Hard to shift into 4th gear?

vogs77

Reaction score
My 2011 GT is hard to get into 4th gear from 3rd on the up shift, sometimes it goes right in, sometime it will not at all and just grinds. It does go into 4th gear most of the time when I down shift it from 5th but not always. It has a barton bracket with the stock shifter. Does this sound more like a shifter issue or a trans issue. I am going to order an MGW short throw, I have read they help with lots of shifting issues. The clutch and line have already been replaced. If I do need to remove the trans for a rebuild will it come out with the long tube headers in place, they are PYPES brand?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It sounds like the 3rd to 4th gear syncho is badly worn. If the other gear shifts (up and down) are smooth, I doubt that replacing the shifter will fix it but it's a good upgrade anyway.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You should have pulled the trans and replaced the clutch at the first sign of shifting difficulties. Now you need a clutch AND a trans refresh.

vogs77

Reaction score
I just purchased the car knowing about the 4th gear issue. I did do a little research about this trans before the purchase and was just looking for a little first hand info on this forum. I just ordered an MGW so I will try it when it comes in but if that doesnt help I will pull the trans and send it to Calimer transmissions for a refresh, I have read good reviews of their repairs.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
How many miles on the tranny? Is this car a DD, weekend track fun, 100% racer?

What did PO say about the gear issue (history)?

vogs77

Reaction score
Trany is original with 48k on it, car is not a daily driver just driven on nice days as a cruiser/tire burner. Previous owner said it had the issue as long as he owned it, 5 years but very few miles.

Eighty that repair is a bit out of my budget but thanks for info.

Rugermack

Reaction score
Tranny shouldn't need a refresh at 48k, of course original owner could have damaged it by being stupid

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Best guess is the 4th gear synchro is damaged. The longer you let it go the more parts will be needed to repair it. Grinding does damage every time. Bite the bullet and have it repaired or better yet install a T56 Magnum XL.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem and bought that exact kit. The T56 Magnum works well, just don't get the silly dual disc McLOUD clutch. That thing to SO LOUD in 3rd and 4th it makes your teeth rattle and your intestines shake. Unless you have LOTS of horsepower, it is simply not needed.

I know, people will argue with me, just sharing my experience....

Paul Mickelson

Reaction score
Ben Calimer does a good job on these mt82 trans. With the road runner in my Boss lockout was terrible above 7,000rpm’s. I went with a clutch that solved the problem. Or a new mt82 from 19 and up has better ratios than the magnum. Just saying.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back