How NOT to "detail" your car.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
So I was doing my daily YouTube dose today, and based on the recent AMMONYC, AutoGeek, CG, etc. videos I've been watching, YouTube recommended this guy named, Gary Dean. This dude is so full of himself, his calls his washing method the "Gary Dean Washing Method." Now granted, I've only realized what damage I've been doing by the reading and videos I've seen the past few weeks, but as this guy does his "washing method," I start cringing:

If you watch his other videos, he will touch some very high end cars, GT500's, Ferrari's, etc. However, his method is doing his wash, clay bar, sealant, and he then believes the cars are ready to go within less than an hour. I wonder why he keeps comments disabled?

:dead2:

Last edited:

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I ran across his channel a week or two ago and couldnt watch a whole video, dude is annoying.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Gary Dean is very annoying but i have used his wash method. I think if you want to do a waterless wash that is the best way. You are essentially loosening all the dirt then using a new towel on every panel or less. When i use this method it is due to the weather and I have probably 15 or so towels that are dedicated for this only. My car usually also has a layer of dust from sitting in the garage and has no actual road grime. This method is safer then you think.

I will still do my rinse, foam cannon, rinse, 2 bucket method, sheet, blow dry, then finish drying on my normal washes.

SSStang

forum member
Reaction score
Yes he is annoying but I recently started doing a rinseless wash and like it. I used his detail juice before and it is a good product but I'm now using optimun no rinse wash(ONR). I also have about 15 or so microfibers dedicated just for this.
I'm not sure if I would use it on a black car with soft paint.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes he is annoying but I recently started doing a rinseless wash and like it. I used his detail juice before and it is a good product but I'm now using optimun no rinse wash(ONR). I also have about 15 or so microfibers dedicated just for this.
I'm not sure if I would use it on a black car with soft paint.

That's me right there. I have use Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe Waterless Wash since day 1...have never used a hose/bucket. I do too have tons of microfiber towels for the job.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
If you do it correctly, this method does not mar the paint. Of course if it has salt and nastiness then obviously presoak and rinse. I use waterless methods on the mustang most of the year and paint still looks amazing. I can go two years before a touch up polish and I am OCD about swirls.

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
Just a variation of the old "Three Towel" method, but with modern microfiber towels.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I use this method exclusively but only on the Mustang because it is never driven in the rain. It only gets road dust on it. If I drove it in the rain I would definitely not use this method. Too much sandy grit from the asphalt can stick to the surface.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
His method really is the best way to do a safe waterless wash.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
While I haven't tried the method, the guy does come across as a little annoying. I do my car one of two ways....I'd ocd and quick detailing it every one to two days or I'll let it get dirty for a month or so and then take a weekend and detail the crap out of it starting with a 2 bucket wash.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I just don't trust it after reading a couple other threads on here saying that a QD and MF is a no-no unless it is light dusting. My car is a DD, so I'll never have just light dusting.

He does come off a bit annoying though. Kind of reminds me of the same personality Alex gives #YDBT. He likes to say, "In my opinion, my stuff is the best in the world," but doesn't really back it up other than it is his opinion, and "other people comment about it all the time," though his blocks comments on his videos. That and he plugs his products almost every 10 secs. Just introduce what you are using, and then go with the generic name for the rest of the video.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I still stand 200% behind my position that a waterless car wash is not as safe as the tradition 2 bucket, light pressure washer, foam cannon, and blow dry.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
I'm just an amateur when it comes to detailing but I just can't make myself do stuff like this. I still rinse the car very thoroughly, use a new/washed wash mit, and use an overkill amount of car wash soap lol.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I still stand 200% behind my position that a waterless car wash is not as safe as the tradition 2 bucket, light pressure washer, foam cannon, and blow dry.

I think waterless washes have their places. I will do a full wash on my car before a waterless but this is the safest way to do a waterless wash. I also think depending on the towels you use also makes a difference. I will also go through 2 or 3 32oz bottles of uww+ each time.

I'm just an amateur when it comes to detailing but I just can't make myself do stuff like this. I still rinse the car very thoroughly, use a new/washed wash mit, and use an overkill amount of car wash soap lol.

To much soap isn't always good. To much soap and to long on the paint can strip your LSP. Now your wax won't come ofter after one wash but will over time. If you use a quality soap you only need an ounce maybe 2 and it'll be perfect.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
00blkvert, you have a black car. I sure hope you aren't doing waterless, even if its just "dust"

I do it about every other time I drive it. And trust me I'm very anal about the finish and I don't get scratches. I blow the car off really well with an air compressor first. Like the video I soak all my towels in either ONR or CG waterless wash. I have a hand held pump sprayer that also has the same solution to wet each panel. The key to not getting scratches is to fold the microfiber in fours and go only ONE pass from left to right lets say on a door panel. Then fold the cloth over and wipe again just below that prior pass going left to right. Repeat,repeat. NEVER go in a "S" pattern with one side. I see Dean do this and I cringe. Always go in a single pass and flip the cloth with each pass. I use about a dozen + microfibers to do the car this way. Not a big deal as I have several dozen of them and wash them all once every couple weeks or so.

IMO, a traditional bucket wash uses the same towel / wash mit each time. Even using the two bucket method your still not going to be able to rid that microfiber towel or wash mitt free of contaminants every time you dunk it, even if its in a separate rinse bucket. I think your just as apt to introduce micro marring in a bucket wash vs any other wash. That's my experience anyway.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
00blkvert, you have a black car. I sure hope you aren't doing waterless, even if its just "dust"

I don't do it often but I haven't had any issues with scratching you have a better chance of scratching your car with a drying towel. You have to think my car sits in a garage for a week or 2 or 3 without moving and it just collects dust no grime, brake dust, or bugs.

I do it about every other time I drive it. And trust me I'm very anal about the finish and I don't get scratches. I blow the car off really well with an air compressor first. Like the video I soak all my towels in either ONR or CG waterless wash. I have a hand held pump sprayer that also has the same solution to wet each panel. The key to not getting scratches is to fold the microfiber in fours and go only ONE pass from left to right lets say on a door panel. Then fold the cloth over and wipe again just below that prior pass going left to right. Repeat,repeat. NEVER go in a "S" pattern with one side. I see Dean do this and I cringe. Always go in a single pass and flip the cloth with each pass. I use about a dozen + microfibers to do the car this way. Not a big deal as I have several dozen of them and wash them all once every couple weeks or so.

IMO, a traditional bucket wash uses the same towel / wash mit each time. Even using the two bucket method your still not going to be able to rid that microfiber towel or wash mitt free of contaminants every time you dunk it, even if its in a separate rinse bucket. I think your just as apt to introduce micro marring in a bucket wash vs any other wash. That's my experience anyway.

Perfect way to put it. A waterless wash is all about the technique. If you use a shitty technique, towels that are to dry, or a crappy or dirty towel marring will happen but as a whole, on a car that is dusty or light dirt it is fine.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back