Let's talk cams.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I put in HR cams for my Bullitt when it was a DD.

With LT's, FRPP Manifold, 65mm TB, JLT 110 mm and 3.73's it put down 353rwhp, 325rwtq. I was not expecting it to be that high. That was tuned on a dyno. The dyno tune ended up being shit because the car could not function with the A/C on, and stress coming from the power steering pump. I had many revisions and they didn't do anything.

I ended up getting an AM/Bama tune and it helped out and the power felt better.

I removed the cams two months later since they started annoying me driving daily. I did have corsa mufflers which did take a good amount of the blame, but I hated hearing the throw out bearing when the car was sitting in traffic/idling. It would sound like something was broken rattling. Plus there were other quirks. However, nothing beats the sound of them. I'd sit behind the car just listening to it warm up.

If I did it again, I would have skipped all those mods and threw on an affordable yet reliable M90.

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I love my hot rods. I did the install myself without any special tools except an inch pound torque wrench from harbor freight.

I'm tuned with Bama. Track times unfortunately didn't improve (ok, they did by .03 seconds). However, when I had just my longtubes and ran, it was a fairly cold day, I remember wearing a sweatshirt. This year with the cams it was almost 90 IIRC. So weather could have played a role. I ran 13.4xx @ around 108. Obviously I should be in the 12's with that mph, but the stock dry rotted pirelli's are really limiting me.

Butt dyno. Yeah it's useless but that's where the satisfaction comes from. You can definitely tell the power band was moved up. When launching above 2500 at the track it just sits there and spins, though, where it used to spin and start to hook up. It pulls all the way to redline now as well. The power's definitely there, I just wish I would've seen a difference at the track, but again that could've been weather. We all know how badly these cars can heat soak.

Also, after doing some highway pulls on cars that seemed to pull HARD on me at the track, it was completely the other way around. Just gotta get launching down with some real tires.

In short, I do love my hot rods. The sound, the shake, everything was worth it. I had a $50 gift card for AM and after discount only ended up paying in the neighborhood of $630. I also bought my phaser bolts through Tousley as AM was out, and ended up being a few bucks cheaper even after shipping, so oh well.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
I got my Detroit rockers for a little under 700$ after black Friday. They're worth imo for the sound.

Sent from my helicopter

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess I'll speak for the Comp Cams. The 127020 has been an excellent cam for me. There are some mild differences between the FRPP cam and 020's. I still prefer my cam over the hot rods. I also run the FRPP Intake Mani, which I still believe is absolute overkill for N/A, it does increase the power curve to around 6700rpm peak with some small power gains. Not worth the killed bottom end, but such is the N/A life. To N/A advantage, the setup did produce some nice N2O numbers. The numbers don't do the nitrous power curve justice though. It's a sweet ride when it all works together. I have a feeling the cams will shake the motor/car apart before the engine ever gives out from over-reving or bad gas, lol.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
I have Comp 127020 as well. Lock-outs or limiters are not a big deal to install, but I guess if you're on a tight budget they are added cost. I think both hotrods and the Mutha Thumprs will both offer a great lumpy idle that you'll enjoy. I chose the Mutha Thumprs because I saw threads where they were showing better gains over hotrods. I'm sure someone will argue that, but dyno numbers don't matter to me. I've run a best of 12.24 @110 with bolt ons, a small amount of weight reduction, and some suspension.

Jambarino

forum member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat deciding on cams.My nearest shop recommended Comp 127020 over hot rods,they recently installed 127030 on a 2010 and gained 50 hp from the just the cams but the low end power under 3500 rpm was demolished.I am still undecided.I have narrowed it down to BBR stage 1's,hot rods,or mutha thumpr's.I am not just out for sound I want good power as well,but can't afford springs and retainers it doubles my install cost almost.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am in the same boat deciding on cams.My nearest shop recommended Comp 127020 over hot rods,they recently installed 127030 on a 2010 and gained 50 hp from the just the cams but the low end power under 3500 rpm was demolished.I am still undecided.I have narrowed it down to BBR stage 1's,hot rods,or mutha thumpr's.I am not just out for sound I want good power as well,but can't afford springs and retainers it doubles my install cost almost.

You won't notice much difference on the low end because of your 4.10 gears and auto imo. IIRC 4.10 in an auto is about the same as 4.30 in a 5 speed.

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
Hot Rods here for the past 4 years, drivability is perfect. Mine made 342 with cai, pulleys, short tubes and deletes, 410 gear. Its all in the tuner with the Hot Rods. Love my cams.

Jambarino

forum member
Reaction score
You won't notice much difference on the low end because of your 4.10 gears and auto imo. IIRC 4.10 in an auto is about the same as 4.30 in a 5 speed.

Yeah rpm range is close with 4.10 in an auto vs 4.30 in a 5 speed.My tuner is comfortable with the mutha thumpr's so I am leaning towards them and the BBR stage ones more so than hot rods.The idle on the mutha thumprs is almost too exaggerated for my taste but the idle settings have a lot to do with that from what I have read.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'll chime in here too. I installed the hot rod cams in my 05 this winter with a Bama hybrid tune and I am very satisfied. Like you I went round and round with what cam to go with. For me the deciding factor for the frpps was that you didn't need to lock out the limiters. Ford spent alot of time and money to develope the VCT system in the car and I didn't want to limit its function in any way. So that along with the decent power gains, and awesome sound helped me make my choice. The whole deal cost me about 800 as I did the work myself and went with the Bama tune. I definatly recommend these cams and would do them again in future projects.

Blackbird1084

forum member
Reaction score
This really makes me want to get the 020's I have put in. I only paid $270 shipped for the cams/limiters, $200 for a tune from jpc, and I'll be installing them myself. My best so far n/a has been 12.72@108 on slick and lightweight wheels. With 19's 12.92@106 is all it will muster.

fzr confused

Reaction score
What about the Detroit rockers? I'm trying to decide between those or the hot rods.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
This really makes me want to get the 020's I have put in. I only paid $270 shipped for the cams/limiters, $200 for a tune from jpc, and I'll be installing them myself. My best so far n/a has been 12.72@108 on slick and lightweight wheels. With 19's 12.92@106 is all it will muster.
WHAT? I need a deal like that.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back