Intercooler vortech v3 novi 1200

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
How are the CX racing intercoolers for these set ups? Word is always they take a lot of the boost away. Any of you used this set up before and if so how does it perform and how well does the intercooler flow?

Thank you.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
i used the kit to convert my non-intercooled 1200 to intercooled. i'm using a 3.48" pulley i believe and boost comes in at about 4000rpm at around 3-4psi and max out at 8psi at 6500rpm. i dyno'd at 453hp and 432tq on a mustang dyno. check my sig for other mods. imo it's a good kit there's just no instructions so there's some guesswork on piping. They have a youtube video that helped me get it on.
f4xGhB0

rqVzgSC

46addict

Reaction score
i used the kit to convert my non-intercooled 1200 to intercooled. i'm using a 3.48" pulley i believe and boost comes in at about 4000rpm at around 3-4psi and max out at 8psi at 6500rpm. i dyno'd at 453hp and 432tq on a mustang dyno. check my sig for other mods. imo it's a good kit there's just no instructions so there's some guesswork on piping. They have a youtube video that helped me get it on.
f4xGhB0

rqVzgSC

Did you lose any boost after the intercooler went on?

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Did you lose any boost after the intercooler went on?

if you want to stay at same boost level you have to go down pulley size. i think stock pulley is 3.60 on non-intercooled. i went to a 3.48". and am actually going to put on a 3.33" today so i hopefully can hit 8psi around 6k rpm instead of having to take the motor all the way to 6500.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
What pulley comes on the 2200 kit? Can you upgrade this without other modifications?(like upgrading to the 8 rib belt)
I feel like after I had my cam installed it doesn't hit the same PSI that it did before the cam went in

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
What pulley comes on the 2200 kit? Can you upgrade this without other modifications?(like upgrading to the 8 rib belt)
I feel like after I had my cam installed it doesn't hit the same PSI that it did before the cam went in

i could be wrong but i believe it's a 3.48" on the 2200 kit.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I should be able to find out in a minute what stock 2200 is. But I think it would be bigger than the 3.48 since it would be moving more air at same rpm.

Edit: talked to a guy who got a 2200 new. He got it 8 rib new and had option for the 3.48 or 3.33 and went 3.33 from the beginning. So I was wrong lol. Must just be when the 2200 is spinning faster it really starts to shine and move more air. The 1200 is a little better at moving air at slower compressor speeds in its peak efficiency. So like me I'm better with the 1200 cause I'll never push the 2200 hard enough lol.

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score

Cams will bleed off boost due to the LSA. If you did a custom grind you'll get that boost back since it wont bleed it off. A small set of cams will be okay. I run detroit rockers and lito said not much difference between these and stock when I go paxton. The hot rods bleed much more than mine and the comps bigger than the 127450's aren't good for boost either as well as muther thumpers.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Cams will bleed off boost due to the LSA. If you did a custom grind you'll get that boost back since it wont bleed it off. A small set of cams will be okay. I run detroit rockers and lito said not much difference between these and stock when I go paxton. The hot rods bleed much more than mine and the comps bigger than the 127450's aren't good for boost either as well as muther thumpers.

I have the N/A grind of Detroit Rockers. The car seems to still pull pretty hard, but I don't think its hitting the 8/9 psi it is rated at. As I have said in previous posts, Brenspeed recommended me to get the N/A grind with a centri s/c in case you are wondering.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you reduce boost by putting a new intercooler in, is that not a good thing? I mean if the blower is spinning the same speed with everything else the same and boost drops, that means you are getting more air into the cylinders, no?

I put a bigger intercooler and pipes on my little turbo solstice and boost dropped and power went up.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
If you reduce boost by putting a new intercooler in, is that not a good thing? I mean if the blower is spinning the same speed with everything else the same and boost drops, that means you are getting more air into the cylinders, no?

I put a bigger intercooler and pipes on my little turbo solstice and boost dropped and power went up.

The efficiency of the charge went up. Cooler charge more power. But intercooler will always drop boost. Impeller is still moving same amount of air though but its getting caught up in the intercooler to cool. Which is a good thing. But also a less restrictive intercooler is even better.

46addict

Reaction score
The hot rods bleed much more than mine and the comps bigger than the 127450's aren't good for boost either as well as muther thumpers.

The Comp Cam part numbers ending in 50 are blower grinds. I did notice a drop in LSA from the 127350 to 127450, going from a 116.5* LSA to 113*.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Gavin did you ever switch to the 3.33 pulley if so what were results? Curious as I have a similar set up I'm working on.
Hey Craig, yeah he did I've been talking to him a lot about it. He was telling me he loves it and the boost comes in much sooner and he was at around 450/430 for power and tq to the rear and hasn't dynoed it since. He was at 8psi at 6500rpm and now at 10 psi at 6500rpm. I believe he is hitting 8psi now at 6000rpm. I'd estimate 480ish toe the rear and 440ish tq

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Gavin did you ever switch to the 3.33 pulley if so what were results? Curious as I have a similar set up I'm working on.
i believe you got ahold of me on facebook, hit me up if you have anymore questions i'll help with what i can!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back