Fuel Fill Issue. Sorry to bring this up again

Terry

Reaction score
Thanks guys, some interesting comments and innovative approaches. Yeah I had problems understanding the audio in the German video but as Red GT said, you get the idea. I'm not sure I understand why he did that though. I mean I know he was experiencing the slow refueling issue, but how does tapping the fuel tank to Evap vent solenoid line and plugging it into the top of the filler neck, achieve this? It seems like he has an evap system problem (eg the vent solenoid valve is closed with key off when it is a normally open valve) and has simply bypassed it. So long as the hose to the top of the filler neck doesn't vent to atmosphere with the fuel cap on then he wont get any codes thrown for gross leak errors like you do when you leave the gas cap off. So his problem seems to be the system is not venting properly rather than the design of the fuel filler neck.

I took some info from another forum which I cant find again and so I cant properly credit the guy who wrote the following stuff (suffice to say it wasn't me). He had taken a poll on a number of forums regarding the fuel fill issue by asking members if they had experienced the premature fuel nozzle shut-off while attempting to fill their tanks (usually shutting off after ½ tank). He got the following results:

224 Total Responses:
20% (44) responded that they ALWAYS encounter the fuel fill issue.
51% (115) responded that they have encountered the issue, but not all the time.
29% (65) responded that they have NEVER encountered the fuel fill issue.

In summary he stated:

It appears that for issue to surface, (1) vehicle’s EVAP emissions system has a slight obstruction (either due to dirt or kinked evap hoses), AND/OR (2) fuel inlet hose is improperly angled and slightly too long (causing a slight upward rise in hose immediately before attaching to tank), AND/OR (3) fuel fill rate is too fast and/or filling station tank pressure too high. So, if you’ve never encountered this issue, feel fortunate all the “saddle-tank filling stars” are all aligned in your favor. However, keep in mind over time, your EVAP emission system will begin to become dirty, and that may be just enough to tip the scales to the ½” fill syndrome down the road.

So for some it seems the fuel tank filling issue doesn't pose a problem or not one that isn't easily fixed by holding the fuel nozzle on an angle. For the rest of us it's an infuriating design fault with limited options for repair.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
the issue is the evap system, it's a line that goes to rectangle box that gets clogged with evaporated gas from folks overfilling after the pump had clicked off, that turns into the gas and gets strapped in the little black block.
You need to drop the evap system yank it around and blow it out.
solved my issue. no early click off 3 years now.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I wish that trick would work for me. It doesn't matter if I have the nozzle the right way up, sideways, or upside down (reminds me of The Rock's jelly donut joke). At some filling stations I just have to trickle the fuel in and hope the pump doesn't keep shutting off.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I never fill the car full so unlikely
I find the problem springs up when it's colder but it's pretty random
the issue is the evap system, it's a line that goes to rectangle box that gets clogged with evaporated gas from folks overfilling after the pump had clicked off, that turns into the gas and gets strapped in the little black block.
You need to drop the evap system yank it around and blow it out.
solved my issue. no early click off 3 years now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
^^^Was that intended for the “opossum” discussion in another thread? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ixtlan

Reaction score
That little box mentioned a few posts back is a filter to protect the valve.
May as well check the vent valve while your there that it still works. (Open with power off)
Take it out and blow it out good.
My 05 had all kinds of crap in it and even though it seemed to flow good it didn't.
Once I blew the crap out I haven't had the issue since. (2006 and still goin good)

Terry

Reaction score
Well thanks for the responses guys. Perhaps you can tell from my earlier posts that I was narrowing my problem down to a bad fuel filler neck. In fact, I might have mentioned in my original post that another forum had identifed a new filler neck for the 08/09 which incorprated a fuel tank to fuel cap vent pipe. Perhaps an indication that Ford recognized the issue and did something about it. I was considering purcahsing one of the filler necks, however, I have since found out that the new filler neck is a 10 mod and is 'capless'. So, I'm not going to mess around with all the modifications probably necessary to make that work and not throw emmissions evap codes.

So I had cleaned my evap system, checked it on advise from others on this thread, checked it again. Yes that little black filter box was checked also. No blockages anywhere. In fact all very clean. My next focus was on vapour locking in the filler pipe associated with 'foaming' during refuel. As the tank fills, this foam builds up in the filler pipe until it reaches the refuel nozzle. Upon entering a small hole at the bottom of the fuel nozzle, suction in that pipe is immediately blocked which triggers a shutoff valve in the nozzle. All simple stuff!! So from what I have observed I can certainly say due to the presence of foam (its actually bubbles of fuel vapour) in the filler neck, refuelling will be difficult.

I had been told that these bubbles in the fuel were to stop blow backs of liquid fuel. But after some other discussions and research, I have determined that is not the case. It seems more likely the 'foam' is a result of the pumps bringing the fuel up underground tanks. If you imagine a boat travelling slowly there is a small disturbance of water but when the engine power is increased the water gets very foamy.

This led me to think that not all gas stations are equal and some will have tanks that are different depths and others will have more powerful pumps. All of these factors would determine how much foaming occurs during refuel and therefore how often the nozzle will shut off. So I decided to go to another fuel station and bingo. Refuel no problem. So the fix is to simply go to another gas station where fuel foaming is less prevalent.

This proves there is a design flaw in the fuel filler neck (that was probably fixed from 10 onwards with the redesigned filler neck) but it is easily overcome if the gas station pumps are lower powered and creating less foam.

To recap, it could be the evap systems causing the problem if the evap ssytem is faulty in any way. Once you have thoroughly checked and repaired the evap system, you can try a different gas station with less pump pressure and so less foaming during refuel. Angling the fuel nozzle may help in cases where the pump is creating a little bit of foam but not too much and where turning the nozzle upside down places the shutoff sensor to the top of the nozzle and out of reach of occasional foaming.

Thanks for your help guys.

Terry

Last edited:

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Ford TSB was to replace the filler neck with 09.
Some say it fixed it, some say it did not.
It's almost 2019 and there is no real clear fix loll

Reaction score
Happens to mine about half the time during summer, since I know which pumps to avoid locally. However, it seems that winter is also a factor because pumps that worked flawlessly before now give me problems too. Its a real pain, especially when I take the mustang on trips and have to use a gas station on route.

EliminatorDK

Reaction score
Hi.
Rerouting the filling neck pipe, and bypass the tank-vent just before the Evap-canister works for me.

The two problems Ford has made is a fuel-trap in the filling line, and no backvent before the evap-canister.

……. There is no magic, just do it like all other cars. :) :) ( earlier modern mustangs, and later do it right.)

Don`t know what Ford was thinking about, when they designed the fuel filling system on the 05-09 mustangs. ? …….. it`s against all rules of nature. ❗

Filling issue must be bigger in EU , because we pump with 13 GPM here , and only 10 GPM in US.

The clear hose with the ball valve will be opened for each pump…… Later this year this line will be routed to a nozzle close to the fuel filling hole. ( in top )

07A89C8A-66BE-403C-9A62-CD8176631814.jpeg

D05B6381-9EB3-466F-8447-E804659829F6.jpeg

DD719193-E43B-41C2-89FE-64674F7C67F7.jpeg

9A6B8A03-3508-48B3-819D-7C938EBBDB3A.jpeg

D21FB167-7E06-42B0-8CDC-6A064CBEFDCD.jpeg

Last edited:

ZwookY

Reaction score
Holding the nozzle 180 degrees from normal (upside down) works for me.
That's what I do. Get some weird stares every once in a while though! Vehicle never did this when new, took a few years. Would love to see a fix.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Mine has only done it a few times and only on 3 specific gas pumps [emoji618]️
185k miles of hard driving, that’s a lot of premium fill ups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back