HPDE tool set essentials?

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
So my first track event is coming up next weekend (March 15-16) at Sonoma Raceway. This is the first track event I've been to in 15 years, and I'll be driving what amounts to a brand new car both in terms of time of manufacture and in terms of my familiarity with it.

I don't have a trailer or anything of the sort. At most, I have another car that can transport some stuff. Much of the available capacity will be taken by the original wheels and tires that came with the car, as I've no idea how long I should expect the tires I'll be running with to last (my intention is to run the Forgestar F14 19x10 wheels with Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position 285/35-19 tires on them), so expect there's at most one car's trunk capacity available.

So, my question: what are the essential tools for the track? Because I lack familiarity with the specific mechanicals of the car, I don't have familiarity with the various bolt sizes and such, so please be specific here. I'll be taking spare rotors and pads, my Harbor Freight 2 ton aluminum floor jack, jackstands, a couple of scissor jacks, my torque wrench, and whatever other tools you guys would recommend given the limited space.

I suppose, too, that I should spring for the shop manual, but if there's a convenient resource for things like torque specs for the basic bits and pieces one can expect to remove and put back (wheel lugs nuts, caliper attachment bolts, etc.), that would be most handy.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Electric impact wrench

If you are going to mess with brake pads, the caliper pusher tool for the rears is nice to have

For filling your car with wheels- put one in the spare well, then, with backseats folded, stack two behind the driver seat, and put the fourth upright behind the passenger seat. Move the passenger seat back to pin it in place. Then, you have the whole trunk free for your junk.

All this went in my car...
mark-trunk-XL.jpg

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Nice! However, note that I'm 6'3" tall, so I drive with the seat nearly all the way back. But since I'll have an additional car available, it sounds like I should have plenty of room.

What else should I bring? What socket sizes? What wrench sizes? Metric or standard or both?

Assume I'm starting from scratch and know nothing about what to bring...

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Also, got any recommendations for a good electric impact wrench? And a link to that caliper pusher tool would be appreciated as well...

Will I need anything to push back the caliper pistons of the front brakes in the event I have to change pads (my car has the track package, so it's got the 14" Brembo brakes up front)?

Last edited:

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
For electric impacts this is a good as it gets and the price is fair. I've used mine to remove stuck bolts that my 1/2 snap on impact won't take off and the price is fair. Almost half what I paid.
http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-w7150-k1.

For the rear calipers I used one of these for a LONG time and it got the job done, you just need a 3/8 ratchet and 6" ext.

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-28600.aspx

But his one is way better for a little more.
http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-78618.aspx

For the fronts I just use two small 6" pry bars to push the front/rear pads in at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
You should only need metric tools. A set of wrenches and sockets that go from 8-21mm should cover about anything you'll need. The lugnuts are 100ft lbs, not sure about the caliper and mounting bracket specs, I usually just make sure they are tight by hand but I can look up the specs of you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
An electric impact with socket set including 8, 10, 13, 15, 18, 21 should do you just fine.

Bring a good tire pressure gauge.

Also here is the shop manual with torque specs for everything you can think of: http://www.iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
BTW, the stock lug nuts are not metric. They are 13/16" (~0.5mm smaller than 21mm). Half a millimeter may not seem that huge until you hit them with an impact a bunch of times. And 100 foot pounds is correct for them. Not sure about whatever nuts you have for the F14s.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Also, got any recommendations for a good electric impact wrench? And a link to that caliper pusher tool would be appreciated as well...

Will I need anything to push back the caliper pistons of the front brakes in the event I have to change pads (my car has the track package, so it's got the 14" Brembo brakes up front)?

You will need to push back the pads. Pliers can be used to get them pulled out a bit, then when they are up a bit you can use whatever you've got (incl a proper spreader, clamps, etc) to push directly on the pads to push the pistons in.

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
Personally I would have the car ready to go except for the spare wheels and tires. Just bring those with you. It isn't that much fun loosing track time because you have to switch out pads and rotors at the track. You can do all of that before you get to the track. I have driven with track brakes on the street to get to the track without any problems.

Most HPDE will have some kind of class after they go out on the track. That doesn't leave you much time to get stuff done before your next session. You'll also find that you end up talking to others and time just goes by really fast.

Your tire could last you all season long depending on how hard you push them.

For brake pad and rotor replace follow this link:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/diy-brake-rotor-pad-change-brembo-equipped-5-0-a-501151/

Does a good detailed description with pictures.

For switching pads I use:

Lisle 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GLQCKA/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Astro Pneumatic 78618 Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set - 18 Piece
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RDGMNM/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
I bleed brakes, swap brake pads and put a wrench (just to verify nothing is loose) on all of the suspension components before each HPDE. As I do that, every tool I use goes in a small tool bag that I carry to the track. That will take care of most problems.

In my experience you can't predict everything you'll need, but there are people there that are happy to help you. In times of need, look for someone with a mustang and an enclosed trailer. Dollars to donuts you've found someone who has a stocked tool box and know how to fix most problems, and someone is willing to help you out. Typical "don't be a mooch" rules apply here, paying them back with helping push cars onto the trailer, help in packing up and buying lunch are just a few ways to say thanks.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
This is an AWSOME thread because I have been getting a tool list together for mine also. When we raced bikes we brought 2 big tool boxes with enough spares to rebuild the bike twice including engines. Right now my list fills up my old big roll around track box. Basicley everything but the TIG in the corner! LOL!

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If you are changing brake pads on the Brembo calipers you will need a small punch and hammer to push the retainer bars out, and to re-seat them.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Electric impact wrench

If you are going to mess with brake pads, the caliper pusher tool for the rears is nice to have

For filling your car with wheels- put one in the spare well, then, with backseats folded, stack two behind the driver seat, and put the fourth upright behind the passenger seat. Move the passenger seat back to pin it in place. Then, you have the whole trunk free for your junk.

All this went in my car...
mark-trunk-XL.jpg

All that fit inside the car? :thud: That's good to see. I was sure I'd have to get a tire trailer to transport a dedicated set of wheels & tires. Those look like the 18x10 D-Force? With 285 or 295 tires? I am guessing no harness bar or roll hoop? It looks like I can spread out some of the expense I was looking at. :highfive:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
All that fit inside the car? :thud: That's good to see. I was sure I'd have to get a tire trailer to transport a dedicated set of wheels & tires. Those look like the 18x10 D-Force? With 285 or 295 tires? I am guessing no harness bar or roll hoop? It looks like I can spread out some of the expense I was looking at. :highfive:

18x10 D-Forces with 275/35/18's. For the record...I actually got my 18x11's with 315's in there too, with a harness bar. That took a lot more doing however.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
If you don't mind the extra weight of the trailer hitch when you're racing, you could tow one of those small harbor freight trailers. They're big enough to haul a toolbox and four tires.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Cool, so what I have in mind will fit for a while.

I have been looking at the HF utility trailer. A guy with a heavily modified Miata parked next to me at the last track day & had one. Nice little setup. He even had his giant splitter on it. It seemed like a better solution than the S197 that had the little HF trailer hitch rack hanging off his bumper, loaded with tires. Not surprisingly, it was bent (I've dealt with one of those & they are not sturdy).

Enough of my hijack, I am looking at putting together a list of tools to take as well. Two rolling toolboxes is not an option, a smaller tool bag or little carry box is more feasible--like in csamsh's picture.

So, to try an itemize a list:
- Socket set 8-21mm & handle.
- Lug nut-sized socket
- Torque wrench (range? 100ft/lbs for wheels, but a smaller one too?).
- Electric impact wrench & batteries.
- floor jack
- jack stands
- Pliers (just in case)
- screwdrivers (again, just in case, couple of each variety)
- Brake tools (Lisle 29100 & Astro-Pneumatic 78618 set linked above for ease).
- Hammer/mallet & punches (for Brembos)
- Tire pressure gauge
- Air pump

Would it be worthwhile to have a torx or allen set? I don't think they will normally be needed, but they aren't big either.

I'm sure there's stuff missing, and this is just for tools, not other supplies.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think any tool box ever is complete without screwdrivers, allen keys, visegrips, and zip ties. You never know...

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
And tape. Racer's tape. I've had to tape bodies back together to stay in a race.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Battery powered Impact Wrench
4-point lug wrench
Tire Pressure Gauge
Pyrometer
Torque Wrench
Portable Air Compressor
10' x 10' Canopy with folding chairs
Wheel chocks
Aluminum car jack
Jack Stands
Breaker Bar
C-Clamp
Pliers, Screwdriver, electrical tape
Socket to remove sparkplugs
Gloves
Brake Bleeder
Extra brake pads
Brake Fluid
Motor Oil
Zip ties
Set of metric and US allen wrenches
Jumper cables
Portable light
Rubber Mallet
Rags
Extra set of lug nuts
Telescopic magnet and small mirror

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back