Help - Noise after CAM install

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
I installed Detroit Rocker cams this week and the install went well. When I test drove the car I noticed the sound that a strong wind makes as it blows over your house. Kind of like a howling wind. The sound is isolated to the driver’s side (not sure it matters but I also replaced the valve covers). The sound got louder as the rpm’s increased. I removed the valve cover tonight and check all the cam followers. All are in place and there are no scratches on the cams. I then removed the caps and inspected each one. There were slight groves in a couple of the caps noticeable when I ran my fingernail over the surface. I can't say if these were there with the stock cams. I don’t notice any marks on the cams themselves.

I re-torqued the caps and the sound is still there. You can hear the sound in the attached video. It is a higher frequency sound then the engine idle. It’s short because I didn’t want to run the engine very long. Also, the smoke is from oil that soaked through a towel onto the exhaust manifold.

I am at a complete loss of that could be causing this sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Sounds a little like the timing chain to me, but it's a bit hard to tell from the video.

How did you install the cams? Using the holding tool or taking the entire front cover off?

Also, I'm assuming you used a new cam bolt and all that, right? Did you torque the cam bolt using the Ford tool (or a rounded 3/8" extension?)

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds a little like the timing chain to me, but it's a bit hard to tell from the video.

How did you install the cams? Using the holding tool or taking the entire front cover off?

Also, I'm assuming you used a new cam bolt and all that, right? Did you torque the cam bolt using the Ford tool (or a rounded 3/8" extension?)

I used the timing wedge and had my son hold the sprocket and chain while I replaced the cam. He help the sprocket with upward pressure so i wouldn't slip a tooth. I have no codes and the car runs great, except the noise is very loud when you are driving.

New cam bolt was installed per instructions. Bolt was torqued to the specified value and then rotated 90 degrees. Not sure what the Ford tool is. I used a 3/8 ratchet for the last 90 degrees.

The noise is loud. Also, the caps appear to be completely flush.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I just did a cam swap that went wrong and I had to pull the front cover off. Is your vacuum line that goes from the manifold over and down to your evap system hooked up? What about your brake booster hose that runs on vacuum? is it seated good? I would check all vac lines for sure.

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
sorry for the short video. The sound is louder from the 7-10 sec range. Listen for the sound of gale force winds.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just listened to it again. It sounds like a vacuum line that isn't seated good and allowing just enough air to escape to make a whisling noise.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
I don't even know what your hearing, sounds like a normal video shot with a crappy cell phone video camera.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you have spent any time at all over top of these engines guessing what sound that is, you could hear it. I have spent over a year of weekends trying to figure out crap like this with my car.
If you don't find a vacuum leak. Get a very long screw driver with a big handle end. Put one end on your valve cover and the other end to your ear. Start moving it around and listening untill you find the source.

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
I just listened to it again. It sounds like a vacuum line that isn't seated good and allowing just enough air to escape to make a whisling noise.

I checked the EVAP and PCV tubes and both appear to be seated. Would either of these being off cause me to throw a code (I didn't). When I lean into the engine it does sound like it is coming from the value cover, but with the higher frequency is really could be anywhere.

Is there an easy way to check for vac besides making sure the hose is properly seated? Just in case the problem is with the connector on the hose. Is one hose more likely then the other?

Thanks!

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
If its sucking air, a quick way to check would be to get some starting fluid and start spraying around evap, pcv and brake booster and listen for the engine to surge. I say check with a screw driver or any blunt object first and if that doesn't show up anything then I would for sure check all vac lines.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you check the hose that goes to your brake booster? Some times those don't seat good and will make a hissing or whisling sound.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
did you put RTV sealant on the one little spot where the front cover and heads meet?

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

***not my pics, got them from a write up somewhere else

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
If its sucking air, a quick way to check would be to get some starting fluid and start spraying around evap, pcv and brake booster and listen for the engine to surge. I say check with a screw driver or any blunt object first and if that doesn't show up anything then I would for sure check all vac lines.

Just tried (several times) spraying starter fluid around evap, pvc, and booster. no change in idle. I tried the screw driver. The sounds in both valve cover are the same - no air sounds. I sprayed starting fluid along the vac line running to the fuel rail.

After running the car for 15 minutes I started to hear a "rattle" sound around spark plug #5. Not injectors (that have a rhythm) this was a rattle. I could hear it with the screw driver on the valve cover by cylinder #5, but really can't tell where it is coming from. I assume the rattling sound can propagate somewhat.

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
Did you check the hose that goes to your brake booster? Some times those don't seat good and will make a hissing or whisling sound.

Yes, checked and sprayed with starting fluid. Didn't disconnect that hose, but I checked anyways. I also checked the two vac lines going to a valve by the wheel well. I removed this valve when I remove the valve cover.

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
did you put RTV sealant on the one little spot where the front cover and heads meet?

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

***not my pics, got them from a write up somewhere else

Yes. I checked for oil leak and there is none. I removed the valve cover today to check the cams and caps and re-installed the cover. No change in sound.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm. I am out of ideas bro. I gave you my best guesses. Good luck and maybe someone that has experienced this problem will chime in. I am sure your not the only one.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
:shirlock:This is just a shot in the dark. Could it be maybe your having a bearing in a idler pulley trying to lock up or a alternator going out? Lets see, your power steering pump is on the driver side. 2 idler pulleys is on the driver side. If it was a cam phaser they make a ticking or pecking sound. I wonder if a vct solenoid was failing would it make a sound? Looks like that would give you a code though so....

Last edited:

Huck

forum member
Reaction score
This is just a shot in the dark. Could it be maybe your having a bearing in a idler pulley trying to lock up or a alternator going out?

car only has 15K miles. The timing of these failures with the cam swap would be a real bitch. I should be able to isolate a bearing sound - more grind then whirring like wind. I checked my data log from today and the voltage is steady. If the alternator was dying then wouldn't i see voltage fluctuation?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back