Fluid leak help

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Have developed a small leak under the tranny. Fluid appears to track down a wiring harness on the right side of the trans and dissapears from sight (presummably to the top of the trans). 05 GT only has only 27k miles but I open track/HPDE abt 10 times a year so car gets driven hard but no fast or hard shifting. Although the leak is small, I do not like the idea of any fluid dripping on the track. The search I did mentioned a catch can but that appears to be for an automatic. Could the hard cornering we do cause this? Anyone else run into this problem?

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Have developed a small leak under the tranny. Fluid appears to track down a wiring harness on the right side of the trans and dissapears from sight (presummably to the top of the trans). 05 GT only has only 27k miles but I open track/HPDE abt 10 times a year so car gets driven hard but no fast or hard shifting. Although the leak is small, I do not like the idea of any fluid dripping on the track. The search I did mentioned a catch can but that appears to be for an automatic. Could the hard cornering we do cause this? Anyone else run into this problem?

Is it leaking from the towards front or the back?

It sounds like an output shaft seal could be leaking or a tailshaft bushing that has gone bad, causing the output shaft seal to leak.

I would recommend trying to pinpoint the location of the leak and come back with a general location. There
Here is a good picture of the driver's side of a TR-3650:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/151164-t45-transmission-2004-mustang-gt.html

If you notice, it comes in several pieces, but I have rarely ever head of the housings themselves leaking.

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Leak

Fluid is definitely creeping down the wire harness which runs up to the top of the tranny. This is towards the front of the tranny. I checked the engine compartment to see if any fluid could be working it's way from there but nothing. Any idea what the wire harness connects to on top of tranny?

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Fluid

Appears to be trans (thin / reddish). Also though it could be brake fluid that got away from me went I flushed the system but I could find no evidence of it. I have cleaned the bottom side again to try to trace the source. As stated earlier - from what is visible from the underside the only thing that makes sense is a leak from the top of the trans that runs down the wire harness but I can't figure out how to verify without dropping the tranny.

Reaction score
common sense (even though it technically doesn't exist) says to start looking at the highest point. Brake clean the shit out of it, then concentrate on the top when you see something develop.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it's your vent tube on your trans. the fluid is getting hot and expanding or your vent tube is pinched or obstructed in a way that is allowing the trans to get pressure in it.

Just went through this on a gt500 box.

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Vent Tube.

Thanks Steve-
Could it be as easy as a trans fluid transfusion with a premium synthetic fluid?
If it is a vent tube problem, Is this a home mechanic fix or will it require a lift? Traveling this week and can't access my shop manual (hopefully it's in there). Sorry for the 20 questions but if I need to get to a shop I'll have to make an apointment now as I have a track day the day after this trip is over.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
it's your vent tube on your trans. the fluid is getting hot and expanding or your vent tube is pinched or obstructed in a way that is allowing the trans to get pressure in it.

Just went through this on a gt500 box.

was under the car today and noticed a significant amount of trans fluid on the back half of the trans appears to be coming from some where towards the top of the trans and running down. did a search and this kinda seams to fit im guessing ill probably have to drop the trans to confirm this ?

thanks in advance

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you can acess the vent tube without dropping the trans. what we do is remove the cap at the top of the vent tube and put some vacume hose 4ft or so with a clamp over the end. spoolit up and fasten it to the firewall. Happens all the time with the road race car and short of a cooler it's about the only fix.

Back