Iron rear axle weights needed - help my whiner 'stang!

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Edit: Rear axle weights found & purchased; mebbe some useful info if you have whine

Edit 06-12-2012: Axle weights found & purchased. No longer need to buy. If you have whining rear axle, this thread may have some useful info starting at post 10 with pretty good results in post 17.

Original text:

WTB a pair of the big/ugly/heavy/rusty iron axle weights used on some cars (2007 and later?) and the bolts if ya' have 'em.

Appears a lot of people take 'em off to get rid of dead weight... here's me trying to ADD dead weight. Go figure.

They're not terribly large but are heavy so shipping will cost. Howzabout $45 for a pair shipped to 81089?

Can do paypal if ya' have an account.

Thanks in advance!

Micke

shark_10.jpg

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
obxdude, thanks for the quick reply! I'll google it and see if I can figure out whether they are the same..

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not finding part numbers for the iron weights for either the 7.5 or 8.8 axle in any of the online Ford parts diagrams. I suspect they were installed mostly under TSB's, so part numbers may be harder to come by??

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to Ford Parts Giant. I'll have to keep that as they show more info than other dealers I was searching. They mix base and GT under the 4.6 axle tab, so it is a bit vague but I think you are reading it correctly. Appears they are the same.

I found the TSB for the "tuned axle damper" kit related to whine and it does not differentiate between Mustang base or GT so I think you are right. Seems like the 4.0 stangs have the 7.5" axle, correct?

Ok. $45 shipped sound ok to you?

Micke

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I found the TSB for the "tuned axle damper" kit related to whine and it does not differentiate between Mustang base or GT so I think you are right. Seems like the 4.0 stangs have the 7.5" axle, correct?

Ok. $45 shipped sound ok to you?

Micke

I put a 8.8 in my car since I am doing a v6-v8 swap.

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, for others who may try to do this in the future: It appears the new superseded part number is singular now; it includes both weights whereas they were previously sold as a right and a left separately. The new part number is: 5R3Z3C246A

It can be purchased for $62 new in fleabay plus $9 shipping.

Micke

edit: Here is the diagram. The legend showing the round symbol for 3C246 footnotes to the big ugly cast iron weights in question. Unknown where this image is from as it is not attributed - but I can guess..:

axle_w11.jpg

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Ford apparently applied them under TSB to control whine.

They are considered "tuned" weights, whatever that is supposed to mean. I already got rid of 1/2 of my diff whine by going from RP to something else.. tryin' to get rid of some more of the minimal whine remaining.

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
obxdude018, correct weights received in good condition. Thank you for shipping fast! I'm adding to your iTrader rating now and would appreciate same.

Micke

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Weights installed; a couple of hours driving today around town, highway and interstate speeds that yield whine are now audible in a narrower band of speeds than before - so at some speeds, the noise is just plain GONE.

Where the whine is still present, it is only reduced by about 20% by the weights, but still worth it for me. This is a street car and sees mostly highway miles.

In my experience as a mechanic, most customers would now happily accept the car. And if someone wasn't tuned in to this frequency, they probably wouldn't notice it at all.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Back