Finally splurged a little...

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
I finally went and bought an intake yesterday, the AEM Brute Force CAI. I saw it on an '07 GT at a show this weekend, and decided that it was the one I wanted. And with my past experiences with AEM on imports I have had, I decided it would be a good kit to go with. I will be borrowing my buddies SCT XCal 2 to tune it with on a conservative 89 or 91 octane tune.

21-8112.jpg

When it gets here, I will be posting dyno numbers from before and after the install, as well as before and after reflash numbers to quell the theories of how much power an intake/reflash really nets us on these Modular 3 valvers.

So stay tuned for pics, an install how-to DIY, and dyno numbers.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does your buddies car have the same computer/stratergy code as yours? If not, his Xcal will not work on your car. If it all matches up and it does work, may want to be careful unless the tunes are for the same size intake as the one you bought. Your new intake is the same size as stock which is why it does not require a tune and the majority of people with tuners have a bigger CAI and the tunes are made for more airflow. It will be interesting to see how it goes...

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Interesting info there my friend... some things I didn't know, that's for sure.

Thanks. :)

While I have you here, what are the perks/power gains to be seen with larger than OEM MAF openings with the proper tuning?

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
You have to have the same calibration code as your friend's car, however that doesn't matter at all if your friend used it to tune his own car- if he did, then it won't work on yours at all unless he returns his car to stock and plans to keep it that way. That's the feature on handheld tuners, so that one person can't buy one unit yet tune 100 cars with it.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting info there my friend... some things I didn't know, that's for sure.

Thanks. :)

While I have you here, what are the perks/power gains to be seen with larger than OEM MAF openings with the proper tuning?

20-30 hp gains vs um, about none noticable with the one you bought. O.K., maybe 10-12 with the one you bought, but that's probably being generous.

And thanks Tom, "calibration" is the word I was looking for but couldn't spit it out. :shock:

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Well the AEM pipe that houses the MAF is a seperate piece from the pipe that comes out of the throttle body. So I could always fab something up that will fit with a bigger MAF opening.

How exactly does the SIZE of the MAF opening affect output?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought that once used an Xcal was locked to that car and that car only. you need to send it to SCT to unlock for use on a different vehicle. maybe an SCT vendor can chime in

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
And thanks Tom, "calibration" is the word I was looking for but couldn't spit it out. :shock:

Gotcha covered...strategy would work too. :beer::thumb:

How exactly does the SIZE of the MAF opening affect output?

Knowing how to interpret the MAF reading is critical to the computer, and changing the opening size without proper adjustment to the tune would not be a good idea.

I thought that once used an Xcal was locked to that car and that car only. you need to send it to SCT to unlock for use on a different vehicle. maybe an SCT vendor can chime in

In my experience, not really locked to that vehicle if the stock tune is reloaded from the tuner back into the car (thus returning the car to stock). But, unless you do this, the tuner won't work on a different car. You can not tune two cars at once using the same tuner.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back