Detailing Questions-Answered

Discussion in 'Keeping it Clean' started by DKS, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mikeysgt

mikeysgt forum member

Yeah I thought that seemed really high. Id do my friends cars for 250 though just to help them out.

2. Torched S197

Torched S197 forum member

That's why I don't do it for a job/a lot. I spend a lot of time on vehicles when I do them so I put 7-10 hours in. I don't bring a car in and then 30 mins later start another like detail shops

3. mikeysgt

mikeysgt forum member

If I could get 600+ for a car id spend the time to do it right and not rush it. Dont think any of my friends or people around here would pay that much for a good detail job like that. Ill look for someone to start with and hope they like the difference and maybe they know someone I could charge a little more to get more cash

4. Torched S197

If I could keep myself from spending so much time and not try and get it perfect I would probably charge less. When I get done is basically a full correction but you'd be surprised how many people will actually pay up for a good detail.

5. GrnBullitt08

GrnBullitt08 Dale Jr

Average job takes 8-10 hours for me.

I don't use it as a source of income, it's all pocket cash.

6. GrnBullitt08

GrnBullitt08 Dale Jr

The unfortunate side is that people don't understand how long it takes you so they aren't really willing to pay $600-$700. They don't get the process, I've found that you can try to explain it until your blue in the face and they don't get why it's gonna cost them that much to detail there car when the business offer a "detail" for $99.

So it's a hard market and you have to be selective. Your average person can't afford to hand you there paycheck to clean there car, they would rather go to $10 wash lol

7. Torched S197

That's where it gets you. And I'm not gonna do people's car for what a detail or car wash will. I usually only do around 15-20 cars a year and they are usually car people like me and most are older that have houses here Florida and Ohio so they've got money. You've been down here for poker run or the boat races right? You know how some of those guys spend money and they'll do the same on cars

8. GrnBullitt08

GrnBullitt08 Dale Jr

Yes, we attend the Key West Offshore Races. Money is no object to those particular people.

9. Torched S197

I thought you were the one that came down to lake Cumberland last year or the year before?

10. GrnBullitt08

GrnBullitt08 Dale Jr

I was there Sept 2012, I did not attend Cumberland this year, cracked cylinder head. I seen there was another fatal crash out of the gates again.

11. Torched S197

I thought that was you. A couple guys from Missouri I think got killed this year

12. 2012 2.9

2012 2.9 forum member

what do you guys Think about Zeno

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

13. 28ONE

28ONE Senior Member

Last car I detailed entailed 2-stage correction, glass/paint/wheel coating, 2 coats BF BlackICE. Required about 12 hours of work, charged my friend $500. He was ecstatic when I returned his ride. He told me about a prior $200 detail job he paid for, I laughed. Told him they used a glaze to hid the swirls. I'm just detailing enthusiast with an addiction lol, don't really have time to do detailing on the side, except for family. I think its funny when the first thing I look for on any ride is swirls!

Ultimately at the end of the day, you have to decide how much your time is worth. Paint correction requires time and labor.

14. Bullitt 3309

Bullitt 3309 forum member

You mean Zaino. That ship sailed a few years ago, much better products on the market now. Sealants are mainstream now, and are more flexible in application as well.

15. HitandRunDriver

HitandRunDriver Amateur Goon

And the semi-permanent A/C Quartz and other products have advanced as well. CG has Second Skin which I don't think anyone on this forum has used just yet.

16. 2012 2.9

2012 2.9 forum member

My bad okay what would you recommend going to be receiving my 2014 explorer sport ruby red looking for a complete package I could spend some money I don't mind putting the time in thank you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

17. 00blkvert

00blkvert forum member

I defiantly love their membership it's saved me so much its not funny. I was thinking OC but then I thought of Cquartz to.

I think the biggest thing for detailing is location. Here in NC there isn't a huge market for detailing. I can convince someone for 300 or so but 600 and above will almost be impossible. Plus most of the people that have the high end cars to "professionals" r Body shops and they think it looks perfect even though I can see haze, rotary tails, etc.

^ this exactly

18. Bullitt 3309

Bullitt 3309 forum member

You will get various answers to this, but first how in depth do you want to get? By hand or machine? From there it boils down to amount of time you will dedicate to maintaining the finish. CarPro has some great products that minimize the amount of work keep your paint looking great. Google CQuartzs and [email protected]

19. 5iv

5iv Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner

Okay so I pulled a pretty stupid move.

I heated my tint on my front windows and tried to pull it off but it just took the actual tint off and not the sticky gluey material that goes on the window.

What's the best way to get this off and looking new again? It's got scratches and swirls and crap all in it and I want it gone.

20. 5.0 Probie

5.0 Probie forum member

^^ This... I would add. Not all of us live in a rain free or relatively rain free area. We all use our vehicle differently.

Mine is a daily driver... Has two dang big-ass rock chips, replaced radiator, and all kinds of road grime... And only 70 days is in our ownership... Makes no sense whatsoever to drop $400-$600 on the detail job I want when tomorrow morning a rain-cloud will come through and pull all the oils and road grime back into the cracks and crevasses of the car.

It is one thing when we have long times of sunny weather or a trailer queen (So to speak), then once or twice a year it is worth it... For the rest of us it is $11 car washes and three or four weekends over the year of detail lov'n shadetree style...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.