Divers check in

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Bringing this back since my wife and I are just starting out.... We are doing our first confined pool dive tonight, then another on friday. then to the lake for the weekend. if all goes well, We should have our PEDI Open Water Diver shortly...
We have a 7 day trip in exuma bahama in april, should be fun!

oh...expensive sport, guess I'll put off the forged bottom end til the fall (or when it blows up).

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i'm certified, did it when i was in high school, i plan on trying to go alot this year once the waters warm up a bit. i love going to catalina

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Just found this thread, NAUI certified. Lived by the ocean all my life, always surfed the waves, now I prefer to live under them. I've done several wreck dives, NJ is covered in ship wrecks. I'm working my way towards master diver, I'd like to do something with diving for a career.

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
I'm PADI certified open water and rescue. I haven't been diving in years though. I wanted to become a volunteer rescue diver when I was going to get on with the FD, but I live in Ohio, and here there really isn't such a thing as rescue diving...by the time the dive crews show up it's a recovery. That would also take alot of the fun out of leisure diving.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Me and the wife are thinking about taking a course to get are open water class 1. Thought it would be fun to do something outdoors together and to take some trips to scuba. As we have enjoyed traveling on cruises and tropical designation over the past and would be awesome to do some underwater exploring.

I got certified when I was very young (10 yoa) and did six or seven dives. Couple in a springs in FL and a few in the gulf of mexico. I also had a chance to do a night dive, which was awesome and still remember it today very well. Take in account this has been more than 20+ years ago now... lol. So can't remember a lot when it comes to all the technical parts of diving and would definitely need to take the course back over to be refreshed.

Would like to see what some of you guys who are big into scube recommend for gear? Been looking at mask, snorkles, BC, etc... There is a lot of company's brands and stuff out there now. When I went I was young and just rented the gear. Other than my mask, snorkle, fins and boots... No way my parents was going to fork out for nice gear for just a kid.

Like to hear recommendations!

Been looking at Scubapro, Cressi, Atomic, etc....

Last edited:

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
So far I have purchesed tone of gear for this equipment intense sport.

Aqualung BC for me and the wife.
Aqualung Legend Supreme regulators
Suunto zoop and Vyper computers
Dive knifes
Mares and Henderson wetsuits 5mm
Gloves, boots, dive skins and hoods
Dive bags
Aqualung snorkels
Assortment of masks
Etc... lol

All I will have left to get are the tanks and from most I hear is the last piece equipment most people buy.

So far we have enjoyed it and are looking forward to are check dives the first weekend of March.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
So far I have purchesed tone of gear for this equipment intense sport.

Aqualung BC for me and the wife.
Aqualung Legend Supreme regulators
Suunto zoop and Vyper computers
Dive knifes
Mares and Henderson wetsuits 5mm
Gloves, boots, dive skins and hoods
Dive bags
Aqualung snorkels
Assortment of masks
Etc... lol

All I will have left to get are the tanks and from most I hear is the last piece equipment most people buy.

So far we have enjoyed it and are looking forward to are check dives the first weekend of March.

for tanks i prefer steal tanks. i'm very light and so i tend to need a lot of excess weights so the steal tanks offset that quite a bit. irrc steal tanks don't need to be hydrostatically tested as often as aluminum.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Me and the wife are thinking about taking a course to get are open water class 1. Thought it would be fun to do something outdoors together and to take some trips to scuba. As we have enjoyed traveling on cruises and tropical designation over the past and would be awesome to do some underwater exploring.

I got certified when I was very young (10 yoa) and did six or seven dives. Couple in a springs in FL and a few in the gulf of mexico. I also had a chance to do a night dive, which was awesome and still remember it today very well.

Been looking at Scubapro, Cressi, Atomic, etc....

Springs are boring!! Haha Was it around Defuniak springs by chance?

I have some scuba pro stuff and it's alright I'm not overly impressed with their fins I have.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Tasty water haha. I got certified there in November, it's a good place to learn and freshen up your memory for sure.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Tasty water haha. I got certified there in November, it's a good place to learn and freshen up your memory for sure.

Awesome , me and the wife are looking forward to it in March.

Like I said this is a new hobby for us and hoping to be able to do a lot more dives in the future. The LDS is pretty active and usually go somewhere once a month if not more.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Nice, if you ever come to orange beach let me know! I'm down there constantly as my family has a place there. There's tons of places to dive down here and spear fish at night.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Nice, if you ever come to orange beach let me know! I'm down there constantly as my family has a place there. There's tons of places to dive down here and spear fish at night.

That would be awesome... We have some friend that live in Destin that we stay with a few times during the summer also. We live so close we seem to go a lot during the warmer months on the weekends and such.

Let's definitely stay in touch.. would be awesome to go spear fishing at night. Too cool!

There is a aircraft carrier dive in August the LDS is going to that I am dying to see. Only bad thing is it is really deep and you have to have 25 or more dives in to go with the group. Hoping I can get them by then.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Isn't it only like 100 feet deep? I can't remember, but I've been fishing near where they sank it.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't it only like 100 feet deep? I can't remember, but I've been fishing near where they sank it.

I think you are right. 80 feet to the tower and 135 feet to the deck, around 200 to the floor.

We also have plans to do some diving in April on a cruise we are going on. Costa Maya, Honduras, Belize and Couzmel... should be fun.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
My wife and I plan to get dive certifed when the waters warm up....which down here shouldn't be too far out.

Shortly after, it'll be about time for a larger boat.

BlackBullittZ

Reaction score
I've only dove once and that was 2 weeks ago in Mexico. Did a 2 tank dive and I only freaked out once when we were descending the first time.
It was awesome and my wife and I plan to get Scuba Diver certified so we don't have to go through the pool training in the future.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Just finished up my checkout dives over the weekend at Vortex Springs. Had a great time and can't wait to go do some more diving in the near future.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back