or which specific areas of IM) to support drilling\tapping, thus my question to the OP.

Also keeps the IM's visual appearance clean......

That's when I got the idea to install it into 1 of the 2 rear IM runner openings (#4 or #8) of my CMDP's instead but that area may be too close to the cyl head & pick up too much radiant heat....also dawned on me that it may be affected by any injector spray into air stream during intake stroke......I haven't heard of anyone doing this w\ a set of CMDP's (nitrous nozzles, yes but not IAT relocate) so I couched that idea for now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back