Intake pipe for Vortech supercharger

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Belt yes, idler no.

How much smaller of a belt?

We took the stock(larger) idler off and put the smaller idler on so I would think instead of getting a smaller belt I could just put the larger idler back on...right?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg that 10.5 lbs your seeing at the manifold on the 3.6" pulley with charge cooler(1psi loss) and longtubes would probably show up as 11-12 psi on a stock exhuast car. I think your already where you want to be on boost although it would be easiest/cheapest way to get a 3.33" pulley, not sure if thats the best choice if you wanna stay safe and reliable. I know its hard to leave it alone though!

Also your going to need to swap in that bigger idler pulley and maybe a shorter belt for that pulley if/when u decide to put it on lol

And i ahve a feeling a wekk after the 3.33" is on your going to be lookimg at options 2 and 3 again :)

Well......I am dancing with the devil as I bought the pulley....if it gets too much when I am on the dyno I can re-install the 3.6 pulley-YEAH RIGHT!

Guess I need to start talking to Mike about costs of a forged bottom end....:rant:

Formula

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running a 3.4 pulley with the powerpipe, but not sure how much boost I'm running. I also have longtubes and a stock longblock.

My boost gauge has a kink in the line or something, its saying I have 7psi... (and when the boost raises its stepping up instead of being real smooth.)

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What were your numbers with the 3.4 pulley and power pipe?

What blower do you have? Is a 3.4 a Vortech pulley?

Formula

forum member
Reaction score
On a mustang dyno sae weather corrected:
Stock: 230whp/257tq @6000
V3 w/3.8 pulley - non-cooled (brenspeed email tune): 343whp/339tq @6000
V3 w/3.4 pulley cooled, amf pipe, bbk lt headers, driveshaft (lasota dyno tune): 426whp/417tq @5800

for reference a stocker with an eforce made 360whp on this dyno.

The 3.4 is a vortech pulley (3.8,3.6,3.48,3.4 are the sizes I dropped) and I needed a new belt.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you an automatic as well?

I am suprised there is a 3.4 pulley as well as a 3.33.....doesn't make sense to me.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He alreasy has 2 different size idlers that came with his kit.
Right, but he doesn't need to run one or the other. He can run either, whichever works with the smaller supercharger pulley.

Hell, I'd like mod-mania ride and get a reinforced idler, slap on the 3.33" pulley, and get whatever belt fits. That's what I did. :)

Last edited:

Formula

forum member
Reaction score
Are you an automatic as well?

I am suprised there is a 3.4 pulley as well as a 3.33.....doesn't make sense to me.

its a standard transmission.

The sizes they make are more for increasing boost by 1-2 lbs per size. the smaller they get, the less size difference there is between each pulley.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a 1-2 psi boost increase going from a 3.4 to a 3.33....

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Right, but he doesn't need to run one or the other. He can run either, whichever works with the smaller supercharger pulley.

Hell, I'd like mod-mania ride and get a reinforced idler, slap on the 3.33" pulley, and get whatever belt fits. That's what I did. :)

Huh?, if he makes the supercharger pulley slightly smaller and puts in the slightly larger idler pulley he doesnt have to change the belt length, thats what were saying.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Huh?, if he makes the supercharger pulley slightly smaller and puts in the slightly larger idler pulley he doesnt have to change the belt length, thats what were saying.
We're both saying the same thing. Like I told him by PM, either:

1. Use the bigger idler pulley and probably keep the same belt.
  2. Use the smaller idler pulley and size the belt accordingly.
My point was he's not bound to one or the other. Do whatever makes ya happy.

Formula

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a 1-2 psi boost increase going from a 3.4 to a 3.33....

I agree with you 100%, I'm just repeating Vortech ( http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=42 )

So my boost gauge is accurate, I'm only making 7 lbs of boost with the 3.4 pulley, intercooler, and headers (my shop checked today). I was making 8 with the non-cooled setup, 3.8 pulley and stock exhaust manifolds. Those headers and intercooler must give it quite the pressure drop.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So my boost gauge is accurate, I'm only making 7 lbs of boost with the 3.4 pulley, intercooler, and headers (my shop checked today). I was making 8 with the non-cooled setup, 3.8 pulley and stock exhaust manifolds. Those headers and intercooler must give it quite the pressure drop.
Hmmm. I was making 10-12 psi with the 3.33" pulley, long tubes, and an air/air intercooler.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, I'm just repeating Vortech ( http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=42 )

LT's or shorties? Are you using delete plates?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We're both saying the same thing. Like I told him by PM, either:

1. Use the bigger idler pulley and probably keep the same belt.
  2. Use the smaller idler pulley and size the belt accordingly.
My point was he's not bound to one or the other. Do whatever makes ya happy.

Gotcha finally on the same page.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Our intake is the same as I have the 2010; I installed the Steeda plugs in mine.

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
its a standard.

The sizes they make are more for increasing boost by 1-2 lbs per size. the smaller they get, the less size difference there is between each pulley.

Wait, when did they start offering a 3.40 pulley? I could have sworn that wasn't there a week ago when I was looking.

I'm running a 3.60 on stock block w/ V2 HO and was told by Justin at VMP to go with the 3.33 instead of the 3.48 I had sitting on the shelf. Still wondering if that's going to be too much boost. I'm currently just clipping 8 with my aftercooler and stock manifolds.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, never heard of the 3.4...thought it went from 3.6 to 3.33...I can't see any reason why they would offer a 3.4 and a 3.33..what could the boost/power difference be between those 2 pullies?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back