Hard wired/installed non portable generator

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Silly questionj but how can I buy a Generac and contact the install myself?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Local electricians sell Generac, and so does Home Depot and Lowe's I think.
You'll need a permit most likely for the electrical and propane or natural gas hookups

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The quotes seem normal to IMO. We don't know the details (placement, blah blah blah).

2nd no one in the electrical company is going to sell him a Generac for $4,800 when that's what they are paying for it unless they bought a semi load of them. They will tac on O&P of 20-35% depend on the sales volume. Generac sets the bar as far as what the units are sold for. You can watch your power company's website for sales on them. I&M (AEP) had sale two years ago for like 4260 with transfer switch. Lowes and home depot make there deals looks good until you really look at there numbers.

3rd if you want to buy it your self with all the goods you need you can. I will look the website up that we use and post it. You just need to make certain you know exactly what you need or any money you had planned on saving you will not. Lol seems to always be the case at my house. As far as pulling the permits any licensed electrician setting it will want to pull their own permits for liability reasons as well as you will want them to pull their own permits put them on the hook for any fuck up that might have. Other than standing over there shoulder to make sure there doing a great job it pretty simple. Thats my 2 cent for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks; I was told 2 day install and the major work is the panel work, I have 2 panels and will probably go with 2 transfer switches vice trying to jump/tie in all the circuits. I have a 1000 gal propane tank in buried in the yard and my propane line is within 5 ft of where the generator would be located.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine direct and hired local electrician no permits needed.

Good luck and maybe get a couple more quotes.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check with Home Depot for the install and see what they charge. They work through local people for the install but you still get the good HD price for the Generac. You will need to get the gas work done by your propane supplier and you need to check on the electrical, some counties require a permit, inspection and some don't.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl, one of the quotes was from the local company HD uses as the Generac supplier/installer and out of the 2 quotes received so far they were the most by a grand :(

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I called HD and they set me up with the company they use; I did talk to one of the companies that install them and said I can buy my own and contract someone to install,the savings is around a grand depending on shipping; the downfall is I am responsible for all warranty paperwork and ordering parts, etc if there are repairs to be made while under warranty....

flipper

Reaction score
The two panel, two transfer switch thing can be a challenge. I'd be interested to see what an electrical contractor says about that. Be clear on how that is installed, electrical codes, etc...

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
had one installed last spring. Awesome to have. We can run all the burners, dryer and ac with lights on. Of course thats a good load but I wanted to make sure she could handle it. We also have a hot tub on the porch.

Looks like our cost with install was 5700

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
had one installed last spring. Awesome to have. We can run all the burners, dryer and ac with lights on. Of course thats a good load but I wanted to make sure she could handle it. We also have a hot tub on the porch.

Looks like our cost with install was 5700
What brand, whole house and how many panels?

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
20KW Generac, Transfer switch and 1 panel. They provided plastic pad for the generator and ran the piping. I had the gas company at the house same day as the fellas that installed the generator. Its set up to test run once a week and looks like ill be changing oil in it this fall.

What brand, whole house and how many panels?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg, you can set the system to only need one transfer switch. When I did the new generator I just added a second panel, instead of trying to rewire everything. Both panels are powered from the single transfer switch, the original panel is just wired into the new panel. This would save you the cost of a second transfer switch.

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
Got it through climatec. I was really surprised by there pricing as I was looking to go with a 16 but for an extra 500 bucks i could get the 20. They also installed a gas furnace. Reason being i didn't know heat pumps ran shitty in the winter so we had them install that the same day. I asked about there pricing and the owner said they bought a truck worth of generators and they were able to pass on the savings. Either way I know we did well.

Thats a good deal! Who did you get it through?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back