FRPP intake manifold...is this normal?

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
yeah exactly im just wondering if anyone else's does the same thing..cuz this intake is supposed to handle like 40psi of boost and if its moving this far in and out on a N/A car then holy hell i can't imagine on a boosted car

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it has a heartbeat that means it is a GM product, problem answered!

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Is sucken in by vacuum and then when pressure raises it goes back to its normal shape.

Weird.

opposite really its normal shape is before and when pressure raises it bulges out i watched it for like 4 min under complete amazement seems that the plastic needs to be thicker in that area..

lito

forum member
Reaction score
opposite really its normal shape is before and when pressure raises it bulges out i watched it for like 4 min under complete amazement seems that the plastic needs to be thicker in that area..

No, when you are at idle is under vacuum, once you accelerate MAP pressure raises getting equal to BP and it comes back to its usual shape. There is no positive pressure (about BP) under any condition on a NA car.

Want to test? have it at idle watching and tell someone to turn it off without touching the throttle, it will do the same thing.

Either way is pretty suspicious and looks bad.

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
im not trying to argue at all here im just telling you what i observe and yes i did test that...

the intake manifold runners are in the same position at idle and when the car is off...only when the car gets close to BP does it bulge out...as you saw when i revved it...nothing is getting sucked in its just bulging out once it gets closer to BP...i know because i can look at it before the car is turned on and when its turned on sitting in idle the runners don't move...

when it bulges my fuel rails become slanted because of the bulging so that is definitely not its original position

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
oh i love the intake with the looks and the power it gave me!! this is just not supposed to be happening...i got the bad one and ill send it back and get a new one and hopefully it wont do it again...that is i hope

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
lol...i don't think its going to grenade on me i have put that intake through its paces in the last 2 days and its holding up fine i just don't know if that area where it bulges is going to fatigue and crack or explode ya know

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow that is weird. The only time I ever saw something similar was on a boosted application with a sheet metal manifold, the plenum was expanding when the car got into boost.

So I and everyone else is sure 1) that is not normal and 2) perhaps a bad casting or something.

The only other thing I would check is to make sure all of the manifold bolts are torqued to spec. Thats all I can think of. Otherwise you won the lottery and your prize was the 1 in a million manifolds that is F'd up.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
im not trying to argue at all here im just telling you what i observe and yes i did test that...

the intake manifold runners are in the same position at idle and when the car is off...only when the car gets close to BP does it bulge out...as you saw when i revved it...nothing is getting sucked in its just bulging out once it gets closer to BP...i know because i can look at it before the car is turned on and when its turned on sitting in idle the runners don't move...

when it bulges my fuel rails become slanted because of the bulging so that is definitely not its original position

Not to argue, just trying to find an explanation of what is going on, seen similar things in sheet metal intakes, crushing at vacuum and blowing at boost. But in a NA there is no positive pressure if you reference it to BP so I can 't find an explanation on what is going on unless it is getting crushed with vac and returning as external/internal pressure equalizes.

That is all.

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
my thing is the bolts that go into the block for the intake are hte only ones that need to be touched...well the other bolts on the top and side that come on it have wear on the edges and i haven't touched them...look

DSC02374.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back