Dyno tested 2 tunes

adolph807359

Reaction score
I had the chance to dyno Bamachip's93 race and BBR's 93 tune this weekend. First was BBR's and got 304.0hp/339.4ft-lbs. Next was Bama's and got 317.7hp/353.7ft-lbs. Then i got brave and sprayed 100shot -4deg with Bama's tune and got 410.7hp/500.7ft-lbs. I havn't gotten around to getting a tune for the nitrous yet cause i just finished the bottle and adding a NANO SYS. so dont flame me.Now i like Dougs tune but i've been driving around with BBR's cause my daughter has been using my car lately(till i fix the heater core in her s10) :helpme: and its easier for her to drive. Sorry i dont know how to post the dyno graph but i only read the fourms and dont post much.

adolph807359

Reaction score
Opps yea you might want to know that to. Mods are C&L racer intake,delete plates,long tube headers(Stainless Works) offroad h-pipe, flowmasters muff. SCT LIVEWIRE tuner with everybodies mail order tunes well allmost everbodies. allso a swaybar delete. hurst shifter, 1 piece drive shaft, under driver pullies, upper and lower cont. arms.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i dont care which of my tunes make more power. i just know which one gets down the track faster.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
The one that makes the most hp/tq, SHOULD get you down the track faster, unless it makes so much power that it wont hook, then the other would probably get you down there faster.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The one that makes the most hp/tq, SHOULD get you down the track faster, unless it makes so much power that it wont hook, then the other would probably get you down there faster.
Unless the one that has a higher peak HP/TQ has less power throughout the powerband, which is possible.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Unless the one that has a higher peak HP/TQ has less power throughout the powerband, which is possible.

I agree, or could be running too lean at high RPMs. Do you know what your A/F ratios were on both tunes while on the dyno? Graphs?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can't make a judgement on which tune to run just because of peak numbers. It's all about the average, you guys sound like a supra board. All you care about is peak numbers and not the curve.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Thats a mighty big difference between the two tunes I have both of there tunes and I sure cant feel that kinda differance in the two. With that much you could sure feel it. We need to see the graphs

adolph807359

Reaction score
Sorry i dont know how to post the graph but i got the info. I did change the tunes before every run so the computer didnt have a chance to relearn anything and its been my experience that you loss power after each back to back run on the dyno.The av.hp for BBR is 231.7hp/309.9ft-tq and BAMA's is 246.4hp/320.7ft.tq. I do run the BAMA tune at the track with my best time of 12.7 in the 1/4 and 8.0 1/8. havnt tried the BBR yet.

adolph807359

Reaction score
Thats a mighty big difference between the two tunes I have both of there tunes and I sure cant feel that kinda differance in the two. With that much you could sure feel it. We need to see the graphs
The only diff. I can tell is BAMA's tune takes off from idil and BBR's starts pulling hard at about 2500-3000 whice is why i like it for the street.

adolph807359

Reaction score
I agree, or could be running too lean at high RPMs. Do you know what your A/F ratios were on both tunes while on the dyno? Graphs?
Didint get to use the a/f on this dyno day but have on another and it was 13-1 across the pull with the tail pipe mount for BAMA's tune. I heard thats not the best to measure but my plugs look ok until i get a dyno tune.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You would have needed to do more pulls with each tune to get a better estimate.

My car on the dyno after cams with the previous brenspeed tune, made 308rwhp first pull, a min later, second pull made 321rwhp and the thrird pull about 2-3 mins later made 332rwhp.

The 3v likes heat, once the cars heated up and the fuel pressure is good it makes more power than cold.

I been on the dyno around 4 times since i got the car and the additional pulls make more power than the first pull everytime.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to see an avg. on both. Like 3 of each pull in similar operational temeratures.

However, you're compairing our 93 octane street tune to the Bama 93 octane RACE tune.

So, that's about right in the power difference. Our race tune is very similar to BAMA's race tune. We've compaired them on the dyno here before.

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
The 3v likes heat, once the cars heated up and the fuel pressure is good it makes more power than cold.

No...they don't. They are just like every other engine. They like warm oil and cold cylinder heads. Period. Only reason for a higher dyno reading is the driveline fluids (transmission/rear end) are also heated so they don't consume nearly as much power as cold fluids.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to see an avg. on both. Like 3 of each pull in similar operational temeratures.

However, you're compairing our 93 octane street tune to the Bama 93 octane RACE tune.

So, that's about right in the power difference. Our race tune is very similar to BAMA's race tune. We've compaired them on the dyno here before.
Would a street and race tune really make a difference in dyno number or is the difference throttle response? I dynoed bama's race and tq tune back to back. 1st race- 298RWHP, 308RWTQ; 2nd 91 tq 298RWHP 309RWTQ; 3rd 91 tq (again) 296RWHP, 308RWHP. Looking at the dyno chart, the lines on the graph almost mirrored each each other.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Would a street and race tune really make a difference in dyno number or is the difference throttle response? I dynoed bama's race and tq tune back to back. 1st race- 298RWHP, 308RWTQ; 2nd 91 tq 298RWHP 309RWTQ; 3rd 91 tq (again) 296RWHP, 308RWHP. Looking at the dyno chart, the lines on the graph almost mirrored each each other.

Yes. There is a lot more timing in the race tunes.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Yes. There is a lot more timing in the race tunes.
That's comparing your race tune and street tune? Doug's 91 tq and 91 race provide nearly identical hp/tq numbers and the track times are nearly identical, really the drive when comparing these two tunes. The race tune does have a touch throttle. That might be the only difference as far as I can tell. And Race Tune sounds cool :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back