How to turbocharge your 4.6 for less than $2000

ratatat7

Banned
Reaction score
Fairly simple, really. 450hp super easy, super cheap.
Start with this kit, which is incredible looking. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...3QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT#ht_2030wt_734
From what I can tell, it comes with everything and more. Coolant tank relocation, option to vent wastegate to atm or to exhaust, metal rad hoses, it even hooks up right after your cats, then goes back to where it left off in the system.
Pretty darn complete for around $1300, and boost brothers produce amazing stuff.

The remaining components are injector upgrade, fuel system upgrade, and spark plug upgrade.
Spark plug:
HT0's are $80 from summit (2005-2008.5)
Brisk silvers are $130 on ebay (2009-2010)

Injectors needed are 39lb. More than that is overkill.
$270 on ebay
Around $100 on this forum

The only fuel system upgrade you REALLY need, is upgrading the stock pump and FPDM. The FPDM upgrade is easy, splitting a relay into the white wire on the FPDM. The pump upgrade is part of Lightblades creation, adding an aeromotive stealth 340 in place of the stock pump, that can be found on ebay for about $170

So adding all of that up, you can average about $1700 for the components, then fork out about $300 for tuning. That's it. 450hp for $2000.

I hope this is tech enough. Enjoy guys.

ratatat7

Banned
Reaction score
No problem. I know someone can really appreciate all of the info in one thread, takes out all the guesswork.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Fairly simple, really. 450hp super easy, super cheap.
Start with this kit, which is incredible looking. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...3QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT#ht_2030wt_734
From what I can tell, it comes with everything and more. Coolant tank relocation, option to vent wastegate to atm or to exhaust, metal rad hoses, it even hooks up right after your cats, then goes back to where it left off in the system.
Pretty darn complete for around $1300, and boost brothers produce amazing stuff.

The remaining components are injector upgrade, fuel system upgrade, and spark plug upgrade.
Spark plug:
HT0's are $80 from summit (2005-2008.5)
Brisk silvers are $130 on ebay (2009-2010)

Injectors needed are 39lb. More than that is overkill.
$270 on ebay
Around $100 on this forum

The only fuel system upgrade you REALLY need, is upgrading the stock pump and FPDM. The FPDM upgrade is easy, splitting a relay into the white wire on the FPDM. The pump upgrade is part of Lightblades creation, adding an aeromotive stealth 340 in place of the stock pump, that can be found on ebay for about $170

So adding all of that up, you can average about $1700 for the components, then fork out about $300 for tuning. That's it. 450hp for $2000.

I hope this is tech enough. Enjoy guys.

Wow, and I thought I did it on the cheap:popcorneat::whistling:

ratatat7

Banned
Reaction score
And a little extra special treat, I was able to negotiate a further $150 off the kit by paying the seller outside of ebay. Ebay takes about 10%, and paypal is like 2% or something, so that's money that didn't need to be lost. I also had an intercooler already, so a took another $100 off. Kit has cost me less than $1700 to put together, all in all.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
No need to figure in a tuner or a dyno tune either, big savings there!!

ratatat7

Banned
Reaction score
DAAAYUM YOOOOO you gonna put some naaawz on errr

Not really. This kit will easily put the motor at around 450/450 which is more than plenty and puts the motor and transmission near its limit. Adding nitrous would be nice, but without further upgrades to everything else, just not worth it. This is really the cheapest way to max out a stock gt for the least money. Cams cost almost a grand and don't offer half the power of a turbo, same with long tubes. Nitrous is a pain and costly as well. I am selling my well equipped nitrous kit for that reason.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Be careful with that wastegate, bov, turbo, piping, and the rest. It's never fun to blow a motor.

And I see they're local to me. Now I want to know which local company is sending out those kits. I could save on shipping and cut 10% off of kit cost.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Not really. This kit will easily put the motor at around 450/450 which is more than plenty and puts the motor and transmission near its limit. Adding nitrous would be nice, but without further upgrades to everything else, just not worth it. This is really the cheapest way to max out a stock gt for the least money. Cams cost almost a grand and don't offer half the power of a turbo, same with long tubes. Nitrous is a pain and costly as well. I am selling my well equipped nitrous kit for that reason.
Tell me more dude I don't know much about turbos:thud:

ratatat7

Banned
Reaction score
No need to figure in a tuner or a dyno tune either, big savings there!!

So adding all of that up, you can average about $1700 for the components, then fork out about $300 for tuning.

A good, fair dyno tune is right around $300, as stated. This is assuming the person buying this system already has a tuner, since it is the most common upgrade besides exhaust. The guy that does my dyno tunes can upload them straight to the car, without a need for me to own a handheld tuner.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Be careful with that wastegate, bov, turbo, piping, and the rest. It's never fun to blow a motor.

And I see they're local to me. Now I want to know which local company is sending out those kits. I could save on shipping and cut 10% off of kit cost.
Its boost brothers they changed there name to relentless and we all know why

ratatat7

Banned
Reaction score

It is a boost brothers system, they have been known for quality work on the long tube headers for our cars, so I would assume they don't cut corners.

Tell me more dude I don't know much about turbos:thud:

I am sure if you stick around this thread it will start to get more towards the tech side and can be more informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back