Dyno tune, Mike Rousch, Mid Atlantic Performance

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Decided to pull the trigger on live dyno tuning my car. Left it in the hands of Mike Rousch, owner/tuner/technician of Mid Atlantic Performance here in Richmond VA. Engine is just about broken in, and the longer I had it, which is about 14 months now. I knew a canned tune just wasn't what was best for me or my motor. So after some research and emailing back and forth with Mike a few times. Off to Mike it went. I am lucky enough to have two shops here in Richmond that specialize in Mustangs. But after talking with Mike I knew right away this is where I needed to go. His customer service is unmatched. He really impressed me with his level of customer service, and you can tell he treats everyone equally and professionally, whether the job is big or small. And I couldn't be happier with my decision. Car made 402/370 to the tire. He said since this motor is barely broken in with only 1100 miles on it that is pretty good power for what I have into it. Maybe even in a few thousand more miles and the motor really broken in it may even free up a few hp. The number is what it is, a number. My real goal here was to get rid of my Bama canned tune and know I have a reliable safe tune done live on a dyno by a respected professional. And trust that for now I am making the most power I can throughout the curve and maintain drivability. Mike made me a separate tune for open track if and when I decide to take my car to VIR and have some fun. Picked up the car and it is worlds apart in drivability compared to my Bama tune. The throttle feels like a cable throttle, power delivery is smoother and puts out the amount of power I actually give the pedal. The motor just seems happier. Sounds silly when you say it but it's the best way to explain it. Not to mention the whole experience was awesome. Mike is a great guy, he takes the time to answer all your questions, give you updates and return calls and emails. So you know your car is in good hands. If you're close to Richmond VA he is definitely the man to see. He has a real passion for what he does. He's not just some guy advertising his business and collecting money while other guys do all work. And if you're not in the area he does email tunes with you data logging back and forth till he is happy with it. He is a site vendor here so hit him up! If you have any other questions just drop a comment. This thread is not so much for me or to talk about my power or me trying to compare my car to anyone else's out there. It's really just great feedback and great review for Mike and his shop. So if there is anyone ever in the market and they happen to come across this thread, it makes their decision that much easier. If anyone else wants to share a good experience they had with him, please feel free!

Video he took of a pull

Dyno sheet, just for fun. I made 402/370. He used STD correction and the factor was 1.03 so if you divide by that my uncorrected numbers should be around 390/359. That day the conditions were, 84.60 deg, 29.81 inhg, and 49% humidity. Now I know the current widely used correction is SAE. But he uses STD I guess. If you calculate for SAE my numbers would be about 392/360. Which is pretty close to my uncorrected numbers. Some people say STD is a "fluffed" read out but the reality is, is that it's just a different calculation. One is not right or wrong. STD is just the more optimal conditions of the two. And where we live it's not uncommon to see similar conditions in the fall/spring. So for me they are pretty realistic. As you see SAE is closer to my uncorrected numbers because they are closer to my actual conditions where we live on a cool summer morning. My tune was done in the morning in the middle of July. Now if we lived somewhere else in the U.S., like Denver, I would not be able to argue these points. And would probably want to stick to SAE for comparison purposes to other people because it is more widely used. And at that altitude probably won't see conditions any where near STD. And uncorrected numbers up there will probably just depress you. :p

dyno sheet.jpg

If you're on tapatalk and can't see my signature here are my specs/mods

13 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Roush air box, Stainless Power long tubes and off road X, factory mid pipe with resonators, and Roush axle backs. Stock 3.31's and drive shaft, clutch, ect. On a 285/40/18 tire.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Been using Mike for 4 years for tuning and whatever work I can't do, great guy and concur with your assessment of his passion. Glad to see you went to him and were pleased with his work and congrats for getting rid of the Bama junk, you get what you pay for!

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Been using Mike for 4 years for tuning and whatever work I can't do, great guy and concur with your assessment of his passion. Glad to see you went to him and were pleased with his work and congrats for getting rid of the Bama junk, you get what you pay for!

yup! and this is really a thank you to him. Ever since I have got out of the military I have been in some type of sales or customer service position. I understand what its like and know great service when I see it. I've been a service advisor at a BMW dealership for some time now, and with cars, especially performance modification work, there is so much outside of your control that can happen, its very important to excel in the areas that you can control. And that's the quality of your work and the level of customer service you provide. So if I can earn him any more business for a few minutes of my time, whether it be this post or by word of mouth, its the least I can do. People are always so fast to rant when they get shit service, most people don't take the time to talk about the great experiences.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
You have had this car for 14 months and have 1100 miles on it?! Good lord man are you in a competition with Darren? Lol

Very nice car and pulls.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
You have had this car for 14 months and have 1100 miles on it?! Good lord man are you in a competition with Darren? Lol

Very nice car and pulls.

Yeah haha, shortly after I got it I ended up moving near a co-worker and he just picked me up for work pretty much every day on his way in, I just got him lunch every once in a while. It was cheaper than driving this and I like to keep in the garage looking clean when I can. And just drive it for fun. Recently switched to night shift for more money and have to drive it a little more. Now I try to drive the wife's Escape when she doesn't need it bc I don't go in till 4pm.

Last edited:

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I saw that temp on the chart and I wondered when, thanks. Mike will have mine back on the dyno, with the new intake pipe and BA500, next week.

yeah he started pretty early in the morning, at like 7am. I was hoping for a little cooler temps. But I feel it did well considering.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back