EPAS Terrible Shudder

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, you are getting the shudder from EPAS since you have the "older" software on yours compared to the 2013-14. I believe the 13-14 has the updated software that is used on the Boss rack...I could be wrong and YMMV.

The BOSS 302S/R rack still has different software than the '13+ cars. However, there have been far fewer reported issues of the steering shudder on '13+. Whether this is due to a software update is unknown.

The only surefire solution to preventing/fixing the problem is the $900 Ford Racing rack. This is why my front suspension has remained mostly stock.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
no call from the dealer friday afternoon, so i called back. the service advisor was busy with another customer so the receptionist dug up my work order and said the car was waiting for parts but didn't know for what. she apologized "for the delay" said to keep the service loaner "until further notice".... can't be good.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
got the call from the dealer today.

EPAS is toast.

a brand new oem rack came in this morning and it's being installed now. but although they will warranty the rack, i still have to pay for the wheel alignment??? is this normal?

at this point i'm hardly going to complain because i'm literally days away from my warranty expiring... win?

also on a side note: ford is going to refinish my brembo wheels for paint discoloration and corrosion. i didn't think i would have much hope of claiming warranty on them because of other people's experiences here but i went for broke and mentioned it at the same time i went in for the steering problem. the dealer sent pics of them to ford and they were going to warranty them for just the corrosion alone...

if deysha is reading this... thank you :bigbeer:

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
oops. i haven't updated.

it's getting warm again here. nothing is shaking anymore, thank god. i can one-hand the steering wheel again without fear of dying (being overdramatic lol).

i am however getting a small bit of steering shaft kickback on really bad roads that i did not have before, but that may be a side effect of the bushings in the steeda arms.

steering response is lighter, but i may be imagining things. it used to feel like it was dragging all the time. i did poorly in a mini auto-x i went to awhile back before things got worse because no matter how much i sawed at the wheel the wanted change in direction just was not happening. i hope to go back out there again and see if can do better this year.

side note: the extended steeda ball joints that came with the arms are not maintenance free and need to be greased regularly. i did not add any more grease into them after they were installed straight out of the box and they puked the excess on the inside of the wheels, which i hate cleaning up... argh.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If this fixed your problem, then it means that Ford "knows" about the issue and corrected the software in later builds of the rack. I'm screwed, because I have one of the earliest builds of the EPAS rack.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I have an 11 with 18 inch wheels. What are the chances ill experiwnce shudder by switching to larger wheels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have an 11 with 18 inch wheels. What are the chances ill experiwnce shudder by switching to larger wheels?

There is a slight chance that larger-diameter wheels, wider wheels, or larger brakes can cause the issue. What DOES cause the issue nearly 100% of the time is changing things on the front control arms, especially the bushings.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
There is a slight chance that larger-diameter wheels, wider wheels, or larger brakes can cause the issue. What DOES cause the issue nearly 100% of the time is changing things on the front control arms, especially the bushings.

I knew about the bushings. I guess its not a horrible thing to stick with 18's.

LMR just released some dark stainless Drifts which may look killer on my red candy car.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score

I definitely got my shudder on my 2011 with larger wheels, tires and brakes and front A arms. After changing the steering rack to the race one the shudder disappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JpMotorSport

Reaction score
I got the shudder once or twice after hitting a pretty bad expansion joint after lowering the car (springs + shocks/struts only). It has not returned since I've changed the stock rims to RTR 19x9.5's leaving our the TPMS sensors and living with the dash warning...

(knock on wood!)

I wonder if TPMS is factored into the computer control of the rack?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got the shudder once or twice after hitting a pretty bad expansion joint after lowering the car (springs + shocks/struts only). It has not returned since I've changed the stock rims to RTR 19x9.5's leaving our the TPMS sensors and living with the dash warning...

(knock on wood!)

I wonder if TPMS is factored into the computer control of the rack?

TPMS is irrelevant.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Tri-bar

Reaction score
I had a 2013 GT rack installed on my 11. No more Shake with Poly bushings and sticky tires at the track. Was cheaper that the 302r rack. At $300 used.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I had a 2013 GT rack installed on my 11. No more Shake with Poly bushings and sticky tires at the track. Was cheaper that the 302r rack. At $300 used.

Hmmmm. Wonder if this will work in a pinch. Anyine else try this? Id assume for as long as this has been happening and the knowkedge of those involved if it was a cure-all, it woula have been mentioned.

choate

Reaction score
Now that the weather is heating up I noticed mine still does this. I thought it went away and well I guess it did but when it's hot it comes back. What really sucks is if (or when) my front LCA's start making noise again is I'm almost out of warranty and it doesn't sound like you can replace the Ford creaky front arms w/ some good BMR ones b/c it will introduce possible issues. I'm just hoping I don't have to deal w/ that or in the future someone comes out w/ a fix for it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back