EPAS Terrible Shudder

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Mine noticeably shook in sport mode doing 60 but if you put it on comfort it wouldn't shake nearly as much. I'm expecting that I would have to go with the FRPP rack since my Boss was built in 2010.

claudermilk

Reaction score
claudermilk, what year is your car again?

If it is a '13 or '14.....I am very confident you won't have any issues with the shuddering.

It's a '13. That is good to hear. Like I said, I have lots of other things to look at before messing with the control arms/bushing.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a chance that warranty replaced racks have the later firmware? Mine was replaced a while back and I've always wondered this. Is there a serial number or some way to know what rack is on the car or what program it might have?

claudermilk

Reaction score
Well, it looks like this is becoming a moot argument for me. I made a stupid little mistake at the end of the day yesterday & broke the OEM rack. I'm looking into getting the Ford Racing part to replace it now. Cheaper and 100% sure the shudder won't occur with bushing upgrades. Now if I could only get though to Tasca...

claudermilk

Reaction score
One question to settle my mind. There are a number of warnings about track use only. I know that is mainly as a CYA and it seems a number of you here are using the M-3200-EPAS on street cars. Any issues with mounting this on a DD street car that does some track time? I'll need to get either this guy or the standard OEM part order up today to get things going.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I have the race rack on my 2011 GT DD and there weren't any install issues (regular shop did it for me). Shudder disappeared.

claudermilk

Reaction score
No issues with drivability on the street? I am thinking hte answer is no, but before I make the decision I'd like to hear from someone who's gone there.

Also, were you able to reuse the stock bushings & tie rods? Again, I'm thinking yes, but want to verify.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, we used the stock bushings and tie-rods with the Racing rack. For all intents and purposes, there is no outward physical difference between the stock and racing EPAS racks. It's just a difference in programming.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping you or Terry would chime in. I figured that was the case, but wanted to get verification. Time to get things going; looks like I'll be ordering from Summit as I cannot wait the week+ for Tasca to order them.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old but I have a pair of reasons for bringing this back to the top:

1: hey new 2nd or 3rd owners of 2011-14 GTs, re-analyze your plans for installing urethane bushings (with or without aftermarket control arms)!!!

2: just read the whole thread but I just want to confirm that the general consensus is still that 2011 EPAS will not tolerate the stiffer bushings, 2012 EPAS may have the updated firmware, and 13/14 likely have the updated firmware that tolerates stuffer bushings.

Is there any additional information about where the cutoff for 2012 is? Part numbers/ build dates?

Thanks

lisiecki1

Reaction score
Found this thread while looking into bushing replacement on my 2011. Very disappointed to find this information, but also happy to find out why my steering feels shitty in sport mode.

Does anyone know what part number 2013 or 2014 racks will work for cars with 19's all around?

I haven't been able to find a list of part numbers thus far and I won't be able to contact the dealer to check the numbers for the few used racks I've found.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
I've know someone with a 2013(14?) GT with ES bushings installed for his front LCAs that still has it's OEM EPAS rack and his is shaking which is causing him grief on in autox :(

CCS86

forum member
Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old but I have a pair of reasons for bringing this back to the top:

2: just read the whole thread but I just want to confirm that the general consensus is still that 2011 EPAS will not tolerate the stiffer bushings, 2012 EPAS may have the updated firmware, and 13/14 likely have the updated firmware that tolerates stuffer bushings.

Is there any additional information about where the cutoff for 2012 is? Part numbers/ build dates?

Right there with you!

My 2012 was built on 2-17-12, and I really want to replace the front CA bushings, but REALLY don't want to introduce EPAS "spaz mode" and be forced into a $1000 rack replacement.

Any information on what dates have the sorted software would be much appreciated!

Surfergeek

forum member
Reaction score
Just adding to the data ...

I picked up a set of Factory Arms and installed the Whitetline bushings along with bumpsteer kit on them for installation in my early build '13 GT. Kept my factory arms in tact in case of shudder showing up.

It's been on multiple track days, multiple sessions, and seen extensive street driving with the whiteline bushings on the A Arms.

I can confirm that I have had zero issues with the EPAS shudder.

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose I'll add to the data as well, I have a 2012 with 12 build date. Changed out to energy bushing and had no shaking. I really crossed my fingers but after further research I found that cars built after a certain date were good to go. Only now hearing cases such as above that have issues.

y5e06

Reaction score

I have a mid 2010 built '11 GT. My front bushings are shot, at 45K miles.
I ordered the ES bushings but went ahead and ordered a '13 steering rack.
On LQKOnline you can get the rack for $170-180 plus $50 shipping.

I isn't' worth it for me to put the bushings in and hope I don't get the shudder with my orignial rack after spending the time under the car and paying for an alignment. So, I'm just swapping out a 27K low mile '13 rack from a GT w/ 19" wheels. We'll see, i guess. pricing on the racks is actually pretty reasonable, and I don't have to crawl around in the mud at a salvage yard looking for one. I'm putting in springs, Koni's, and CC plates at the same time anyway.

the "does it fit" and "option" selections on LKQ seems to suggest 19 &20" wheels have the same rack while the 18" do not. I did not investigate this further.

CCS86

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose I'll add to the data as well, I have a 2012 with 12 build date. Changed out to energy bushing and had no shaking. I really crossed my fingers but after further research I found that cars built after a certain date were good to go. Only now hearing cases such as above that have issues.
What do you mean by "12 build date"? What is the full date?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This issue, naturally, isn't nearly as common as it was years ago.

I think we may get only a handful of calls about it each year now.

That said, since the inputs to this system are what makes it go crazy...and the programming of the EPAS is actually specific to wheel and tire size...I am very curious to know if adding dampers to the toe bars would lessen this effect.

Basically, the inputs travel through the toe bars into the rack - so I would love to see someone with this issue maybe put a heavy steel damper (cylindrical sleeve) over the shafts, to see if that would absorb the inputs and work.

Hmmmm.....

CCS86

forum member
Reaction score
This issue, naturally, isn't nearly as common as it was years ago.

I think we may get only a handful of calls about it each year now.

That said, since the inputs to this system are what makes it go crazy...and the programming of the EPAS is actually specific to wheel and tire size...I am very curious to know if adding dampers to the toe bars would lessen this effect.

Basically, the inputs travel through the toe bars into the rack - so I would love to see someone with this issue maybe put a heavy steel damper (cylindrical sleeve) over the shafts, to see if that would absorb the inputs and work.

Hmmmm.....

Interesting thought for sure

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back