EPAS Terrible Shudder

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a correlation between different tires alone and steering wheel vibrations?

Yes, my customers have different symptoms dependent upon which set they use, and they are balanced properly.

The 4-5 different Ford part #'s are based on wheel/tire size-combo from the factory.....so it surely has something to do with it.

EG: the EPAS rack on a Mustang with 18" wheels has a different part number than a Mustang with 19" wheels.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, my customers have different symptoms dependent upon which set they use, and they are balanced properly.

The 4-5 different Ford part #'s are based on wheel/tire size-combo from the factory.....so it surely has something to do with it.

EG: the EPAS rack on a Mustang with 18" wheels has a different part number than a Mustang with 19" wheels.

Now that is interesting... Did they experience problems when switching to a different size wheel mostly?

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
i recently went to 18s from 17s on our 2013 and have noticed nothing out of the ordinary with the steering.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The M-3200-EPAS rack is finally back in stock. This is merely a stock 2011-up rack reprogrammed by Ford Racing to turn off all of the loopy programming.

DSC8409-M.jpg

This single swap will fix any and all steering shudder caused poor electronics programming and/or major suspension mods.

Works perfectly on the street, autocross or track. Took one of the largest (and only) complaints I had with this chassis and completely removed the issue. I was 100% satisfied.

Last edited:

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
The M-3200-EPAS rack is finally back in stock. This is merely a stock 2011-up rack reprogrammed by Ford Racing to turn off all of the loopy programming.

DSC8409-M.jpg

This single swap will fix any and all steering shudder caused poor electronics programming and/or major suspension mods.

Back in stock where and for how much. Thankfully, I think I'm ok for now, but I have more suspension mods planned and want to have this info if I need it.

Thanks!

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Back in stock where and for how much. Thankfully, I think I'm ok for now, but I have more suspension mods planned and want to have this info if I need it.

Thanks!
Any FRPP dealer can get it, and I think retail price is $1299 and street price is closer to $999. Do a search on that part number and you can see. :)

Most dealers won't stock it - it will likely ship right from Ford Racing, as I believe them program/build them to order? Got ours 3 days after it came off backorder, just in the nick of time!

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So, Terry, are you aware of the possibility of the stock racks being reprogrammed with the same FRPP-M3200-EPA program?

I have a guy (customer) working on a very cheap solution, but it would be more along the lines of "rigging".

My08Stang

One Bad Poster
Reaction score
So, Terry, are you aware of the possibility of the stock racks being reprogrammed with the same FRPP-M3200-EPA program?

I have a guy (customer) working on a very cheap solution, but it would be more along the lines of "rigging".

Does it involve using duct tape?.. LOL... Would be nice to fix my issue... My car was shaking all over the track last night..

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score

Keep us informed. I'd love to get rid of active nibble control and all the other garbage.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score

While trying to find a solution to the issue for Terry I've spoken to the actual Ford engineer that does this and they refuse to reprogram used racks and will only sell the programming with a new rack. I don't know if it's because the ECU cannot be re-flashed once it's been programmed, or other issues. But I doubt it's strictly because of commerce. They were very sympathetic every time I called and tried to find other workarounds.

If someone has an inexpensive aftermarket solution I'd like to hear about it.

01bluesnake

Reaction score
Glad they found a fix for their error, too bad we have to pay for a good rack to be installed. Inexpensive/cheaper fix, Claim Insurance from road debris punching a hole in the current rack and get a new one for cost of deductible lol. The only time i really notice it is when i turn off advance trac or steering gets set to firm, guess ill deal with it for now.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I just bought a 2013 GT (in addition to our 2011) and we're going to be doing the same sort of suspension mods that threw the '11 out of whack, and then some.

DSC4856-M.jpg

From what I can tell it has the exact same rack, so it might suffer the same problems with the stock programming. I will post up with results (does it shudder?) after a few months...

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
My 2011 steering wheel shudders exactly like in the video when I hit 65+ and also pulls to the right. I noticed it does not do it when Advancetrac is on. I have been banging my head going through checking alignment, balance, etc. My car has the stock brembo rims and has been lowered with steeda ultralite springs and has -1.0* of camber

Last edited:

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
Did a little test today on the way home from work just for SAG. Put my car in sport mode and got up to 65 and higher on the highway. The wheel started shuddering going straight and more so in the turns and sometimes going away and coming back in the middle of a sweeping turn. While I was going straight and the wheel was obviously shuddering, I hit the Advancetrac button to turn it back on and the shuddering went away immediately. Didn't do it for the rest of the trip home. I know the general manager of a local Ford dealership and told him of my issue and he is doing some research for me.

JpMotorSport

Reaction score
This is why I love the Mustang - always a way to find the solutions for YOUR car.

my 2011 build date: jun 2010 experienced it (once or twice while STOCK, however lowered started coming back) - only happens with sport mode on...

Was thinking of bringing it in but the suspension would probably get me. Nice to find a part/solution that would simply solve the problem if it ever got out of hand.

EDIT: local ford dealer has it for $885 :) :)

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What suspension mods do those of you who have this problem have?

I've got springs, shocks, and caster/camber plates and I don't have this problem. However, my wheels, while aftermarket, are the same diameter as stock.

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
I have Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str T's, GT500 upper strut mounts, Eibach cam bolts, & BMR adjustable panhard bar for me.

Back