HP Tuning Software

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone using this currently?

I know nothing about tuning... But curious how easy this software is to use.

I've always wanted to know how to tune, but I don't think it's a good idea to start learning on this car. Especially since I have twin turbos possibly coming in spring. Would I have enough time to learn all I need to know by then to run the car safely? I'm betting not with how many parameters there are.

Anyone that has experience, is it a huge leap from learning how to tune a N/A car, to learning to tune a turbo car?

From what I understand the HP tuner software requires credits to use, as in you spend 2 credits and you license it to your PCM and you can make adjustments as many times as you want. If you want to tune another vehicle, it takes another 2 credits to license that one, etc. Is this correct? If so it seems fair enough.

Thanks for any advice on the software.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Eric Brooks was involved with the HP Tuners software. You might look him up and ask about it.

Pick up the book "Advanced Engine Management" by Greg Banish and read it. You will know at the end if you want to tune your car or not. It's under $20 from Amazon.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
After purchasing that, reading it, and understanding it would I be able understand the basics enough to tune a car? I am going to order it if so.

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Eric Brooks was involved with the HP Tuners software. You might look him up and ask about it.

He still is and is very active on their forum hptuners.com/forum

I use HP Tuners to tune my Mustang. There is quite a learning curve. So far I have only tuned for 93 Octane. Going to be tuning for my Whipple soon. Reading and learning a lot and looking at a TON of different files.

After purchasing that, reading it, and understanding it would I be able understand the basics enough to tune a car? I am going to order it if so.

I haven't read the book. I would think it would give you a basic understanding of what is going on and what you are trying to accomplish. There is quite a bit of stuff specific to the 2011+ 5.0 engines that you still would probably need to wrap your head around. I think tuning is fascinating, but it can also be extremely frustrating. :thud:

Anyone that has experience, is it a huge leap from learning how to tune a N/A car, to learning to tune a turbo car?
Short answer. YES. Not trying to scare you, but i would not want to learn to tune on a FI car. The methodology is similar but there is much less room for error. If you aren't careful it can cost you a motor

Last edited:

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
I use it.

I started with GM vehicles. Tuned a lot of Cobalt SS' and the like. Tuned mine to 334WHP and over 400WTQ with stock turbo.

I would recommend not starting to learn on a Coyote, but if it's all you got then so be it. They have a ton of sprak tables and even more with the 2015 revisions. There are so many things to change that you want to understand what each table does and how it effects other tables and why those need to be changed.

If you are going to purchase HPT, then be sure to read until your eyes hurt and then read some more. I've only been doing it for about 5 years now and have yet to feel comfortable with the Coyote. Make sure you invest in a quality wideband to log with.

Check the forum out and read read read.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?18-Ford-Tuning-Engine-Gas-(US-Vehicles)

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wish they had all the parameters when I bought sct advantage 3. I rather used hp tuners. It's a good amount cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

No matter what just get the book. It will increase your knowledge of engine management and in internal combustion theory. Lots of good info in that book.

Once you have a good grasp of what is controlled and why you will have a better understanding of the parameters and tables available to you with the tuning software.

When you start tuning a base file of your stock tune is provided with sct software. I believe HP pulls your tune from the ecu. In either event you start with a working tune and modify from there. In the case of sct they have a variety of value files for various modifications. Sometimes they are pretty close and sometimes not. In any event they will help you get started.

Once you set up a base tune it's more of a process of logging what is going on and modifying the tune where needed. Some of the more complicated things can be turned off and simplified if need be. An example would be spark adders with a 3v. There are a number of parameters that can be used to add or subtract spark for different reasons like iat, ect, load, etc. Besides having a custom spark table I've also turned off all adders but kept them for subtraction. Basically I've turned off the ecu ability to add spark but it can still subtract if something gets out of hand. I'd hope that the 5.0 would allow something similar.

If I was in your shoes I'd buy the book, get in touch with Eric Brooks or another competent tuner and see about having a base tune written for your car. It shouldn't cost too much and will give you a solid foundation to start with.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
My car currently is tuned with HP software. Great software, with a lot of online support. But you still need to understand the basics prior to jumping in with both feet.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score

Pick up the book "Advanced Engine Management" by Greg Banish and read it. You will know at the end if you want to tune your car or not. It's under $20 from Amazon.

Bruce - Any recommendations on engine building reads; specifically on modular ford motors?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back