Deleting VCT

LASO

forum member
Reaction score
I have searched till I gave myself a headache, what are all our options as far as deleting the VCT?

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
The most common method is by using lockouts. I have them in my car and they have been working great for the past 30k miles. There are also adjustable cam gears out there. Check out livernois and BBR websites.

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
There's four options. Solid lockouts, spring loaded lockouts, CC limiters and full cam degree kits(mostly high hp cars).

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
When I say high hp, I mean not your average built shortblock. Most cars I've seen run a cam degree kit had 800+ hp. Cheap bbr lockouts do the trick. You also highlighted 2 options. Other being Comp cam 3v limiters. These allow some variable timing to still be tuned. There expensive,loud and a pita to install without the c clip. But on the other hand I had better fuel mileage with the limiters vs lockouts.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Anyone running Phaser Eliminators?
Like what ?

I have mine locked , that is eliminating the vct and turning the phaser into a solid unit . I also made some cnc aluminum plates to eliminate the vct unit and solenoid.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Those are the ones that I researched and found allot of post of them leaking lots of oil after installed. The Paschal Performance units are a nicer looking pc. and I found nothing but good reviews on them . I ended using a cam gear instead , but my interest was just to degree the cams. If you are trying to degree the cams then some sort of adjustable gear , be it cam or crank , is necessary . If you just want to delete vct then locking the factory gear is all that is needed. Waht are your plans ?

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Any links to these?

http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbrcamlockouts.html

yhst-14752229404082_2123_89465169

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can someone give me a quick explaination of VCT and why you would want to lock them out? I am not familiar with the theory behind VCT. I certainly do not want to hijack this thread so if the question is not appropriate here just please ignore and I will ask it elsewhere. Thanks

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
VCT! Variable Camshaft timing! It can advance and retard timing on it's own basically. You only delete or limit it for aftermarket cams mostly. Aftermarket cams have higher lift, so basically your either limiting or deleting what the ECM does so you don't have piston to valve slap.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
There's a lot of NSR cams that don't "require" limiters or lockouts by BBR, Brenspeed, and Comp, although most "recommend" them. I think anything under a .450 lift cam shouldn't need them but overlap could play on it. The VSR cams .480+ would probably require limiters or lockouts, and .550+ probably lockouts.

I got Comp's Limiters just in case of a FUBAR like my ECM decides to go postal or something, even though I only have Comp NSR Stage 2's. Also, Comp recommended the limiters, so I figured if they were covering their asses, I'd cover mine too. I feel the limiters also leave a bit wider range of fine tuning in the powerband that you can't get with lockouts. I can see the need to lock the VCT out on higher HP cars though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back