Head gasket thickness? Effect on comp. ratio?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Can any of you motorheads tell me the compressed thickness of a stock head gasket? Fel-Pro? I know the Cometic is .030 but I think that is thinner than stock. How much is the compression ratio affected by say a .015 difference in head gasket thickness?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Please tell me the volume of the combustion chamber, usually in cc's and I can give you an exact answer. In the mean time I will calculate a first order approximation.

Mike

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Combustion chamber Volume 48.1-51.1 cc (2.94-3.12 cu in)

Attachments

• SPECIFICATIONS[1].pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 21

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Assumptions: Stock gasket is 0.030" and stock CR is 9.8:1

Dropping the gasket thickness by 0.015" will bump your CR to ~10.2:1 (10.19 is what I got)--this excludes the combustion chamber volume. However I just saw that was posted so I will go re-run the numbers for you.

No math is shown, but I can sure show it if ya wanna see it! :clap:

Mike

Last edited:

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is the best answer I can give you:

Assumptions: Original gasket thickness is 0.030", stock compression ratio is 9.8:1, and combustion chamber volume is 50cc.

Dropping the gasket thickness by 0.015" will bump the CR to 10.16:1

Thanks Ron for the combustion chamber data!

Also, if you need me to start with a different thickness head gasket just let me know what it is, and then how much to reduce it by, and I can give you those numbers as well.

I found this on the web as well: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html

I don't know the values for some of the things they list in the calculator.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
don't forget that changing the deck height/gasket thickness will affect cam timing on mod motors. usually it retards the cams and puts slack in the chain.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
I am running a stroker motor with CNC machined heads. I cannot tell you what the head cc is but it is supposidly 9.8-1 (stock) compression ratio with stock gaskets. I am sure you are correct that the stockers are .030 thick and I am thinking of running some SCE ICS Titan copper gaskets which are .043" thick. So what would be the affect on C.R. and cam timing by adding .013 thickness to the gaskets?
BTW, you guys rock!

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am running a stroker motor with CNC machined heads. I cannot tell you what the head cc is but it is supposidly 9.8-1 (stock) compression ratio with stock gaskets. I am sure you are correct that the stockers are .030 thick and I am thinking of running some SCE ICS Titan copper gaskets which are .043" thick. So what would be the affect on C.R. and cam timing by adding .013 thickness to the gaskets?
BTW, you guys rock!

I can't say what the change in timing will be, but using the same numbers I did to get the 10.16:1 ratio, if you start with a gasket that is 0.030" thick and add 0.013", your compression ratio will drop from 9.8:1 to 9.44:1.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back