Looking For The Ignition Coil Wire In My 08 GT

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased one of those exhaust flamethrower kits for my 08 GT (I know, keep opinions to yourself), and have everything just about wired up. All I need now is to find the one main wire that sends power to my 8 coil packs. I need to splice the included cutoff switch into that wire, but i cant seem to locate it. Does anyone who knows a little more about ford wiring have any insight on this matter. I would love to have this done so i can enjoy the fruits of my labor :wink:.

Here's the product link:
Amazon.com: BackFire Dual Universal Automotive Exhaust Flame Thrower Fire Complete Car,Motorcycle,Truck Fire Throwing Kit: Automotive

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, from what i can see with my admittedly limited electrical skills, the brown and pink (BR-PK) wire from the first page of the tech manual section seems to be where i have to splice in. Does this look right to you? I just want to be relatively sure of what i'm doing when I start cutting into pcm wires. Thanks for all the help

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Dont think so; coil power is like red/yellow.
But, why do you need 'coil power'? That is the same 12v switched power when the key is on; each bank gets power through a different wire from the BEC, same color to both sides.

If you're talking about the ground side of a coil as a trigger signal, that's different :)

If you really truly need key-on power, it is better to get it from somewhere else other than the engine harness.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
I need to be able to cut off power to the coils so at the push of a button, so i can have a sudden excess of fuel get thrown into the exhaust for a bigger flame. It's a common mod on catless engines since the 50s hot rod era, but I need to be able to keep everything running and only stop the spark.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I need to be able to cut off power to the coils so at the push of a button, so i can have a sudden excess of fuel get thrown into the exhaust for a bigger flame. It's a common mod on catless engines since the 50s hot rod era, but I need to be able to keep everything running and only stop the spark.

Wait, hahahaha. Your supposed to cut the ignition to build up fuel in the exhaust? Let me ask you something. If you interrupt the main ignition power source, isn't the engine gonna die? Just saying, wouldn't you rather cut power to a coil or two? It'll give you that lope in your idle like everybody seems to want. You could kill two birds with one stone.

And I'm not sure how "common" of a mod that is. I mean I've been wrenching on cars for almost 40 years and have only seen a flame throwing exhaust at an occasional car show. I don't actually think I've ever seen one on the street. I've seen flames come out of exhausts but I've never seen one set up to do it on purpose.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I've heard about this for years on carb'd cars. Yes, he want's to kill power to the plugs, but keep pumping fuel through the engine, then fire it back up and shoot fireballs, or blow his exhaust off, whichever comes first, lol

Cutting power to just 1 or 2 coil's won't achieve what he want's to do.

It looks like the BR/PK wire brings power to the PCM for the COPS, would this wire pulse with the firing of each COP or be constant power?

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
I've heard about this for years on carb'd cars. Yes, he want's to kill power to the plugs, but keep pumping fuel through the engine, then fire it back up and shoot fireballs, or blow his exhaust off, whichever comes first, lol

Cutting power to just 1 or 2 coil's won't achieve what he want's to do.

It looks like the BR/PK wire brings power to the PCM for the COPS, would this wire pulse with the firing of each COP or be constant power?

Thanks for the info, i'm still not sure exactly how everything goes together, i just need to cut off the coils momentarily (while holding a button) so the fuel can continue down the pipes to meet an exhaust tip mounted spark plug. From what i can see, the BR PK wire is the only separated wire, but digging through my wires, I cant seem to find it where it should the on the car. Does this look right to you?

Anyway, i think i blew a fuse digging around because now its not turning over. That's first on my list to fix, because you can't shoot flames from a dead car.:sunot:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
You may pick off of F40 which is a 15A fuse that provides the 12vdc to the COP's. The COP's have power on pin 3 (red wire) via the PCM Power Relay at any time in which ignition is on. The COP's fire when the PCM provides ground to them with respect to firing order individually. The wires according to the schematic that run from F40 to the splice point S119 and then to pin 1 of each COP are all red IAW the 2005 schematic.

Looking at the kit it appears all you need for the nostalgic package is 12 vdc via any ignition key on 12 vdc voltage source. I would not personally be tapping into the COP circuit for this as it clearly would benefit nothing and could possibly overload the 15a fuse killing power to the COPS and leaving you dead in the water. You may wish to seek another keyed voltage source using a device called an "add a circuit". Good luck.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
You may pick off of F40 which is a 15A fuse that provides the 12vdc to the COP's. The COP's have power on pin 3 (red wire) via the PCM Power Relay at any time in which ignition is on. The COP's fire when the PCM provides ground to them with respect to firing order individually. The wires according to the schematic that run from F40 to the splice point S119 and then to pin 1 of each COP are all red IAW the 2005 schematic.

Looking at the kit it appears all you need for the nostalgic package is 12 vdc via any ignition key on 12 vdc voltage source. I would not personally be tapping into the COP circuit for this as it clearly would benefit nothing and could possibly overload the 15a fuse killing power to the COPS and leaving you dead in the water. You may wish to seek another keyed voltage source using a device called an "add a circuit". Good luck.

Thanks for the info for the fuse, you were right about 40. Now that I have a running car, i can continue with searching for the splice point for the kit. Ill update if i manage to get it working.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, my car will hurl a fireball out the back with my wotbox, and it gives more features to be used otherwise :p

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
A friend of mine did this on his Harley, but it was with a injector in the tail pipe! Lol

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info for the fuse, you were right about 40. Now that I have a running car, i can continue with searching for the splice point for the kit. Ill update if i manage to get it working.

no problem. I'd really encourage an add a circuit for this device however.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, my car will hurl a fireball out the back with my wotbox, and it gives more features to be used otherwise :p

Same here, just removing the cats will shoot flames. Lean pops too, scares the shit out of innocent animals, women, and children.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Most flamethrower setups I have seen used a separate fuel source and a separate spark plug and buzzbox. You never, EVER want to tap into any computer controlled wiring harness!

jason prystae

Reaction score
I am currently installing the hot licks kit and having the same issue. Did this issue get resolved?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back