Ghost cams

JrS197

Reaction score
So i just got my 2014 3.7 and ive been looking around for mods. I came across a video of a guy with "ghost cams" on his car and it sounds badass. I did some research but i cant find the cams but i find some people saying it is a tune to make it sound like that. So my question is, is it really just the tune with stock cams or am i just not finding the ghost cams for sale anywhere?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sigh... Its in the tune. Be sure to add cobra badges while your at it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ignore the sarcasm. Some people don't like the idea of the tune for this. It's "fake" they say. It's your car. Your choice. Yes it is all in the tune. No hard parts required.

46addict

Reaction score
In all seriousness, if the Ti-VCT systems allow tuners to actually change the valve lift and timing (among other factors?) in the tune, isn't this effectively the same as swapping cams? I assume there's a point of diminishing returns where physically changing cams will yield benefits in scenarios where a ghost cam tune does not, but without inducing a vacuum leak or something, I don't understand how a tune can create lope. In other words, if the electronics are adjusting lift and timing for a lopey idle, there has to be performance gains somewhere.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
You can change the overlap at idle which creates the cam sound because intake and exhaust are separate cams and controlled by independent cam phasers. The phasing changes at tip-in and the cams phase to proper operating conditions. If you have ever test driven a car with the stupid "ghost cam" tune functioning, you will notice that there is a short delay after coming to a stop and the idle settling before the rough cam sound begins occurring. It goes away almost as soon as you apply throttle. It's a gimmick and nothing more.

I test drove a car that was being sold here locally by a well known racer. It was built nicely but had the Lund Ghost cam tune on it. I hated it. Told the guy that one thing would have to go was that stupid ghost cam idle if I was to do business with him on the car. Needless to say we did not come to an agreement.

Curb feelers and shorty antennas have more functionality than a ghost cam idle.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
You can change the overlap at idle which creates the cam sound because intake and exhaust are separate cams and controlled by independent cam phasers.

And this is done through adjusting cam timing based on phaser position?
The fact that it's an "idle only" tune is a bummer.

07 Boss

Reaction score

It is, and why people want to have a shitty rough idle is beyond me. Having large overlap and rough idle is a by product of running long duration cams, it is a necessary evil to gain the performance/power. So now you have a rough idle with without any performance gains. Makes sense, don't it?

07 Boss

Reaction score
So i just got my 2014 3.7 and ive been looking around for mods. I came across a video of a guy with "ghost cams" on his car and it sounds badass. I did some research but i cant find the cams but i find some people saying it is a tune to make it sound like that. So my question is, is it really just the tune with stock cams or am i just not finding the ghost cams for sale anywhere?

And besides, you have a SOHC motor. You couldn't even do it if you wanted to.

My bad, completely inaccurate on my part.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score

Yip. all for the sound...at that point. The freedom of separate cams for intake and exhaust also allow the engineers to do away with the EGR valve which can now minimize emissions via cam overlap that come from higher cylinder temps and leaner AFR operating levels within reason. As well some overlap can be added to help with cold start as well as being added at higher RPM if desired, as I understand Greg Banish's book "Engine Management Advanced Tuning" I have been reading. GREAT BOOK BTW!

Conventional cams sound like they do for a reason. Simply, the exhaust and intake are on the same shaft. While 3V takes the first step in SOHC VCT any cam with any major change in design for performance improvement is going to have that big cam sound, not just from the lift and duration but from the fixed overlap that is unavoidable in serious performance cams.

Every tuner I have asked about this "ghost cam" has assured me it is a gimmick only for the purpose of sounding old school with no other benefit. Banish in his book I reference explains the benefits of where SOME overlap being added through VCT in Coyote and other DOHC applications can benefit, however idle is only mentioned with respect to taking the EGR valve out of the equation and for nothing else. It is not audible at all.

Remember not all DOHC engines have VCT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back