Fuel's Winter Project: Build It Before It Blows

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Going to the track tomorrow night. Will see how the springs swap and Hoosiers play out on the time slips.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I made three passes and just put the car back on the trailer. DA was in the low 3000s. Best pass was a 12.0 @ 125mph. Not happy with the results at all. First to runs I launched without the 2 step at about 3500rpm and it bogged bad out of the hole. Sixty foots were in the 2.0-2.1 range. Last pass I turned the 2 step on and launched at 4000rpm, leaving at around 4lbs of boost I think. That run it completely blew the tires off in first and spun in second. Have 18lbs of air in the tires but couldn't get a good burnout all night. Never did get any smoke coming off the tires during the burnouts. I don't have a linelock and the car was pushing through the burnout. A friend said I wasn't getting enough wheel speed during the burnout but didn't know if I could do a second gear burnout without the linelock. Previous trip to the same track in April netted a 11.2 @ 135 mph on street tires. Not happy to say the least.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I feel ya, I have had plently of those track days and it seems always something isn't going right, its just numbers, I have fun blasting down the track regardless!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Josh, a second gear burnout will be easier than first. I used to do second gear burnouts all the time with my Bullitt and I've never had a line lock.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
2nd gear burnouts are easy. I can do them na with drag radials. Even when I only had 337rwhp.

You could go try it on a country road. You should have plenty of them, lol. IIRC Marion is one of the highest points between the Mississippi and Missouri rivers (Humboldt SD about 20 miles north holds the distinction but all of the land in that area is well over 1000' above sea level) so the da is only going to be good when it's cold.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Yeah, it was around 75* out and he humidity was HIGH. There was lightning in the sky everywhere south of the track. It got late and was tired of sitting in the staging lanes for almost a half an hour between runs so I called it a night. I got frustrated early so I didn't feel like spending a lot of time trying different things. Everyone I talked to that night said their times were about a full second slow too so I figured no use in beating on it anymore.

From the tracks website their elevation is 1430'

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Josh, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do a 2nd gear burn out either. Once you do it the first time you'll be fine. I just like to roll the tires over directly in the water (quick pop of clutch), roll slightly out of the water, shift 2nd rev to about 4-5k, pop clutch and straight to brake, then I try to get the tires spinning around 45-50 mph till smoke pours, then roll out of it.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
My very mild bolt on car can do second gear burnouts after rolling through the water. You'll have no issues. My car went from inconsistent 1.9-2.1 to consistent 1.7 60's. I too was apprehensive but didn't think i'd have the power to keep them turning.

A buddy of mine wiht a similar power level to yours was ripping 1.5-1.4's on the hoosiers.

Good luck on the next outting!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Actually the tires will tell you when they are hot enough as they will begin to grip and push you out of your burnout. At that point release the gas and push in the clutch and roll out of it.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
considering selling my entire turbo kit with slim fan setup, oil filter relocation kit, and sway bar delete/radiator support. Would include the upper radiator hose I am running now and the smaller coolant tank I have also.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I have something else in mind:idea:. I have wanted it for awhile and think that I could swing the extra money over the winter. Not venturing too far though.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back