Intakes Systems... without a Tune

Adomis63

Reaction score
Hey there guys

Recently I had noticed a worn spot in my intake tube that may or may not be letting air in past the maf sensor. It's still been running great. Regardless, I've been interested in getting a fancy lookin CAI anyways to replace this with.

I know the general consensus is to not waste money on systems without a tune because that's basically where you get the power from. However, I really am not looking for any more power (call me boring) - basically my whole rig is stock and I'd like a new intake for the sound, and looks. I don't really want to open a can of worms messing with the tune as I figure that would limit the number of things that can cause problems in the future.

What're your thoughts? Any recommendations? Am I crazy?

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
From your profile picture, it looks like you have the 05-09, I can’t tell if it’s a 4.6 or the 4.0. The 4.6 will benefit from a CAI, but realistically most gains are probably from the tune.
I have no experience with the 4.0 CAI, so I’m not much help if that’s what you have.
From my understanding, the 5.0 not so much benefit from a CAI as the factory one will flow much more that stock HP requires.
Whatever you have, a good tune will definitely help wake up the car.
If you don’t want to get a tune, then you definitely need a no tune required intake, as you will get a lean condition otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
No-tune intakes exist. I had one...and S&B, I believe. It was more to dress up the engine bay though. I think K&N makes one too, with some sort of insert to match stock air flow.
I did get a JLT with tune later on, and that really woke things up. The tune isn't just for more power, shift points were changed, AFR changed, and the car just ran better. Absolutely floored me! Of course, then you want more, and down the rabbit hole I went.

The route you take is completely up to you. There are good options for both. And both are very easy diys.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I had a no-tune intake I picked up for like $20 before I got into the car too deep and it had a better sound but no real noticeable change in how it drove. If you’re going to get a tuner down the line I’d just wait and buy the tuner/intake combo, if you have no plans to tune it I’d just scout out a used factory intake on Craigslist and keep it factory.

Adomis63

Reaction score
It's a 4.6 with a 5 speed. With the miles it has on it, I'm not chasing performance, just a fun driver. I figure an intake with axle backs would at least sound cool.

My brother has a 4.0 I'd be interested if an intake/tune would make much of a change there haha.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
In my Opinion:

Appearance? BBK with the aluminum finish

Performance? JLT widemouth. Retune when you can afford it.

My Srang came with the BBK. If I ever change? Will be with the Department of Boost supercharger. Completely different set-up

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just put the stock air box back on. The JLT 2, which is tune required, offered no power increase.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda has nice looking Intakes available. They have options for both tune and no tune. You can get one for a tune and remove the :"baffle" they use.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back