EPAS Terrible Shudder

choate

Reaction score
Just as a follow up as it's been hot here lately. If my cell phone is laying on a tee shirt in the front passenger seat, it consistently vibrates back and forth. If you push the button on the phone to make it light up, the numbers are blurry. Heat makes it way worse. It almost 100% goes away in the fall/winter

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
i'm still okay with my warrantied rack (knock on wood)... but the temperatures have not gone past 90'f (indicated) where i am from.

choate

Reaction score
Mine still vibrates like no other (worse certain times than other when the conditions/roads are the same). It drives me crazy sometimes. If you say "ahhhhh" your voice vibrates like somebody is patting you on the back while you make the noise. I thought the boss rack was $999. Is it $500 now?

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I found mine was okay on hot days until the tires or the steering rack/fluid heated up after about 1/2 hour of highway driving then the shudder occurred.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Think the 500 is the price difference between the GT and Boss racks. Not for the Boss rack.

choate

Reaction score
Someone on the allfordmustang forum is claiming the software that causes the shutter was deleted in the 13-14 cars. Nobody seems to be able to confirm this however but that rack is $500 I believe

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a post on another forum about the shudder:

I have a 2011 5.0 2.9 whipple/E85 715 rwhp...I installed BMR front control arms /poly bushings....then it was getting' those wild speed wobbles on occassion...and on curves at high speeds weird vibrations.... especially when you hit a rough patch*! ( not normal )...I bought a used 2013 Boss 302 ( stock ) electronic Steering Rack and we just swapped out the 2011 Rack for the Boss Rack...we did not do any computer programming at all ( straight swap )...it now Runs like a Top*!!!! Wobbles & Vibrations All Gone *!

claudermilk

Reaction score
So what are the differences (if any) between a '13 Boss rack and a '13 GT rack? This thread has kept me from even thinking about touching the front LCAs.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
No idea.

I think his biggest factor was, going from an '11 rack to a '13.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Well I just put in your K-Member and a-arms on my Boss in December so once I can get the engine back in the car and test I can confirm .... Although I plan on just putting the other Boss rack in the car while it is out. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

claudermilk

Reaction score
No idea.

I think his biggest factor was, going from an '11 rack to a '13.

Well, I went back a few pages and found this post--from you ironically--that gives me hope:
I can share this, I can state for 100% confidence that I have not had a single customer complain of this Shudder with our A-Arms on the 2013/2014 cars....and I have A LOT of them out there being used right now.

I have had a substantial amount of 2011's have the issue, and a few 2012's.

Here is a 2013 GT500 with our full suspension, including the K/Arms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzgaLWxtQt8

Hope that helps!

But, I still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about messing with control arms or bushings. I have plenty of other parts higher on my list to keep me occupied for a while before looking at this anyway.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
claudermilk, what year is your car again?

If it is a '13 or '14.....I am very confident you won't have any issues with the shuddering.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
i have a warranty replacement rack in my 2011 for the epas shudder. the new rack does not give me any issues... i wonder if i should risk this.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The difference in the early/late/FRPP racks--from what I've gathered--is firmware. But FoMoCo refuses to create or release a tool that would allow you to reprogram the early racks to have the later version of the embedded software.

This is why I haven't touched my front control arms or bushings. I don't want to shell out $1,000 for a new steering rack on top of the other stuff. :mad2:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Mine already has a "nibble" stutter, so I'm sure any mods to the front LCA will set mine off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back