EPAS Terrible Shudder

01bluesnake

Reaction score
Just as a note in case someone didnt notice with their '12. when my '12 has advance track turned off, it automatically locks the steering in sport mode, so there may be something to that effect on the '11 without really announcing it from Ford.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
If you are reading this, and have experienced this issue, please post up.
I've got a 2012 Brembo GT and have NEVER experienced this. I move between the various steering modes all the time, and as someone said, my '12 has a HUGE difference in steering feel when in Sport Mode or with AdvanceTrac off.

I would assume the issue described is a bug in the 2011 EPAS software. And I would also assume that Ford had identified and resolved the issue for '12 cars and possibly even some of the later '11s.

I'm just surprised to hear that Terry and Amy Fair own Vorshlag. Does anyone here know them personally? If so, tell them an old member of TAMSCC says what up. I think they'll recognize this car.

Danny

stanggoldwheels.jpg

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've got a 2012 Brembo GT and have NEVER experienced this. I move between the various steering modes all the time, and as someone said, my '12 has a HUGE difference in steering feel when in Sport Mode or with AdvanceTrac off.

I would assume the issue described is a bug in the 2011 EPAS software. And I would also assume that Ford had identified and resolved the issue for '12 cars and possibly even some of the later '11s.

I'm just surprised to hear that Terry and Amy Fair own Vorshlag. Does anyone here know them personally? If so, tell them an old member of TAMSCC says what up. I think they'll recognize this car.

Danny

trailer-L.jpg

Danny! Hey man, yea... Vorshlag is me and Amy, since 2002, located right here in Plano, TX. You gotta come stop by the shop some time. (Address) Is that the old SVO-swapped Fox Mustang we sold you way back when??? Looking good!

IMG3171-M.jpg

There are several issues with the 2011-2013 electronic steering racks. It is the Achilles heel of these cars, in my humble opinion, especially once you have touched the suspension and/or put race tires on them. We have seen "AdvanceTrac Fault" issues in the past 6 months also, which seem to be tied hand-in-hand with the EPAS shudder issues. Like Sam Strano before us, I too am getting sick and tired of the electronic gremlins on our 2011. :(

I have spoken to several Ford engineers about it, sent them videos, to no avail. I don't know anyone high up at Ford, unfortunately, so we've been trying to figure it out on our own + with the help of some GRAND AM teams running 2011+ cars. Talked at length with the guy at Ford Racing that reprograms the M-3200-EPAS racks and he's pretty sure that will fix all of our problems.

So far the Ford dealers we've talked to / taken the car to are doing nothing, but from the calls/PMs/e-mails I've received from other owners seeing the same thing, I'd say its becoming a chronic problem on a significant number of cars. Just my observation - that's nothing even remotely official. We tried to use a that 2010 GT500 TSB notice (earlier in this thread) to get new EPAS firmware flashed to our steering rack but the Ford dealer we used borked it all up and it only made matters worse (see pic above). They re-flashed it back to stock and its been the same old problem for a while.

You can watch this video below (better than my first video) and see the shudder I'm talking about...

Demonstration of the steering shudder in our car just driving down the road

That was 6000 miles ago. Its just as bad now as it was then, just now my patience has worn thin. You can also see it at the end of the in-car video from a track event 3 days ago, below. It does it all the time and has for about a year now, and we've kind of gotten used to it in autocrosses and on the street, but its REALLY bad on R compound tires and worse at track events.

In the video below, after 3 hot laps on track the steering rack went into a violent shudder, put the engine into some limp home mode, and I had to shut the car off and restart it just to get it to run right. After it gets like this we have to just come in the pits, let the engine cool off and reset everything. Its ridiculous.

In-car video of Terry in the Mustang at ECR June 23, 2012, for three hot laps, 2nd session of the day. Best lap of 1:58.2. Click for 720P video

I talk to the guys at Ford and they say "its not supposed to do that with the AdvanceTrac turned off!", but.... of course, it does. It will do the shudder no matter which setting we have the traction control system in, any tire, any condition, as long as its above 45 mph. Of course, we always race the car with all of the sport mode/traction control system nonsense TURNED OFF. Every other mode has the electronic nannies applying brakes or cutting power, slowing you down, and should never EVER be used in any sort of competition setting. Yes, even in the wet. Unless you are a total NOOB that has zero car control. In that case, leave all that BS on! :) I can't even stand driving on the street with the traction control in any sort of "on" mode.

I've been told by the folks at Ford Racing that the only real fix is to get the M-3200-EPAS steering rack, to the tune of $1200 (have found it for as low as $999). This is an otherwise stock 2011+ steering rack reflashed to turn all of the "auto nibble" and other electronic BS off. All of the OEM units are based off the same basic steering rack, just with tiny little tweaks to the programming. The M-3200 has all of that removed. It just becomes a power steering rack after that, not a "smart steering rack". This is what is used on all of the 2011+ World Challenge and GRAND AM cars...

1086031918_XQy8r-M.jpg

The M-3200 and the stock replacement 2011+ steering racks have both been on back-order for months. We've been trying to get a new rack since January. Supposedly they are finally getting the QC issues worked out at the Mexican plant that makes the racks, and they are coming off back-order status June 29th (in 2 days). I already have one on pre-order...

You can read more about our trials and tribulations with the dreaded electronic steering rack and AdvanceTrac faults in our 2 year build thread, located on 4 different forums. It is by no means the end-all-be-all build thread, just our observations from autocrossing and tracking our 2011 GT since August 2010 and testing various suspension parts, wheels/tires, and other bits on it.

edit: we finally got this M-3200-EPAS steering rack in August 2012 and it fixed ALL of our steering shudder issues!

Cheers,

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, if I bought a new Mustang and it started doing that id take it back to the dealer and leave it and tell them to fix it or give me my money back.

Yes, that IS the best course of action. Problem is, from what we've seen, it usually only does this shudder issue badly after you've made some suspension mods. So then you're going into the dealer with suspension mods and potentially in for a fight for this or any future warranty work.

The 2011+ rack still shouldn't ever do this nonsense - there is a known hardware problem that tricks the EPAS software into going into into what appears to be a feedback loop - but it affects cars with lots of added camber and/or lowered and/or other suspension mods far more than it does bone stock 2011+ Mustangs. So its just... a tricky situation.

We de-modded my car significantly a year ago to have the dealer look at it, but the techs "couldn't replicate the issue", even though its as simple as driving it on the highway and turning the wheel. That's what I get for thinking a dealership could fix this.

So yes, if your car is bone stock and it happens - make the dealership replace the rack under warranty. Its a mechanical problem within the rack. If you are racing your car with significant mods like we are, and then it does it, don't expect much to happen from Ford. Just be ready to suck it up and buy a new M-3200-EPAS rack (which will have the "smart rack" auto-nibble features removed) and you will be trouble free. Part of the price of admission to race these cars, I guess.

Just my $.02. I am no expert, but I play one on the internet.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So in other words, Terry...people should buy a 2005-2010 GT with a blown engine....and do a Coyote swap. :)

applesauce683

forum member
Reaction score
Any updates with the M-3200-EPAS? Looks like it might finally be available (saw some on ebay). This stupid steering shudder makes it extremely unnerving to drive spiritedly on public roads.

My08Stang

One Bad Poster
Reaction score
Sub'ing My 2011 5.0 steering is all over the place.. I'm sure my boys at JPC will get this thing all figured out.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am receiving more and more calls about this shuddering.

It is very disappointing.

applesauce683

forum member
Reaction score
I am receiving more and more calls about this shuddering.

It is very disappointing.

Yeah, it definitely has something to do with stiffer durometer A-arm bushings in my opinion. That is when my shudder started, after installing the A-Arms and K-member. Not trying to knock your product, it is definitely a Ford problem.

Do you think you might try swapping in the new rack and seeing if that solves it? If someone does it and it fixes it, I would do it to. But I don't want to be a guinea pig and try it first!

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely has something to do with stiffer durometer A-arm bushings in my opinion. That is when my shudder started, after installing the A-Arms and K-member. Not trying to knock your product, it is definitely a Ford problem.

Do you think you might try swapping in the new rack and seeing if that solves it? If someone does it and it fixes it, I would do it to. But I don't want to be a guinea pig and try it first!

Have you tried putting the factory arms back on?

I agree, mostly, about the bushings. It has also been greatly noticed by people who swap just the bushings out.

Keep in mind, probably 75% (or more) of the customers that I get complaints from, have stock Arms.

The bottom line is, it is unfortunate because Mustang owners have and always will modify their suspension.....and this is causing many to not be able to, to a certain extent.

applesauce683

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried putting the factory arms back on?

I agree, mostly, about the bushings. It has also been greatly noticed by people who swap just the bushings out.

Keep in mind, probably 75% (or more) of the customers that I get complaints from, have stock Arms.

The bottom line is, it is unfortunate because Mustang owners have and always will modify their suspension.....and this is causing many to not be able to, to a certain extent.

I haven't tried putting the stock arms back in. Don't feel like messing with it any more. I love the handling now, it is just the medium to high speed cornering shudder that sucks major balls.

My08Stang

One Bad Poster
Reaction score
Highway driving sucks around 80 MPH, steering wheel has it own plans, but the BMR set up I do have works great on the track... I also notice on a newly paved road the car rides better...

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Highway driving sucks around 80 MPH, steering wheel has it own plans, but the BMR set up I do have works great on the track... I also notice on a newly paved road the car rides better...

Can you describe exactly what your EPAS shudder feels like? I'm getting a random vibration around 75-80 MPH and I can't figure out of it's my wheels being out of balance or something else.

My08Stang

One Bad Poster
Reaction score
Can you describe exactly what your EPAS shudder feels like? I'm getting a random vibration around 75-80 MPH and I can't figure out of it's my wheels being out of balance or something else.

I have Hoosier 17 x7.5 on the front, and the steering shakes on bends in the road, uneven pavement, or around 80. If I hold the wheel with both hands it minimizes the shaking.. I'm not getting a great deal of pulling motion of the car to either side.. just the steering wheel is more of a pain in the ass.. if street tires are on the car the ride is much better..

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Hoosier 17 x7.5 on the front, and the steering shakes on bends in the road, uneven pavement, or around 80. If I hold the wheel with both hands it minimizes the shaking.. I'm not getting a great deal of pulling motion of the car to either side.. just the steering wheel is more of a pain in the ass.. if street tires are on the car the ride is much better..

Hmm, I have stock 255s on. The front control arms and bushings are stock, though I have Koni adjustable dampers, Steeda springs, and MM caster/camber plates.

My shaking is felt more through the floor board, specifically right at the throttle pedal. The steering wheel vibrates a very small amount if I hold it loosely with one hand.

db4z

Reaction score
I have a 2012 non brembo car and replaced the stock 18's with 19in forgestars and continental extreme contact dw tires about 3 weeks ago and immediately noticed this shudder at highway speeds if I let go of the wheel.

I figured it was a minor out of balance wheel but now I'm tinking it's related to the change of sidewall stiffness and damping of the new tires, which are much softer as they are more of a comfort tire. While I can live with the vaguer steering response I think this change in tire stiffness could be throwing the epas for a loop as its likely programmed to dampen the wheel angle (not steering) vibrations specific to each wheel and tire setup. Ideally the system should have some sort of feedback control and autocorrect itself but by using tailored programing developed upfront for each wheel/tire combo I'm sure was cheaper than adding extra sensors and a more adaptive learning system. So depending on your setup the system may or may not be able correctly control the vibration of the road wheels.

But that's just my opinion. My manager use to be an engineer at ford but left around 2004, well before epas. Has anyone noticed a correlation between different tires alone and steering wheel vibrations?

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
I have a 2012 non brembo car and replaced the stock 18's with 19in forgestars and continental extreme contact dw tires about 3 weeks ago and immediately noticed this shudder at highway speeds if I let go of the wheel.

I figured it was a minor out of balance wheel but now I'm tinking it's related to the change of sidewall stiffness and damping of the new tires, which are much softer as they are more of a comfort tire. While I can live with the vaguer steering response I think this change in tire stiffness could be throwing the epas for a loop as its likely programmed to dampen the wheel angle (not steering) vibrations specific to each wheel and tire setup. Ideally the system should have some sort of feedback control and autocorrect itself but by using tailored programing developed upfront for each wheel/tire combo I'm sure was cheaper than adding extra sensors and a more adaptive learning system. So depending on your setup the system may or may not be able correctly control the vibration of the road wheels.

But that's just my opinion. My manager use to be an engineer at ford but left around 2004, well before epas. Has anyone noticed a correlation between different tires alone and steering wheel vibrations?

I wouldn't get ahead of myself. Changing wheels and tires always includes the risk of adding vibration, EPAS or not. Check the balance of the tires and also check to see if the brake rotor retaining clips have been removed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back