Did some data logging, Vortech (non-HO)...

BigGunzCP

forum member
Reaction score
Did a little data logging the other night and I have some questions. Unfortunately, my timing wasn't logged. I thought I added that parameter, but I guess I missed it :furious: I'll have to do some more runs. Anyways, my questions are about IAT readings. My IAT sensor is relocated after the blower and from what it looks like, the temp is rising to around 160 degrees at redline, then when I let off it continued to climb to about 184 deg. (did 3rd gers pulls, outside temp was around 55 deg.). Does this sound about right? I am showing about 5 psi on my bosst gauge max. It seems high considering my old '03 Cobra would pull timing at 150 degrees with a forged motor...

Also, I noticed my MAF voltage went to about 4.8xx. Isn't 5 maxxed out? I don't know too much about all the parameters I need to log. Any seggestions? I am using SCT Xcal 2.

Thanks guys!

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
yeah 5v is max. your iat temps are ok at redline but they shouldnt climb after you get out of it. you want to log. STFT & LTFT maf counts & volts & air#per min. , rpm, throttle position absoulute, fuel pump duty cycle, pressure drop across injector, might as well log the fans too since yours might not be comming on at the right speed/temp.

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your IAT will climb when you close the throttle after your run. But will come down again when you open it again to maintain speed. I was confused by this at first. But my reasoning now is that you significantly reduce the flow of fresh air into the intake when you close the throttle. That low flow air will have lots more time to absorb the heat given off by the blower/intake manifold. When I sit at idle, my IAT rises about 20 degrees with a hot engine (compared to steady cruise). When I turn the car off, the IAT will actually rise to ECT until I start it again and get some fresh air in there. I've got a DashHawk and I monitor this stuff in real time as I'm 'experimenting' on the road.:naughty:I can send you the LiveLink .cfg file that I use when I do datalogging, if interested.

BigGunzCP

forum member
Reaction score
All excellent info. Thanks! Now I just need to learn how to interpret all the data once I have it collected. How much adjustment will I be able to make to my tune, if necessary?

BigGunzCP

forum member
Reaction score
Did some more logging today, and I'm a little concerned. It was much warmer, around 80 today. My IAT's STARTED at around 170 degrees and at the top of 3rd gear was around 210 or 215 degrees. I'm not sure if I logged the correct spark parameter but it looks whacky. Looks like I'm at around 8 or 9 degrees adv at the top too... Can someone decipher this data for me if I post it??? :kill:

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's hot! Even my ECT never goes above 200F. Honestly I don't know what non-intercooled IATs are supposed to be though. The highest I've seen intercooled is 120F while at steady cruise this past summer. Sounds like your PCM is pulling timing too, which is good (saving the engine). But 8-9 degrees is very delayed spark, and it can't be good for the exhaust valves. Are coolant temps normal? Is the CAI getting good air? How about the IAT sensor? I wonder if it is bad, or if there is a bad electrical connection to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back