GR40SS or Peice meal?

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
I guess quite a few of you have seen my thread in chit chat, but I wanted some corner carver's specific inputs. Those that happen to be in the know, What would be a more cost effective solution? The Griggs Racing GR40SS kit, or peice mealing several different brands of suspension together.

Car will be primarily a dd but I want to be able to turn with the best of them. Going to try to get into alot of HPDE and drifting.

smitty328

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. Looking a SS or ST. It's a lot of money, is Griggs really that good?

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. Looking a SS or ST. It's a lot of money, is Griggs really that good?

YES, but it depends what are you looking for? If your looking for a street / strip car to casually drive around than there are other options. But if you want a car that can lap with real sports car with the right tires than GR40 SS and don't look back.

Also how you set up a car for a HPDE and for drifting is two completely different things. Its important that you match everything together and don't just throw things on your car.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Right^ Which is why I am asking so many damn questions. What exactly would I be looking at as far as kit is concerned that is not compatible between HPDE and drifting? I imagine from you previous messages that a torque arm would not be the way to go for drifting...

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Right^ Which is why I am asking so many damn questions. What exactly would I be looking at as far as kit is concerned that is not compatible between HPDE and drifting? I imagine from you previous messages that a torque arm would not be the way to go for drifting...

Depends on how much drifting you want to do, true drift cars are built to have extra steering lock and to be easy to slide in the rear. GR40 cars are setup to grip in the rear.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Yes I definately plan on getting some cut knuckles. But I'm trying to discern the technical differences so I may make an informed decision on which direction to take my build. Also from my conversations with some of the racers at this past event, You also want grip in the rear so as to be able to control the amount of slide with throttle modulation and steering angle... Too slick and you just spin.

Last edited:

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
in my opinion it's way way overpriced but buy what you want. To this day I've never seen one come out and dominate at our events in nasa great lakes.

The few guys I've seen that have it really don't give us other guys to much problems with racing with them. and most of us are on stock k-members.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I definately plan on getting some cut knuckles. But I'm trying to discern the technical differences so I may make an informed decision on which direction to take my build. Also from my conversations with some of the racers at this past event, You also want grip in the rear so as to be able to control the amount of slide with throttle modulation and steering angle... Too slick and you just spin.

The torque arm plants the axle so well in our project car that its pretty difficult even at 348 rwhp to get the car to slide. In road racing the discipline required for your suspension is almost the opposite of what you want in drifting.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, that Ultimate Street kit is sweet. I have half a mind to forget doing anything to my suspension and just save up my money for that.

But then again, it would take me a long freaking time to save up $10,000 plus installation costs. :omfg:

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
+1

Not to mention, way overkill.

So you want to try a HPDE course, why do you need to change anything just yet? Invest in your skillz. This isn't drag racing, you cannot buy your way to the top.

+2, if anything Koni Yellows, springs and a set of Strano Sways. You will have plenty of "mods" for your car and get a ton out of it. Plus not over paying for Griggs.

Call Sam, www.stranoparts.com

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Wow, that Ultimate Street kit is sweet. I have half a mind to forget doing anything to my suspension and just save up my money for that.

But then again, it would take me a long freaking time to save up $10,000 plus installation costs. :omfg:

I'm talking about the SS kit, which is just coil overs, and then torqure arm, LCAs and panhard in the rear. $3600.

And as far as improving my skillz, I'm at the point where I am having a hard time extracting more out of the car because of the extreme lack of traction that comes with just 2" lowering springs, LCAs and not much else. I also what something that I can grow into. But as pretty as the griggs kit is, I'm enjoying hearing that that the cheaper options would be the way to go. Not I just need to talk to Sam ans see if he recomends adding yellows to my set up or going full coil over....

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Ground Control's coilover setup is something to think about...it's essentially the SS kit (minus the torque arm) at less than half the price. I've been very happy with mine.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the SS kit, which is just coil overs, and then torqure arm, LCAs and panhard in the rear. $3600.

And as far as improving my skillz, I'm at the point where I am having a hard time extracting more out of the car because of the extreme lack of traction that comes with just 2" lowering springs, LCAs and not much else. I also what something that I can grow into. But as pretty as the griggs kit is, I'm enjoying hearing that that the cheaper options would be the way to go. Not I just need to talk to Sam ans see if he recomends adding yellows to my set up or going full coil over....

Your problem might be the lowering springs. A 2" drop does not leave much suspension travel and screws up the suspension geometry. Methinks your car would handle better with the stock springs.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Agreed. Which is why I am looking into the coil overs. I love the stance I have right now. I'm tucking the top 1/4" of my tire(275/40R20) and its sexy as hell. The coil overs would allow me to adjust my ride hieght while keeping the suspesion travel...

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Dreadknought - what tires are you running?

Having the right tires will really help you get the power down. I switched from BFG KDW2s to Nitto NT01s for track days and found that really helped me get on the power earlier and harder. If I could afford them a set of Hoosier R6s would be even better :)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Which is why I am looking into the coil overs. I love the stance I have right now. I'm tucking the top 1/4" of my tire(275/40R20) and its sexy as hell. The coil overs would allow me to adjust my ride hieght while keeping the suspesion travel...

Do you want your car to handle well or be hellaflush? You can have both, but you need to account for the change in steering and suspension geometry created by lowering a vehicle that much.

Reducing your ride height by 2" still gives you 2 fewer inches of suspension travel, regardless of whether or not you're using springs or coilovers. And you still have the issue of compromised steering geometry. The only thing coilovers are going to do for you is give you adjustable height and (depending on the model) adjustable shock bound and rebound.

Have you installed Steeda's control arm relocation kit, bumpsteer kit, and X5 balljoints? If not, that's what I'd do first, because those kits will help correct your compromised steering geomoetry.

Read these articles for more info.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Well, I am looking more for steering feel than for ultimate grip I guess. And good manners as well. I need to do something about the front geometry as well I guess. What opinions do the fine people here have towards the Baer eradispeed +2 kit?

I simply wont be able to go to events nearly as often as I would like. After these upgrades I'm expecting my racing budget to be rather feeble. Unfortunately the only reference I have as far as good handleing feel would be a Pontiac Solstice. It wasn't that fast but damn if it wasn't really engaging to drive!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back