Follower ate up. what would cause this??

minivanracer

forum member
Reaction score
One of the intake followers is ate up on my number two cylinder. I can see some pitting on the roller. What would cause . Any ideas. Was idling and car started to run like shit. Was making a real bad clanking noise. At first I thought I spun a rod bearing. But was coming from the passenger side valve cover. Pulled the cover and found an intake follower roller ate up. Any ideas, it is a fresh engine, could a piece of metal shaving got in there.??

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
What does the bearing in the follower feal like? Is it rough when you spin it?

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Usually I see the bearing on the follower fail causing this. Check double check head oil pressure at the driver side head by the exhaust port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Usually I see the bearing on the follower fail causing this. Check double check head oil pressure at the driver side head by the exhaust port.

More info please. Where do you do this check at?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Remove the cam and they will fall out literaly lol

What year car?

There was an issue with lash adjusters that can cause this as well.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
More info please. Where do you do this check at?

The oil check?

On the passenger side by exhaust port on number one cylinder. There you will fin a small plug. Just remove that plug and install the gauge there. Just remember that the head runs on half the pressure the engine does. So don't be surprised if you see pressure at hot idle as low as 13 psi.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The oil check?

On the passenger side by exhaust port on number one cylinder. There you will fin a small plug. Just remove that plug and install the gauge there. Just remember that the head runs on half the pressure the engine does. So don't be surprised if you see pressure at hot idle as low as 13 psi.

Good to know. Thanks!

svtadam27

forum member
Reaction score
As long as the cam isnt damaged (excessive scoring/grooving ect) some people just replace the lash adjuster (may be clogged and not oiling properly) and the follower. One of my firends had this happen to his 09 and I had to replace the cam, lifter and follower, he's been good for about a year now.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I had a lash adjuster seize up and trash my follower and cam. I replaced all 24 lash adjusters and followers to be on the safe side. Was $400 for parts, I did all the labor myself. My cam was replaced under warranty from Comp.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
Read this:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=165&viewfile=Camshaft - RH.pdf

If it's one of the three followers that are supposed to be removed prior to taking out the camshaft, then no (brilliant, yes?). Otherwise yes. You will need a valve spring compressor tool and timing chain wedge for this.

I had a follower go out and needed to replace a cam (messed up a cam lobe). Not too difficult with the right tools. I would recommend replacing the entire passenger side head with all new lash adjusters and cam followers (Ford also recommends this in their related TSB's).

I bought lash adjusters from CJponyparts and followers from here. Note the lash adjusters from CJponyparts I got are the original part number and not the newer one - they may risk giving you more headaches in the future.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back