Hot Rod Cams - Best Price?

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
Have seen them for $824 on the auction site we all love - anyone know of a better deal? Anyone have a set laying around they'd like to sell? Really just doing it for the old school idle - so far stock power has been fine for me.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you just want the lopey idle take a couple of the ground wires from a couple of your coil packs and run them threw a switch. Then you can pull up to a stop light and flip the switch and have that lopey idle. It'll only cost you like $20-$30 instead of a grand. That way you can keep the stock power curve and have that badass misfiring sputtering idle your looking for.

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
If you just want the lopey idle take a couple of the ground wires from a couple of your coil packs and run them threw a switch. Then you can pull up to a stop light and flip the switch and have that lopey idle. It'll only cost you like $20-$30 instead of a grand. That way you can keep the stock power curve and have that badass misfiring sputtering idle your looking for.
Fuck you

07 Boss

Reaction score

Lighten up Francis. Not sure why you got a run in your pantyhose but but it's a perfect solution to what you said you wanted. You said lopey idle and stock power. It's a better solution than cams which will change up your power curve, need tuning and installation, and won't cost a grand. It would take an hour or two compared to an afternoon under the hood.

Really just doing it for the old school idle - so far stock power has been fine for me.

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
Lighten up Francis. Not sure why you got a run in your pantyhose but but it's a perfect solution to what you said you wanted. You said lopey idle and stock power. It's a better solution than cams which will change up your power curve, need tuning and installation, and won't cost a grand. It would take an hour or two compared to an afternoon under the hood.

In the short time I've been here, I've already watched senior members run people off (that had thinner skin) with flip comments.....I know get its "old" when people post non-tech in a tech forum or ask a seemingly stupid question, but the only way this forum will stay viable (with a narrow market and aging platform) is to actually make new members feel welcome.....As far as your comment.....what about the 90% of s197owners that put aftermarket axle backs on their car "for sound only" - why not just drill holes in the stock muffler? For that matter, we all buy these cars because we like the retro look.....why not just tape mustang emblems on a Tesla (oh wait, ford already did that)...I guess I should have said, I want the old school idle to go with the old school looks, and I want to do it the right way....extra power is not the priority...that would have been more to the point I guess...sorry about the FU - enough of the Koombaya.....Ill try to be a better participant

07 Boss

Reaction score
In the short time I've been here, I've already watched senior members run people off (that had thinner skin) with flip comments.....I know get its "old" when people post non-tech in a tech forum or ask a seemingly stupid question, but the only way this forum will stay viable (with a narrow market and aging platform) is to actually make new members feel welcome.....As far as your comment.....what about the 90% of s197owners that put aftermarket axle backs on their car "for sound only" - why not just drill holes in the stock muffler? For that matter, we all buy these cars because we like the retro look.....why not just tape mustang emblems on a Tesla (oh wait, ford already did that)...I guess I should have said, I want the old school idle to go with the old school looks, and I want to do it the right way....extra power is not the priority...that would have been more to the point I guess...sorry about the FU - enough of the Koombaya.....Ill try to be a better participant

Putting cams in for the old school idle is not the RIGHT way to do it. Cams should be the last thing you do to your car and they should be used to tailor your power band for the mods you have. Have you gone with a gear change in the rear end? Have you done headers yet? These are the things you should do first in order to do it the right way. If all you want is to have your car miss and stumble at idle, cutting ignition to obtain that is the best and right way to do it. Cutting fuel may lead to other issues.

The more you speak the more your maturity level shows. You sound like my 14 yr old. Changing mufflers as well as your tesla emblem comment are cosmetic mods and have nothing to do with the way your motor runs. A lopey idle is an adverse byproduct of aggressive grind on a cam. The reason why it idles like that is because at idle your motor is basically running like shit. So, considering cams for cosmetic reasons is the wrong way to do it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
the hot rod cams really just add a bit of duration/overlap they are not radically changing the RPM band

Actually they do change the rpm band. Torque is lost below 3500rpm and gained above 5000rpm. From idle to 3200rpm the car will feel pretty gutless with stock 3.55 axle gears, and you'll then want to swap in 4.10s to make it feel more lively. After the 4.10s 1st gear will feel really short, like proper granny low, and you definitely won't like it. Then you'll want to swap in a T56 Magnum XL so you can have a taller 1st gear, and your wallet will become significantly lighter.
Now you see why swapping in Hot Rod cams in an otherwise stock car isn't a good idea if it's just for the sake of a choppy idle.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
For the record - I really never asked for anyone's opinion on if it was a good idea or not, only asked if anyone knew the best place to get them - then I got unsolicited advice from the "Boss" - I even apologized for my comment but got more of the same back.....In the back of my mind I keep hearing "never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. If your goal is for this forum to be your personal playground to pat each other on the back and bully others away.....mission accomplished - YOU WIN! goodbye

If you want to toss your hard-earned money on something you might regret later, be my guest. Unless you an find a good pair of used cams, $824 is as good a deal as you're likely to get given that new ones retail for about $950. Don't forget to buy a pair of new cam phaser bolts and budget for a revised tune (Lito [email protected] is the guy to go to if you don't want your car to play buckaroo at low rpm).

JC SSP

Reaction score
I know I am the new guy to the forum, but definitely not new to the Mustangs, but why the negative treatment of a new member?

He even apologized... Am I missing something here?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I know I am the new guy to the forum, but definitely not new to the Mustangs, but why the negative treatment of a new member?

He even apologized... Am I missing something here?

You are new. The attitude you are noting is entrenched. Don't go looking around with a serious attitude for more than some mostly correct car stuff on here, you will regret it.

@Danny Paladino Just save $100 or $200 a month until you can order the cams from a good vendor like beefcake or summit. I have 127300 comp cams and probably will sell them one day and drop in a set of hot rods, at the same time I change my exhaust to mid mount mufflers because... I like the way it sounds. My car will probably be slower. It it already slower than the new Hummer or cyber truck, when the latter comes out in 2049. Who cares! Enjoy your life.

Mustang Terlingua

Reaction score
Danny Paladino talks like a previous owner of the "C" word [Chevy I don't want to use fowl language] that complains at a drivers meeting at the track "It ain't fair the Old guys are faster than me" ! Shut Y'alls mouth & listen to experience. I have spent $ tens ofwillow springs 10.04 008.jpg thousands of dollars just cuz I didn't listen to some old guy that had been there & done that !

Laga

Reaction score
Danny Paladino talks like a previous owner of the "C" word [Chevy I don't want to use fowl language] that complains at a drivers meeting at the track "It ain't fair the Old guys are faster than me" ! Shut Y'alls mouth & listen to experience. I have spent $ tens ofView attachment 84948 thousands of dollars just cuz I didn't listen to some old guy that had been there & done that !
Your post reads like a meme on FB. Which are 99% BS.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Actually they do change the rpm band. Torque is lost below 3500rpm and gained above 5000rpm. From idle to 3200rpm the car will feel pretty gutless with stock 3.55 axle gears, and you'll then want to swap in 4.10s to make it feel more lively. After the 4.10s 1st gear will feel really short, like proper granny low, and you definitely won't like it. Then you'll want to swap in a T56 Magnum XL so you can have a taller 1st gear, and your wallet will become significantly lighter.
Now you see why swapping in Hot Rod cams in an otherwise stock car isn't a good idea if it's just for the sake of a choppy idle.
IOW, for a street car...it's a wasted effort. Your gas mileage will go for a shit as well.

BottleRocket

Reaction score

I'm on my 3rd Mustang GT 4.6. The first was bone stock, the second had a CAI with tune (lost it to a deer at 32K), and my third '08 GT/CS, purchased at 29K miles with Ford shorty headers, a CAI, The Ford 'box' tune, and the Hot Rod cams. I replaced the Ford shorties with BBK long tubes and a BBK high flow cat mid pipe. It runs great, a little soft under 3K RPM but once you get over 3.5K it pulls like a freight train. Yes, the idle is impressive, but the performance is more impressive than the first 2 stock '08 4.6 GTs that I've owned. And I'm telling you what I know, not what I've heard or read about.

Back