Hood Venting

Big Stig

forum member
Reaction score
The Saleen S281 aluminum hood with the heat extractor vents was the best one IMHO. It looks like the 2013 Mustang took a cue from that.

Good luck finding one now though. I wish I had pulled the trigger when I had the chance for my Bullitt (kind of like the guy who found Saddam in the rabbit hole).

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The SC sitting on top of the engine also adds to the underhood temps. :)

And so does the oem exhaust manifold and oem cats at base of eng bay.
Replaced with JBA titanium ceramic coated LT's and catted H midsection. Underhood temps dropped > 40 F. Oem cats will easily hit 1800-1900 F at wot. The ceramic coated LT's are coated inside and out. I can easily push down hard on any of the 8 x primary's within 2 mins of shutting eng off. (and that's right after running the blower at wot in 2nd gear, 2 blocks from home).

New jba cats are located below driver + pass seats. b4 the exhaust swap, my steeda strut brace ( black) would burn ur fingers. Now it's luke warm. Just another way to deal with heat..don't generate as much in the eng bay to begin with.

Another method is to run the eng fan on high speed. On 10-12 cars the oem upper grille is borderline useless. Replaced with a 7 bar grille. Heat extraction on the hood works good. Works even better when used with the above ideas.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
If you want maximum venting which will give you better lap times, reduce front end lift, and reduce hood movement go with the Tiger Racing or for a lot less money and as effective the Track Spec vent.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
For the supercharged cars, there's always the big vent...

B61G8084_logo_1920-M.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want maximum venting which will give you better lap times, reduce front end lift, and reduce hood movement go with the Tiger Racing or for a lot less money and as effective the Track Spec vent.

Where can you purchase that from?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Trufiber A61 hood.

DSCN1007%20Large_zpsjoycmm3f.jpg

Almost zero heat extraction there. My buddy just spent weeks in the wind tunnel testing stuff like this. These type of hood had a very small level of extraction compared to the ones with vents between the back of the rad and the front of the motor.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Almost zero heat extraction there. My buddy just spent weeks in the wind tunnel testing stuff like this. These type of hood had a very small level of extraction compared to the ones with vents between the back of the rad and the front of the motor.

It is also a cowl style on the backside.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
So if anything, some of the air coming out the two "vents" will be the same air that went in at the cowl if that's being opened up into the engine compartment as well. Over and over again. How that could ever help the radiator is a mystery to me.

The low pressure area necessary to pull air out is where DoB posted . . . where the airflow is trying to separate from the hood because the hood is effectively dropping out from under it too quickly for it to follow, it creates a low pressure area (consider it a partial vacuum if that helps).

Norm

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So if anything, some of the air coming out the two "vents" will be the same air that went in at the cowl if that's being opened up into the engine compartment as well. Over and over again. How that could ever help the radiator is a mystery to me.

The low pressure area necessary to pull air out is where DoB posted . . . where the airflow is trying to separate from the hood because the hood is effectively dropping out from under it too quickly for it to follow, it creates a low pressure area (consider it a partial vacuum if that helps).

Norm

I have zero instrumentation to back the following observation. My impression of the A61 versus the stock hood is that it does a better job at controlling under hood heat than a stock hood. That is based on many popping open the hood when it was stock and after the new hood went on.

Not saying this is the best hood for heat extraction, but it is an option you can purchase that is out there and looks good also.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I have zero instrumentation to back the following observation. My impression of the A61 versus the stock hood is that it does a better job at controlling under hood heat than a stock hood. That is based on many popping open the hood when it was stock and after the new hood went on.

Not saying this is the best hood for heat extraction, but it is an option you can purchase that is out there and looks good also.

You are probably getting more/cooler air under the hood. A small amount compared to a "real" heat extractor hood though. I see underhood temps (actually measured) while moving about 10-15deg above ambient. Which is really, really cool.

The problem with a cowl style hod (at least one with an opening at the back) is that more air is added to an engine compartment that already has "too much air" under the hood stock. It destroys aerodynamics and isn't very effective at extracting heat (compared to how good it can be).

Stock hoods make the aero a little sketchy at 130mph. You can feel the lift.

Cowl hoods (my buddy has the Steeda) are REALLY sketchy at 130mph. There is so much lift it feels like it's a parachute.

I good extractor hood makes 130mph feel like 80mph with the other hoods.

I'm not busting on your hood. It's fine for what you're doing (I doubt you're at 100+mph very much, not many people are). And if you like how it looks and it makes you happy every time you see it that's most of what counts.

As usual I'm nit picking and attempting to inject as much real data as I can. There are a lot of "internet truths" out there that are just plain wrong. I do my best to correct that.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No harm, no foul. Texas mile and road course guys definitely have different needs than occasional give her the boot guys.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Saleen hood, not sure how effective it is though.

The vents are on the sides but it's channeled from the center right between the radiator and tb body.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
You are probably getting more/cooler air under the hood. A small amount compared to a "real" heat extractor hood though. I see underhood temps (actually measured) while moving about 10-15deg above ambient. Which is really, really cool.

The problem with a cowl style hod (at least one with an opening at the back) is that more air is added to an engine compartment that already has "too much air" under the hood stock. It destroys aerodynamics and isn't very effective at extracting heat (compared to how good it can be).

Stock hoods make the aero a little sketchy at 130mph. You can feel the lift.

Cowl hoods (my buddy has the Steeda) are REALLY sketchy at 130mph. There is so much lift it feels like it's a parachute.

I good extractor hood makes 130mph feel like 80mph with the other hoods.

I'm not busting on your hood. It's fine for what you're doing (I doubt you're at 100+mph very much, not many people are). And if you like how it looks and it makes you happy every time you see it that's most of what counts.

As usual I'm nit picking and attempting to inject as much real data as I can. There are a lot of "internet truths" out there that are just plain wrong. I do my best to correct that.

Would blocking off the opening at the back of the Steeda hood help? I have the street version with only a small (maybe 1 1/2" x 10") opening at the back.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back