It’s all in the toon…

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
(*Disclaimer – This thread is NOT to bash anyone, just explain my results with converting to a CJ setup)

So last year I bit the bullet and decided to void my warranty in glorious fashion. I decided that I wanted to install a CJ intake and full exhaust. In my research I found that it would be prudent to install the billet oil pump gears and upgrade to boss valve springs to spin it up to 8k to get the bang for the buck from the CJ swap. I also installed the FRPP exhaust cams as well since I got them for $150 shipped… I was torn on the tuner and after much reading various forums and talking to others I decided to use AED. So after the install, the first start up on the base AED tune went fine. Did some required datalogs before the wot pull. Car ran good but some small idle issues. Three revisions later, idle improved but still would hunt on occasion. AED told me to do an idle relearn and called it good. I was happy, but the throttle response was the best I could describe as “muted” and would still hunt for idle sometimes. AED explained that is how he tunes for the large mono-blade CJ throttle body. Sounded good to me and drove the car.

About two months later I had what seemed to be a Throttle body failure. I got it used from SVT and after talking with AED found out the seller flips Summit returns… So I had to buy another one new and got some of my money back on the other one… I will say a big thank you to Shaun about that as I wouldn’t have had any clue to why my “only used to test fit” TB went bad…

So fast forward to May and the release of HP tuners and nGauge for our Fords. After learning about what HP tuners is doing vs SCT, I really wanted to try it out. But AED was an SCT shop so I decided to try Lund. The base tune was very close, only needed three datalogs and two revisions. The car idles like stock and throttle response is instant, like a cable. The nGauge live datalogging as a great tool as well. Right now I am monitoring knock, coolant temp, incoming ait temp and MPH. Overall very impressed with the drivability and the throttle response. For me that part is huge, with the AED tune it did feel like I lost some low end torque with the muted throttle. But with the Lund tune, not even close. It feels just like it did stock with low end grunt. So now after logging about 1500 miles on the Lund tune, I can safely say it was worth it. Car is smooth as silk, idles like its stock and very docile until I hit the throttle. WOT just roast the tires at will, from a roll or dig. No disrespect to AED, any issues I had he took care of. But for me Lund has this Coyote down pat. I can’t wait for HP Tuners/Lund to get KAM resets and crank relearn capabilities so I can sell my X4.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad it has works out, however, somethings sound odd.

You replaced the entire TB? I know u posted about the issue a year ago, you could not replace the motor?

A big mono blade on a NA car?

Last edited:

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
The Mono-blade with the CJ works well, at the time the mono-blade was $100 cheaper than the twin 65mm and AED didn't tune for it either...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back