How to "unmarry" an SCT X3?

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by RavenGT, Oct 14, 2020.

1. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

Anybody know how to do this? I have an X3 that SCT will not work on due to the early serial number. Am I just stuck with a ~$350 paper weight? The vehicle it's married to is long gone. I have a project car that needs tuning and really would prefer to not buy another device.

2. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

Send it to SCT, $150 Fee, last I heard

edit,SCT won’t unlock,it?

3. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

You have to send it in as STKJOCK said. I have an early serial number X3 and SCT can't seem to get it working so that I can update it to work with live link II. I can still load tunes with it but have a newer locked one that I bought for $50 to datalog with since it will still take updates.

I think SCT are trying to get people to trade up so that they don't have as many frustrated customers due to the glitchy nature of the early X3's, it's probably costing a bunch to keep up with the tech support. They do offer a trade in program but a lot of days I wonder why I haven't switched to HP tuners.

4. Juice

Juice forum member

Did you buy it locked for $350?
    But yea, SCT can unlock for a fee
    OR
    Restore to stock.
    Only ways to unmarry device. And since the car is no longer accessible......SCT is your only option.

5. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

Bought it new for about that much in 07 to tune my then-new 08 GT. SCT won't unlock it due to the early serial number. Gonna open this thing up to see exactly what we are working with here. Looks like I'll have to buy a new X4 for my 10 GT project car. Meanwhile I have another X4 that is married to my 14 GT. Leaning towards getting an S550, which will need yet another X4.

Somebody can figure this out, just have to find the right person with the right skill set. This one device per car shit has got to end.

6. Juice

Juice forum member

The tuners are VIN locked. If you can connect to a pcm with matching VIN, and restore to stock, that should unlock it.

7. skwerl

skwerl tree hugger

Of course it is locked to one VIN. How else would SCT stop people from ripping them off by tuning multiple vehicles with one device? Quit being a cheap ass and toss it. It was $350 you spent over a decade ago and you already used it for however long you had the car.

And on that note, why didn't you send it along with the car when you sold it? Or unlock it before selling the car? Kinda late to be trying to claw back a few dollars spent 13 years ago.

8. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

now that is the Skwerl we all love and know

dark steed, jewc75 and skwerl like this.
  9. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

The device opens by just pressing on these two tabs on the bottom and pulling the two case halves apart. DO NOT do this if your device is still under warranty. This is an old X3. Way out of warranty. x31.JPG x32.JPG The user interface simply attaches with a ribbon cable. x33.JPG
    The OBD-II cable is easily detached. x34.JPG x35.JPG Note the ARM processor and the SD card. x36.JPG Display easily detaches as well. x37.JPG Underside of board. x38.JPG
    Now to examine the contents of the SD card...

10. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

What I thought is an SD card at first glance is actually an MMC card. Not surprisingly, it does not use any Windows file system. My best guess at this point is some sort of Linux file system. Anybody know?

crd2.JPG crd1.JPG

11. skwerl

skwerl tree hugger

If the answers you seek were that easy, SCT would be out of business by now. :beerdrink:

12. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

Not expecting easy, but certainly not impossible either.

13. Juice

Juice forum member

I would bet it is due to SCT's PROPRIETARY software and encryption.

14. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

Well yes, of course it's proprietary. Encrypted though? In working with the Device Updater application, so far I can see that it has Obsidian anti-cracking software attached. An application would not be encrypted, usually only data would be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.