engine block ???

whitmanink

Reaction score
so im trying to find a block to build ,
and alot of ones im finding are complete mustang engines with 160+ miles on them,,
and want 2 grand . (no thanks)

so a guy local here has a 01 4.6 block thats out of a truck or suv ,,
this is good cuz i can inspect the block good before i buy so i have less of a chance of getting a bunk one,

but are all 4.6 blocks the same castings?
i see on mod max they sell iron blocks for 3v but says some modification required?

anyone with knowledge on this subject matter?

FredB66

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a rebuildable block and having trouble finding one at a decent price. From what I've learned so far (primarily searching on this forum), the Mustang 3V blocks are casting number 3L2E-6015-CC. There are CA and CB versions that are interchangeable and commonly found in various years of Expeditions and Explorers. The CA/CBs are reportedly weaker but I haven found out exactly how they are different other than an extra hole under the timing chain cover that needs to be plugged. If you're planning a high HP build then stick with the CC block. Well, that's what I think I know. I'm still trying to educate myself on this, so hopefully others will chime in with some better info.

whitmanink

Reaction score
i have a 4.6 \5.4 rebuild book, and all i can get from it on block interchangeability is that, most dohc block\heads are interchangeable, but some problems may arise here and there, where as any sohc engine \block combo are interchangeable ,, ,, so im guessing any 4.6 iron block will do , with minor changes to the timing cover with new bolts and thread work, the book talks about as well for the sohc

gbstang

Reaction score
why not just get a new block? Aluminator etc. you can still find them.. why not cross over to a coyote?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
so im trying to find a block to build, and alot of ones im finding are complete mustang engines with 160+ miles on them, and want 2 grand . (no thanks)

so a guy local here has a 01 4.6 block thats out of a truck or suv, this is good cuz i can inspect the block good before i buy so i have less of a chance of getting a bunk one,

but are all 4.6 blocks the same castings?
i see on mod max they sell iron blocks for 3v but says some modification required?

anyone with knowledge on this subject matter?

You could get a complete 4.6 3V engine from a truck, except that it'll have a cast iron block.

Vehicles equipped with the 3-valve SOHC VCT 4.6L include the following:

Ford Mustang GT 2005–2009 300 hp 320 lb⋅ft
Ford Mustang Bullitt 2008–2009 315 hp 325 lb⋅ft
Ford Mustang GT 2010 315 hp 325 lb⋅ft
Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006–2010 292 hp 315 lb⋅ft
Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2006–2010 292 hp 315 lb⋅ft
Ford F-Series 2009–2010 292 hp 320 lb⋅ft

Note that only the Mustang engine came with an aluminium block. The rest were cast iron, though the heads are the same on all engines (including the 5.4 3V).
The truck engines also came with shorter duration camshafts and a longer runner intake manifold, so you'd have to swap the Mustang versions over if you were rebuilding a truck engine.
The only issue you might find with Modular 4.6 blocks that didn't come in an 05-10 GT is that the engine mounting bracket bosses might be in a different location. Otherwise the architecture is basically the same, and you can still bolt 3V heads onto 2V and 4V blocks. The strongest is the Teksid aluminium block used in 96-98 Cobras, though they're probably like gold dust now and expensive if you can find one.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
That’s what I remember reading. Pretty much any 4.6 block can be used. The heads will fit and you need a Mustang front cover to locate the accessories correctly.

Jack F

Reaction score
The strongest is the Teksid aluminium block used in 96-98 Cobras, though they're probably like gold dust now and expensive if you can find one.

The Teksid can also be found in the 1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII. Also, the 3V Mustang block is generally considered to be at least as strong as the Teksid.

whitmanink

Reaction score
yea i was having reserves about using the cast iron block , but i guess it wont be a thing than for me cuz i got everything from my blown motor yet ie.(front cover, cams , intake ect ect)

why not coyote swap? well good question , and i can only think of one reason,, about a $4000 jump more to get the 5.0 running ,, and who knows what other demons will creep up with the swap,,
that , and with the extra $4000.,,, for $2300 i can turbo it to 450+ rwhp and take that coyote to gapplebees ,,of course as soon as i get a motor the rods will be changed and most likely pistons,so i can get the 450 and up no problem

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
than its time for a better 6 speed trans

Agree. A TR6060 from a wrecked GT500 would be the most inexpensive route. Otherwise opt for a new T56 Magnum XL.

why not cross over to a coyote?

A reasonable alternative except that it would cost a minimum of seven grand, and most Coyote swaps end up costing considerably more. There's also the time factor (usually tens of man hours) required to complete it.
It's much cheaper both in parts and labor to build an all forged 4.6 from the ground up. For the same cost as a NA Coyote swap, you could have a boosted, all forged 4.6 that makes a lot more power. It's definitely more cost effective, and you'll have an essentially brand new engine instead of a used, possibly high miles Coyote that may need some refurbishment.

whitmanink

Reaction score
just to be clear on my " yes and no" is because the machine shop a wk ago said the block should be more than fine to bore out , and the ridge ream would eliminate the scratch on the top wall, and a .20 over would clear the bores,, i told him id prolly want .30 over just to be safe, ..

so its a no in the sense that the 800 buck u wanted for the block is about the machine shop work wil be,
and if i got your block i was gonna have it bored and honed new so i can build it,

your heads tho are what i would have wanted most, but i want to go new so im buying 2 new heads from mod max,, and put heavy springs in, but truth be told your heads i have no idea the condition and if the caps were put back on right in the proper places ect, so its an iffy thing,,

thats nothing on you, just saying how some people dont always know certain things and still do things ,not knowing they are breaking somthing or going to break somthing , one reason i mostly buy new

mattjames

Reaction score
Note that only the Mustang engine came with an aluminium block. The rest were cast iron, though the heads are the same on all engines (including the 5.4 3V).

The Explorers had aluminum blocks IIRC. But that may have been the 2V ones now that I think about it

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back