Non Mustang tire rim question

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
In addition to my Mustang I have a 2013 Tahoe. I'm on my second set of rims (Polished aluminum?). Unfortunately, living in snow country and the mixture they spray on the highways is hell on the rims. They leak around the tire bead and I'm having to put in ten to 15 pounds of air at least weekly, if not more.

Talked with local tire shop and they tell me if I go to steal rims it's harder on the car, less gas milage and higher cost due to price of steal in the US. Any of this make sense?

I'm 85 and don't know how much longer I'll be driving. So, I hate to put an expensive set of rims on the car.

FredB66

Reaction score
None of what they said make sense. I'd go to a different tire shop. The solution may be as simple as dismounting the tires, cleaning up the sealing surface on the rims and remounting them. If there's pitting on the sealing surface from corrosion, new rims may be the answer, but I'd start with having them inspected by a reputable shop.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah aluminum does corrode but I would suspect a good cleaning or Emory cloth around the mounting face will resolve the issue.

Definitely seek a second opinion.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did go to a different tire shop. They tell me they don't have steal rims in my car size in their warehouse. They did have rims that are mainly black paint with a small about of chrome accents. Looking at about $1400. to purchase and install.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I have a set of wheels on a trailer that have trouble sealing. Local independent shop brushed the bead sealing area heavily, then spray painted the inside of the rim. They haven't leaked since. Independent shops are the best!

Samos3

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did go to a different tire shop. They tell me they don't have steal rims in my car size in their warehouse. They did have rims that are mainly black paint with a small about of chrome accents. Looking at about $1400. to purchase and install.
Yikes! I would try Fix A Flat or the green goo first.
I did that on the alloy rims on my RX7 that had a similar slow leak issue.

I did a kind of fussy process where I partially deflated the tire and put in the FAF, then drove on it per the instructions. The next day I jacked it up and totally deflated the tire then refilled it to get as much FAF gas out of it (tire guys hate that stuff). No more slow leak. The green goo works similarly.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Fix a flat can cause vibration because it’s mostly liquid (sloshing around). The green stuff might be better but i would clean the mounting area first.

Samos3

Reaction score
Fix a flat can cause vibration because it’s mostly liquid (sloshing around). The green stuff might be better but i would clean the mounting area first.
Yeah, you can't let it sit after putting it in. Need to drive it a while to distribute it.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can use tire bead sealer. It works. The best thing to do is remove the tire, clean both the wheels and tires, add some bead sealer and remount.

You can also break the bead on one side. Clean the tire and wheel as best possible add bead sealer, re-inflate. This works best if one side is the problem. If you have to do both sides. Its less work to take the tire off.

I'm sure your current wheels are fixable. I've done this both ways but I also have a tire machine.

The key is finding an old school tire shop to do it, not goodyear or firestone or michelin dealers.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
New rims for my Tahoe... I bought these from another tire shop. They were about $300.00 less than Les Schwab. They're black and powder coated. (think that's the name).

New rims-Tahoe.jpg

xeninworx

Reaction score
The shop that told you steel rims were bad were clearly trying to take you for a fool. Glad you didn’t buy from them. The new wheels are painted black with a machined face then clear coat over.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
And, I've driven over a week and no air loss. When I bought these the manager told me if they ever leaked, they could be powder coated again. At my age I doubt I'll still be driving by then.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back