Interior Leak

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Started noticing a musty smell in my son's '05 and after some investigation, found water under the carpet but only in the rear passenger foot well areas. Removing the seats, lower trim and carpet, we found water under the carpet in both rear passenger foot well areas.
Both sides of the carpet had active mold growth on the jute padding:

Set the carpet out to dry but think we will replace it anyway. Dried up the interior and set out to find the source. The drains for the fire wall HVAC cold air intake were clear and there wasn't any water present. Ran water along the base of the windshield to see if water was getting past the wiper trim sections and it was all good. Ran water on the 1/4 windows, all good there. Ran water along the roof edge with it running onto the door glass and started to get water running into the rear passenger foot wells. My son was watching the water come down the B pillar body seam, track over the seam as it approached the sill and then along the interior edge pooling in the rear foot well. Both the driver and passenger side were doing the same.

The rubber door glass seal looks really good and seals tight against the glass. The door drains were clear and draining well. Checked a parts diagram and see there's a seal between the hard trim that holds the rubber door glass seal and body. That part never comes off and it should be fine, right? Wrong!

Removed the rubber door glass seal and then the screws securing the hard trim to the door opening. Removed the hard trim and find said seal in piss poor condition at the rear corner:

And along the top edge:

I'm guessing the seal was either pulled too tight when it was installed or it shrunk and came off the hard trim resulting in voids between the hard trim and door opening which is allowing the water to gain entry to the interior.

New seal installed on the hard trim:

Door opening cleaned and prepped for re-installation of the hard trim:

Once it was all back together, we water boarded the Mustang to see if it'd break. No luck, all good and dry on the interior.

The part numbers:
7R3Z-63025A70-A Seal Right
7R3Z-63025A71-A Seal Left

This was on a 22,000 mile '05 that was garage kept for the first 11 years and I wouldn't think these seals failed under good storage conditions. Who knows why shit fails sometimes.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
I just changed them. They were no where near as bad as yours structurally but yeah the material was flattened to like .01mm

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Really good info, OP. I'm not sure I've ever seen this discussed.

The End

Reaction score
Thanks for this, noticed this same leak on my 05 and was going to investigate this morning.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced all that stuff and still managed to have leaks. I have slowed them still have not gotten them all sorted.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back