Intake Air temps

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to insulating some more lines for the killer chiller. Id say i have about 80% of the engine bay lines insulated, both coolant and refrigerant lines alike.

Since the GT500 has a brace/mount for the pump that spans the area between the front bumper supports, and the regular GT's do not, I had no way of mounting my Killer Chiller before so i took the poor man's way out. On GT500's they mount to this bracket. I sat the Chiller unit on top of the heat exchanger and using heavy duty nylon zip ties, zip tied it down. I also zip tied it to the bumper support. That thing wasnt going anywhere. However set up like this, the heat exchanger was just blocking a direct path for air to go to the condenser.

Today I went to home depot and got a metal bar that I cut and drilled holes into and bolted it to the mounting brackets that the heat exchanger used. This provided me a mounting location to properly mount the chiller unit. It also freed up space on the condenser to install the auxiliary electric fan that came with my kit.

Between insulating more lines, installing the aux fan and freeing up a clearer more direct path for the air to hit the condenser, i ended up with this as my IAT temps cruising around at 70mph on the freeway

2-7.jpg

Of course at WOT I will see higher temps. I did a few test runs on the highway. 3rd and 4th gears winding them out. I was seeing 16psi and my IATs went to 105-107 and stayed till i got off the gas. Id say that's pretty damned impressive in my book. I am seeing 65-70 degree fluid temps. And the best part is It's still gonig to go lower. I do not have the system fully charged with R134a yet so its not at optimum cooling capacity yet and still got a few more lines to insulate

Joe at Killer Chiller was also telling me that the sensors used by ford, and in the supercharger kits are extremely prone to heat soak, and constantly read 10-15 degrees hotter than actual IAT's while they struggle to keep up. Any truth to this? He said he ran some tests using an insulated sensor and it proved to be an average of 10-15 degree difference between a non insulated sensor like we all use.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the big tank and the big HE as well. They cant even compare to the KC setup. I jsut removed the HE completely and will either build a new tank this winter for a nice 2-3 gallon size or find a way to just take up space in this one

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I have the big tank and the big HE as well. They cant even compare to the KC setup. I jsut removed the HE completely and will either build a new tank this winter for a nice 2-3 gallon size or find a way to just take up space in this one

The Killer Chill cools the motor and the S/C as well, correct?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no. The motor and S/C do not share coolant.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I know that, the diagram just made it confusing that they have on their site, but that is probably just me lol

Wes

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome man! We've got a Lightning customer to tune coming up soon with one of these, looking forward to seeing it in action.

How much of a drop do you see at WOT now?

Wes

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im seeing over a 40 degree drop now. Im low in R134a by a few ounces and i haven't insulated the A/C lines yet so i expect to see at least another 15 degrees at mimimum.

once i move to a smaller tank they should drop even more

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back