Gasoline vs E85 in the 2011 5.0

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between the fuel system in the 2011 5.0 vs the fuel system in the new flex fuel F150 w/ the 5.0 in it, or any of the Ford vehicals that E85 can be run in. Im not so worried about the injectors, Im looking more for info along the lines of difference in actual fuel lines, O-rings, fuel pump differences, things that would corrode or get eaten up from the ethanol in the E85 over time... if any? When you just do a search online everyone (which isnt very credible I wouldnt think) seems to just say that the fuel systems in new cars CAN handle the ethanol simply because of the ethanol in gasoline. I would think that there is more then the reason of the ECU not being calibrated for it.. but what else if anything would make a difference?

RSKtakR

Reaction score
From what I've read and been told it all comes down to the tuning and that's it.

thats what I thought as well.. but is there ANY difference between the rest of the fuel system (any o-rings, fuel lines etc) that is on the F-150 etc? I could goto the Ford service dept but I bet they wont be able to tell me either lol

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
They would probably look at you like your retarded for asking.
Call JJ at WMS he answered my questions and I will be getting a tune from him very shortly

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I thought the 5.0 used in the trucks was a lot different than the ones in our Mustangs.

its not the same 5.0... im more curious about the fuel system that is used on that motor. IF its in fact ANY different then the fuel lines, filter, pump, o-rings then what is on the 5.0 mustang.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
I really, reeeally doubt there is any benefit on an NA setup.
All else being the same you make less power on E85, its real benefits come from having a higher detonation threshold which although theres probably some benefit to more agressie tuning with ~100 ocatne race fuel, E85 is effectively a bit higher than that, so I doubt it will help unless running nitrous or boost.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
All else being the same you make less power on E85, its real benefits come from having a higher detonation threshold which although theres probably some benefit to more agressie tuning with ~100 ocatne race fuel, E85 is effectively a bit higher than that, so I doubt it will help unless running nitrous or boost.

i have seen 453whp and 421.5tq w/ LT's, clutch, 4.10 gears, cai and the e85 tune on an all stock fuel system.. not on my car. before the E85 the car layed down 422whp

Last edited:

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
the only guy to call or ask on E85 is Andy @ Dynotune usa... He lives a few blocks from Ethanol plants.. He also does the TUNE for major companies as well..

Please give him a call or shoot him an email, as he is the only one I trust to do a proper tune..

http://www.dynotuneusa.com/

World's Fastest Ethanol Powered Street Car
7.64 @ 187 mph
Sept 5 2010
Street Driven, Drag Radials, Korn Powered!
2010 MCSO Real Street Unlimited Winner
Video
billwheelie1.jpg

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
Check out last year's DynoMax Power to the Wheels Results in the March 2008 issue of Car Craft Magazine!!!
Bill winning the 5.0 mustang E85 shoot-out @ Gateway Int'l in St Louis w/ a 8.98 @ 158 mph- 4000+lb 1995 Mustang Cobra Convertible STREET CAR
DSCF0044.jpg

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
i have seen 453whp and 421.5tq w/ LT's, clutch, 4.10 gears, cai and the e85 tune on an all stock fuel system.. not on my car. before the E85 the car layed down 422whp

Its hard to say how conclusive that is though, it may not have been aggressively tuned on petrol.

Its just speculation, but Im just not seeing it with the mild stock compression.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

There might be a benefit with an NA setup if it is high compression. And remember, the new 5.0 is 11:1 compression.

PBstallis

forum member
Reaction score
the stock 5.0 has high enough compression and the vct to take advantage of this

erod550

Reaction score

The advantage of E85 is that with its higher detonation threshold you can run much more aggressive timing without knock and therefore make more power. This applies whether N/A or boosted. I'm interested to see the long term effects of some of the people who are running E85 already.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
The advantage of E85 is that with its higher detonation threshold you can run much more aggressive timing without knock and therefore make more power. This applies whether N/A or boosted. I'm interested to see the long term effects of some of the people who are running E85 already.

Yah... thats what I just said.

There is a point where advancing timing no longer increases power, with a mild CR like 11:1 that can often be achieved on pump gas.

Its a big leap from 93 to 120

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yah... thats what I just said.

There is a point where advancing timing no longer increases power, with a mild CR like 11:1 that can often be achieved on pump gas.

Its a big leap from 93 to 120

Since when is 11:1 compression considered "mild"? Most production engines have compression ratios below 10.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score

This. been there, done that, more timing made nothing, so no need for anything but quality pump gas.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back