I went to the local rapist, I mean dealer !

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
I have spent the last 2 days shopping for a new 2013 5.0. My local rapist has a Gotta Have It Green (1st choice of color) Auto, w/401A option pkg, but, they want my 2010 Challenger R/T and $14K ... yeah right! I told them, they weren't even half way close to what I would trade for. My Challenger (Plum Crazy Purple w/Classic pkg), is absolutely perfect in every way and loaded to the gills with options including navigation. I went to a larger dealer out of town and they are at around 9K for a DIB, Auto w/301A pkg. I'm pretty sure I should be around 6K trade difference, but I can't get anyone in that range ... what to do??? Should I follow the advice of the Kung Fu masters and be patient grasshopper or bite the bullet? I knew I should have stopped reading all of the 5.0 threads ... :thud:

P.S. Keeping my '07 and currently installing a KB 2.6 muhaaaa !!!
:beerdrink:

Last edited:

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
being this is a classified add $5 for said chalenger. in all seriousness id attemp to see the car then buy the 5.0 although your giving up some tax money that route or just keep shoping dealers

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I would do this... I would go to a dealership: talk them down on the 5.0 to where you are happy and then bring up the trade in afterwards. Then tell them you will take kbb, nada trade in for it. If they can do that then I would do it. I've done something similar to this before and it has worked pretty well.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
They're about the same. I would say there's at least a $3k difference between the 301A and 401A packages....so they're not offering you any more for your trade.

stang7300

Mostly Insane...
Reaction score
I know I'll get flamed, but I think the Challengers are beautiful cars...big 'ol tanks but beautiful. And you're putting a KB on your '07. I wouldn't even bother with a 5.0 at this time if I had those two cars.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have spent the last 2 days shopping for a new 2013 5.0. My local rapist has a Gotta Have Green (1st choice of color) Auto, w/401A option pkg, but, they want my 2010 Challenger R/T and $14K ... yeah right! I told them, they weren't even half way close to what I would trade for. My Challenger (Plum Crazy Purple w/Classic pkg), is absolutely perfect in every way and loaded to the gills with options including navigation. I went to a larger dealer out of town and they are at around 9K for a DIB, Auto w/301A pkg. I'm pretty sure I should be around 6K trade difference, but I can't get anyone in that range ... what to do??? Should I follow the advice of the Kung Fu masters and be patient grasshopper or bite the bullet? I knew I should have stopped reading all of the 5.0 threads ... :thud:

P.S. Keeping my '07 and currently installing a KB 2.6 muhaaaa !!!
:beerdrink:

How does the deal break down? If you itemized it what would the Mustang price be before incentives? What would the trade value of your Challenger be? Do you save any tax money by trading?

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
How does the deal break down? If you itemized it what would the Mustang price be before incentives? What would the trade value of your Challenger be? Do you save any tax money by trading?

I really haven't gotten to the paperwork stage yet, essentially on the GHIG w/401A pkg it's 34000 for their car and 20000 for the trade vehicle. KBB shows a trade value of 25xxx for the Challenger, NADA shows 268xx, if I remember correctly ...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You do know you can't go by KBB/NADA anymore, right? The dealers call whoever they use at auctions and whatever the going rate is for your car that is what they offer you...maybe a litlle more since they don't have to transport it but no where near what KBB/NADA says.

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
You do know you can't go by KBB/NADA anymore, right? The dealers call whoever they use at auctions and whatever the going rate is for your car that is what they offer you...maybe a litlle more since they don't have to transport it but no where near what KBB/NADA says.

Shouldn't you still be able to utilize those prices (KBB NADA) as baseline number? Also, why doesn't anyone sell their own car's anymore, they out source the vehicle right off the bat to a wholesaler. I don't really understand how you can have a used lot and yet not want/try to sell a perfectly good one instead of some POS from the auction house.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope.....been there and done that....I printed out the KBB price and the dealer ship said as long as someone named Kelly comes in and is willing to give you that price for your car we will give it to you at that price! It is a harsh reality check...and if by some chance they do give you the KBB/NADA price then they won't take much off the price of the new car.

Most places want late model low mileage cars that are still under warranty so if there is something wrong the car is covered and is on someone else's dime...plus they know what brands/style/option combo's sell as far as used cars go so they are really only interested in them.

Private party sales are a PITA; you have to arrange for a showing, hope they show up, deal with tire kickers and low ball offers, hope they can get financed, listen to their sob stories, etc....

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
Update, the dealer in a nearby city offered to trade for around 7K on a DIB, Auto w/301A option pkg. I Still feel a 'lil butt hurt and undecided. I absolutely love the Challenger (not as much as a Mustang), as it a pleasure to drive. They are roomy, comfortable and look sexy as hell. This car has gotten more looks and compliments than any other car I have ever owned. In the end however, I am a mustang guy!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I really haven't gotten to the paperwork stage yet, essentially on the GHIG w/401A pkg it's 34000 for their car and 20000 for the trade vehicle. KBB shows a trade value of 25xxx for the Challenger, NADA shows 268xx, if I remember correctly ...

You can go to www.forddirect.com and search dealer inventory so you know who has what you want or get vin numbers.

Do the whole deal as seperate transactions. The price of what your are buying, the price of your trade, and the financing. It keeps things simple.

I keep a sheet of paper with me that has vin numbers and dealerships the cars are located at, invoice prices, current incentives, credit score and financing rates with payments broken down for various financed amounts and rates, and trade appraisals. Doing my homework prior to a purchase helps me keep a clear head during the purchase.

The numbers paper makes the whole buying process easier especially at signing.

You are looking at the right time. It's the end of the month and end of the quarter. If you don't make a deal now there is a good chance of a better deal next week.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Like people are saying... Talk to them about the price of the car... Then start talking about the trade in.

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
2010 Challenger - Plum Crazy Purple - 19700 miles
Pwr seats, leather, navigation, sunroof, Not one flaw or blemish, little Hemi and loaded.

588.jpg

589.jpg

590.jpg

591.jpg

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
They are wanting you to take the first offer. I have gone through quite a few cars the past several years. How I work a deal is:

1. I will pay this amount for this.
2. I want this amount for my trade.

I will negotiate a very small % off those prices and if they can't meet me I walk. I have made friends with my Ford salesman using this method and will not buy a Ford from anyone else. My last purchase from him was the last week of 2012 for a 2012 GT. Just under $27K before TT&L.

Wait until the last week of the year and they will want to sell you the car you want on your terms to meet their numbers. ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back