Let's talk cams.

forum member
Reaction score
Hot Rods here for the past 4 years, drivability is perfect. Mine made 342 with cai, pulleys, short tubes and deletes, 410 gear. Its all in the tuner with the Hot Rods. Love my cams.
Would you mind sharing who tuned your car?

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats man! You'll love 'em! Nothing beats the first start up after install as it settles into the lope. I can't remember the last time I grinned that much.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
I remember the first time I fired up my car after I had the cams installed. I had a sh*t eatin' grin from ear to ear. My neighbours didn't like it as much as I did though ;)

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
I also remember the first time I fired mine up after the install. I did long tubes at the same time and started it with open headers. My neighbors were running out of their houses to see wtf was going on Lol. It was LOUD.

Congrats Austin! You are going to love them.

Got Trq

Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread but are any of these cams good for blowers, or are there blower cams that anyone makes? I haven't seen any looking around on the different sites that sell them.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
If I recall BBR claims their cams to be good FI or N/A. I think they have a 114 LSA which isnt terrible on a FI car but not optimal. Detroit Rockers make a N/A and FI cam spec. I've seen the FRPP cams used on M90 cars but the torque production does suffer, still makes numbers. The comp 020's would be least ideal of all of them, being at a 109 LSA. You'd be huffing boost through the intake valves and right back out the exhaust valves.

That said, there are better FI cams to be had. 115-117 LSA is a typical blower cam, with fat exhaust lift/duration (leaning more toward turbo cams). Boost makes power regardless, but a N/A cam tends to push powerbands to the right, which can take away from the low-end grunt generally desired in a F/I setup. Higher RPM+Boost isn't internal friendly either.

As a general suggestion, Comp Cams 127450-550-650 are FI tailored cams. You could also have a custom cam cut to spec for your setup and desired boost level. This is probably one of the best ways to go to get the most out of your build.

Last edited:

the_shane

forum member
Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread but are any of these cams good for blowers, or are there blower cams that anyone makes? I haven't seen any looking around on the different sites that sell them.

I have the Brenspeed DR SC cams with a Vortech (non-intercooled) and they DID increase peak HP. Went from 450 to 480 hp. Probably could have made more but IATs were getting too hot.

Got Trq

Reaction score
I gotcha, my car is a twin screw s/c though so it will have more low end than a Centri or Turbo, does that make a difference with the cams?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score

I'm also interested in this. Admittedly I know nothing about cams except that they control when the valves open and close. Most of the acronyms used in this thread are unknown to me. I'm following this trying to pick up some knowledge in preparation for my build later this year.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I gotcha, my car is a twin screw s/c though so it will have more low end than a Centri or Turbo, does that make a difference with the cams?

It does make a difference. My cam knowledge is basic but for a twin screw you really want a little more lobe seperation.

Here's a sheet with stock cams and Comp 127300. At the time the car had 9.4 compression and stock heads along with a Whipple. Comp 127300 pop up for around $300 from time to time. Horsepower1 on ebay had a lot of the PJ cams from saleen and blew them out at around $300-$350. When people sell them they usually go for a good price.

It's a nice, mild cam that requires very little tuning wise to be as driveable as stock. The gains I made weren't too bad considering that we stopped at 11 degrees of cam retard at wot. I didn't want to make any more power, lol.

If I was doing it again and using comp cams I'd be inclined to go with 127450 or 550. Lunati has some interesting grinds to consider too.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
But... it doesnt get any easier than that! It even has pictures! :poke:

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Well this box showed up today at work ;) I'm excited!

Had to take one out and have a look...

Looking forward to get them installed in a couple weeks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back