How NOT to "detail" your car.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
IMO, a traditional bucket wash uses the same towel / wash mit each time. Even using the two bucket method your still not going to be able to rid that microfiber towel or wash mitt free of contaminants every time you dunk it, even if its in a separate rinse bucket. I think your just as apt to introduce micro marring in a bucket wash vs any other wash. That's my experience anyway.

When you use a 2400 psi pressure washer to loosen and remove any dirt, and then a foam cannon with a quality encapsulating detergent, and 3 mitts (one for the roof/bumpers, one for the hood, trunk lid, upper portion of panels, in that order), and one for the lower portion of the car, and you dry it with a electric leaf blower, you are not likely to get anything that can't be polished away with the least abrasive polishes on the market, if any swirls at all.

Plus, all of my personal cars and trucks are Nano-Hide sealed. I can't put scratches in the paint if I TRY (and trust me, I've tried). If I do get swirls, I leave the car in the sun for an hour and they're gone. I can literally wash my car with water and a shower towel and it won't do any damage and will come out phenomenal. Only down side is the protection costs upwards of $700.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
My $0.02 on waterless/rinseless washing.

In 2008 San Antonio was in a very serious drought that brought unprecedented water restrictions. I had been thinking about doing the ONR Wash, but didn't really have a reason as I was comfortable doing the 2 Bucket/Foam gun wash. With the restrictions in place, I had no choice but to do an ONR wash to keep my car clean. I followed a user from Dallas called Scottwax who had it down pat and did his demo on a black Porsche. He bought a pump up sprayer and filled it with a double dose ONR and water to do a "Pre Soak" on each panel before he did the ONR wipe. He used a Pro Line grout sponge to wipe the panel clean, then followed up with a MF wipe to dry. Doing one panel at a time.

I used this method in the "cover" of my garage for around 9 months and didn't get any marring or swirling as checked by a home made Sun gun. The key for me though was to go to the local car wash to rinse the car before I washed it at home to get the heavy stuff off. I have used the "Garry Dean" method with my presoak during the winter with no ill effects. But this will never replace my doing the traditional 2BM/Foam gun routine.

All that was done to both my 2001 Dark Green Bullitt and my 2012 Black 5.0.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score
I still stand 200% behind my position that a waterless car wash is not as safe as the tradition 2 bucket, light pressure washer, foam cannon, and blow dry.

You're also not pointing out the difference between a Waterless and a rinseless wash. I know that Shelby gave you a hell of a time but if done correctly (I'm not saying you didn't or you did) both rinseless and Waterless wash methods can be completely effective for all levels of washes. I do Waterless on cars valued in the millions after a 8-10 day correction and some drive time with 0 ill effects on coated and non coated cars alike. Ultima is a staple in my arsenal for washing and it is amazing for both cost and efficiency. Also when you look at the science behind the chemicals, soap is not the most effective tool for auto detailing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Gary Dean is very annoying but i have used his wash method. I think if you want to do a waterless wash that is the best way. You are essentially loosening all the dirt then using a new towel on every panel or less. When i use this method it is due to the weather and I have probably 15 or so towels that are dedicated for this only. My car usually also has a layer of dust from sitting in the garage and has no actual road grime. This method is safer then you think.

I will still do my rinse, foam cannon, rinse, 2 bucket method, sheet, blow dry, then finish drying on my normal washes.

I thought about trying this method. But what stopped me... I thought about how many towels I would use for me to feel I am not hurting my car, and how much water it takes to wash them all and then dry them. Seems counter productive if one looks at the entire process.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
That's another thing I don't like either is the towel count. Probably those who have done this a while won't mind since they may be used to what towels do what, and how many they will actually need. However, your average amateur or weekend warrior is probably going to stay away from wanting 15 towels atm. I already have enough towels laying around the house to stay away from adding another 15 just for a waterless method.

One of YouTubers that I was linked to, from one of Gary's videos, said that he was using 15-20 mitts (probably the wrong kind of mitt), but was able to use 5 towels with Dean's method. I've heard, at most, of maybe 3 mitts at one time, but not 15-20. Kind of a misleading reason to switch methods on that kid's end. Plus the kid was washing with "S" movements, not the one swipe and flip style as mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Thats another thing...as a detailing professional (if you can call it that lol), I wouldn't be able to keep 30+ towels a day dedicated to washing a car, and towels for the interior, and so forth. I would have a truck full of towels with no room for anything else.

I detail 2-4 cars a day depending on how advanced a detail they want. Thats 30-60 towels just for paint alone!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I hear someone referenced my videos? Just wanted to say hi....:)

We post them whenever there is one related to the topic. Especially when SVTP gets talked about in the TToTD thread.

50 posts...no idea who you are. please elaborate.

This man needs no introduction.

I Lol'd at this.

i just don't know who it is and want to see this video lol

Lol
Youtube.com\fiveohalex

Few of my favorites:

Also, Lupo, if you know about how Shaun@AED tried to get a guy fired from his job over some stupid BS, there are a couple videos about that on there as well.

Last edited:

fiveohalex

forum member
Reaction score
We post them whenever there is one related to the topic. Especially when SVTP gets talked about in the TToTD thread.

I Lol'd at this.

Few of my favorites:

Also, Lupo, if you know about how Shaun@AED tried to get a guy fired from his job over some stupid BS, there are a couple videos about that on there as well.

HAHAHA i appreciate that, sometimes i look back at these and go.."What the fuck am in on" LOL. Lately i've been on a 3rd party vendor kick, It's quite the shit show over on some facebook groups. Sorry for the potential NEWB question but what is the TT/TD referring to SVTP?

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
The blowfish bracket video is my all time favorite. First time I watched that I laughed so fuckin hard.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back