EPAS Terrible Shudder

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Vorshlag's got a 2013 Mustang, and if that model still had the problem then I would have expected them to hit the issue by now. But I've not seen them say anything about it for their 2013 car, only their 2011 car. Maybe I missed something?

They didn't change the bushings on their 13, only the 11.

GT_350

Reaction score
I would like to see what happens with this, actually I would want to test the rack in a 3V car but as there are none here except the swap we did, can't. I would like to see how a boss EPAS would work in a 3V car. Giving that the speedo is working, maybe the EPAS works too with the old PCM. As there a lot more PCM calibrations with different templates than EPAS versions, it should work.

No 3V cars used EPAS it's a conventional rack and pinion.

Only reported EPAS rack problems on this forum and from what I've seen from other forums are on 2011 5.0's.

I've put all the FRPP Boss 302R/S (less coilovers) suspension parts on my 2012 Boss 302 and to date I've not had any problems.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe yall didnt see where i said my car has this problem and its a late 2012 build, therefore its not only a '11 problem.

Big Stig

forum member
Reaction score
This makes me nervous about doing suspension mods. It's probably a good thing I'm broke.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Vorshlag's got a 2013 Mustang, and if that model still had the problem then I would have expected them to hit the issue by now. But I've not seen them say anything about it for their 2013 car, only their 2011 car. Maybe I missed something?

We haven't done any front LCA or front bushing mods on this car...

_DSC4870-S.jpg
44_MG_5219-S.jpg

_DSC0581-S.jpg
_DSC0604-S.jpg

But we did add some high end double adjustable AST coilovers with remotes, stiffer springs, a bigger front swaybar, WL rear LCA brackets, and WL adjustable panhard bar, along with 18x10" wheels and 295mm Nitto NT-005 tires to this car. Not a peep from the EPAS.

DSC_6217-L.jpg

And we've tracked it 3 times, without issue. But again - we never touched the LCA bushings, which seemed to be the trigger on our red 2011 GT.

This black 2013 GT above is for sale. More details on the mods we've done can be seen at this page: http://www.vorshlag.com/cars-2013gt.php

Thanks,

choate

Reaction score
I have what may be turn out to be a really stupid question about this...

If the 2011 cars are experiencing this problem but the 2012+ cars are not (having read through this entire thread, I get the distinct impression that this is a 2011-only issue), and the steering rack part numbers are different between the 2011 cars and the 2012+ cars, might not a swap to a 2012+ rack also solve the issue? Or would that be no cheaper than a M-3200-EPAS unit?

Admittedly, the M-3200-EPAS solution might be quite a lot better in terms of overall feel and such, and the above presumes full compatibility between the 2012+ steering racks and the 2011 racks (both in terms of physical fit and computer interface at the software and hardware levels)...

My car experiences a slight vibration/shutter but not at all like in the video. Mine started after I got aftermarket wheels. I have checked and there are no brake rotor clips causing this. Certain roads/conditions make it worse than others. Sometimes, the car is nearly 100% smooth and other times, the seats shake a pretty decent amount. Enough to make a cup of water vibrate all over or make your watch shift from side to side if you are holding the steering wheel. It's not bad enough to really worry about but it's annoying for sure. My car was build Feb 2011 btw and is a 2012 Model automatic

EDIT: I should also add I have had two road force balances so it's not that

Last edited:

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 GT, bought in april 2012, replaced the kmember, aarms, rad support, bumpsteer kit, and went to strut coilovers. I only have about 100 miles on the car since then but no vibration in the steering wheel. Most of the new vibrations come from the smaller motor mounts and its really only noticable at idle. Drives smooth.

Thought id add something since all you hear on forums is when things dont work.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
My car experiences a slight vibration/shutter but not at all like in the video. Mine started after I got aftermarket wheels. I have checked and there are no brake rotor clips causing this. Certain roads/conditions make it worse than others. Sometimes, the car is nearly 100% smooth and other times, the seats shake a pretty decent amount. Enough to make a cup of water vibrate all over or make your watch shift from side to side if you are holding the steering wheel. It's not bad enough to really worry about but it's annoying for sure. My car was build Feb 2011 btw and is a 2012 Model automatic

EDIT: I should also add I have had two road force balances so it's not that

dumb question, but does it still do this when you put your stock wheels/tires back on? what is the size of your aftermarket wheels?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 2012 GT, bought in april 2012, replaced the kmember, aarms, rad support, bumpsteer kit, and went to strut coilovers. I only have about 100 miles on the car since then but no vibration in the steering wheel. Most of the new vibrations come from the smaller motor mounts and its really only noticable at idle. Drives smooth.

Thought id add something since all you hear on forums is when things dont work.

What type of bushings do you have in the front LCA?

choate

Reaction score
dumb question, but does it still do this when you put your stock wheels/tires back on? what is the size of your aftermarket wheels?

It's not a dumb question. I don't have the stock wheels anymore and it hasn't shuttered enough to take it to a dealer so I just chalk it up to the fact the rotating mass is different and the system doesn't quite like it in certain instances. The wheels are 20" but the overall diameter is equal to the stock set up

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe yall didnt see where i said my car has this problem and its a late 2012 build, therefore its not only a '11 problem.

I'm going to post this up again since a bunch of people didn't notice. This problem is NOT limited to 2011 models.

I think jewc75's only modification is dub-sized wheels. This leads me to speculate that higher-durometer control arm bushings cause this problem, as does significantly increasing the rolling stock's moment of inertia (e.g. oversized 6-pot brakes and/or higher diameter wheels than the rack was programed for, like going from 18" to 20"). Remember that moment of inertia has more to it than just the weight of the wheels/rotors. 20" rims that weigh the same as 18s would have a higher moment of inertia because the mass is concentrated farther from the hub.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Good info.

I still, usually, only have this complaint from 2011 owners.

If I were a betting man, I would place a LARGE bet that there is a reason more 2011's have this issue than other years.

As a matter of fact, a customer of mine recently traded his 2011 auto in on a 2013, simply because I told him I didnt have this issue being complained about form my 2013 Customers. He swapped the entire BMR catalog onto the 2013, no issues in 6 months now. The 2011 had an issue the minute he dropped the car down with the new A-Arms, and drove it.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
My 2011 is on 20" and it doesn't have the issue. Also lowered with BMR springs and Tokico D specs ...never has any shudder. I do have standard brakes and factory a arms and k member

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back